Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:16:37 AM
713407 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  It gets so damned expensive « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: It gets so damned expensive  (Read 7533 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: March 14, 2011, 10:14:31 AM »

Technology, that is. My wife and I got our income tax refund, and last year she was pregnant so our refund had to go toward covering our collective ass while she was on maturnity leave. This year we decide "okay, let's treat ourselves to something fun this time."

So, we decided to buy something we've talked about but never got around to buying: a flatscreen HD tv. We looked around online for deals, and decided we would be able to afford some of the sales of models that were in the 40" to 46" range. Once actually looking at model in-store, it became pretty obvious the picture-quality differences between the name brands and the cheapies like Dynex and Insignia. So we ended up going with a nice Sony 40" that was on sale for $575. On the low end of the size range we wanted, but very clearly a superior picture, so I was happy about it, especially since we stayed under $600 which was the goal.

On to a Blu-Ray player. We saw models online around the $100 mark that advertise being Wi-Fi ready so we can hook into NetFlix and Hulu and Pandora via our wireless network at home. We figured that we would probably go alittle higher than the entry models at $100 for quality reasons, but didn't expect to go higher than $150. Well, it turns out that "Wi-Fi ready" means that it's "ready" for you to add-on a Wi-Fi adapter which will cost an extra $80. They guy there pointed out we could save ourselves $20-$30 by going with "Wi-Fi built in." Hey, I'm a believer in the capitalist concept of "caveat emptor," but "Wi-Fi ready" is a very slippery term that kind of p**ses me off. Okay, so now we're at $200 for an item that will do what we want it to do, and we decided to go with Sony again for a little more quality.

Then we check out and find out if we want to watch the copy of Inception that we grabbed to be our first Blu-Ray in Hi-Def like we wanted to, then we still need an HDMI cable because they don't come with one. I think "okay, no big deal." Afterall, it's pretty common to withhold accessories like that, and how much can a cable cost, right? I'm thinking it would be no more than $20 for something like that. It turns out the cheapies with low-end transfer are $29.99, and anything decent is $60 or more. WTF! $60 for a 4-ft. cable? I know that's how they make their money but damn!

Anyway, needless to say, we walked out spending a bit more than intended

Then we get home and make arrangements to call DirectTV and upgrade to the HD receiver. Again, more money than we were expecting to pay AND they required us to commit to another 24 months. Our current 24-month commitment is up in October, so the wife and I said "f**k it," we're going to keep the standard definition for now, let the contact expire, and switch over to Dish Network and get one of those intro offers for much cheaper. If we're going to commit to 24 months, we might as well put what little free-market we have left to the test and let the competition give me something less expensive.

I'm just venting my frustration at these companies who let you think you're getting what you want for this amount, but it's just an illusion. You really need to fork out another few hundred dollars for the stuff that does what you were after in the first place. I'll get over it and overall I'm pleased with the quality we went with, I'm just bemoaning the expense. I hope the HD is worth it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 10:24:22 AM »

Yep, totally agree.  With bills up the yin yang and kids to boot I can't justify upgrading to what I find only a slightly better picture on television.  A lot people I know are boycotting TV and I can see.  The programming sucks and the technology is way too expensive. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »

I know the feeling, Flick.  For the past few years my family has been "just around the corner" from buying a flatscreen HD TV.  (Our TV now is a tube TV from the early 90s), but we just haven't been able to come up with the money to afford it.  We did splurge for a PS3 and Netflix this past Christmas, but we were able to get a deal on it.  Somehow I doubt we'll be getting an HD TV until I'm at least out of college.

This stuff is just way too expensive.  Another piece of technology that just runs you through the roof is a cell phone.  I don't own one, although I'd like one, because I just can't afford it.  My parents haven't had a cell phone since 2007 when the bills just got too high.  Plus we live rurally, so we have to commute into town, and the only company with coverage in our area costs waaay too much.

As much as I love technology, it just gets too damn expensive. Bluesad
claws
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:40:16 AM »

I was told by many people that a cheap HDMI cable is as good as an expensive one. Of course they told me after I bought one for $70.
Good price on your LCD though. I'd say the cut off line in size is 37", anything smaller is not really worth the HD effort. The 40" to 46" range should provide an excellent viewing experience. Tip: Calibrate your LCD "professionally" when possible. The factory setting is usually amazing but with the right calibration your jaw will hit the floor.
My Sony Blu-ray player was actually $350 but that was two years ago, so in that regard you still made out like a bandit  Wink

I'm aware your thread is about expensive things, but I always get excited when somebody does the HD switch. Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:25:20 PM by claws » Logged
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:14:03 AM »

"Whatever the market will bear..."

In the end, you, and a whole bunch of other people, agreed to pay it.  At the end of the day, that is the ONLY reason it is so expensive.

Businesses often spend a  good deal of effort to determine an accurate demand function.  This is a mathematical formula that shows how many products are purchases as a function of price.  Couple this with a profit function and it's very easy math to compute the price that will maximize profit (which is NOT simply the highest price for something).

Personally, I don't understand spending so much for a TV "system."  But that's okay; I'm sure I spend money on things that would make everyone else here scratch their heads.   TeddyR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 11:21:55 AM »

"Whatever the market will bear..."

In the end, you, and a whole bunch of other people, agreed to pay it.  At the end of the day, that is the ONLY reason it is so expensive.

Businesses often spend a  good deal of effort to determine an accurate demand function.  This is a mathematical formula that shows how many products are purchases as a function of price.  Couple this with a profit function and it's very easy math to compute the price that will maximize profit (which is NOT simply the highest price for something).

Personally, I don't understand spending so much for a TV "system."  But that's okay; I'm sure I spend money on things that would make everyone else here scratch their heads.   TeddyR

I agree with everything you just said. I'm just griping.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »

I'm just griping.

Well, put it in the Grind My Gears thread, then, so my small mind can keep it straight.   TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »

Interesting this topic came up today.

In a similar vein, today I went into a good ol' brick and mortar book store for the first time in probably a couple of years. There were times in the past when I would have left with a couple of books and a few magazines.

I browsed through some new titles I was interested in (Hey! A new collection of unpublished Vonnegut stories! Cool!) and they were all in the thirty to forty dollar range. The mags, including the reboot of Famous Monsters of Filmland (which looks terrible by the way, RC Bluesad) were all in the ten dollar range!

I didn't buy a thing - not even a mocha java latte espresso lite with sprinkles- and honestly felt a bit guilty about it.

But it's back to buying used books online for me.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 01:35:01 PM »

I browsed through some new titles I was interested in (Hey! A new collection of unpublished Vonnegut stories! Cool!) and they were all in the thirty to forty dollar range. The mags, including the reboot of Famous Monsters of Filmland (which looks terrible by the way, RC Bluesad) were all in the ten dollar range!

The public library, my friend. I very rarely purchase books or movies because the library has almost everything I need available free and legally. The only time I actually spend money is when I actually want to reward the creator with money.

As to TV's, remember when HD first came out and they were selling TV's that were "HD-ready?" What that meant was the TV would not process an HD signal without a separate adapter. Woohoo! Non-functioning HDTV's for only thrice the price of a regular TV!

As for cables, that is as pure a scam as your likely to find anywhere. This Monster cable listed at $200 will give you exactly the same signal as this cable, which costs $8. If you search around, you can find an article written by somebody who successfully swapped the wires with a coat hanger for no noticeable difference.

That being said, I dropped about $1500 two years ago on a Samsung 61" DLP. Nobody liked the technology (rear-projection LCD), so they don't make it anymore, but it looks great. It was more money than I would have liked to spend, but there's not a day that goes by that I regret buying it. It can even play 3-D movies, but, of course, it requires an extra adapter.

With tech stuff, it really pays to do your research before walking into a store. With the above TV, I spent about six months looking for the largest, cheapest, best-looking picture I could find. Then I waited for a good sale. It also helps you ferret out garbage like Monster cables.

Now I just need a good sale on an HDMI-capable receiver...

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Raffine

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 04:53:53 PM »

The public library, my friend. I very rarely purchase books or movies because the library has almost everything I need available free and legally. The only time I actually spend money is when I actually want to reward the creator with money.

I'm with you on the library. But like you said, there are some books, movies, etc I want to own, either because I want to reward the creator or I just have to have 'em.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 06:00:32 PM »

The mags, including the reboot of Famous Monsters of Filmland (which looks terrible by the way, RC Bluesad)

I know-for all it's glossy pages and nice covers-it aint the same. I bought #251 (Lugos/Gogos cover) and #253 (Island of Lost Souls cover)...and beyond one or 2 interesting articales on classic horror-the rest was BLAH. Nice covers,though.

sigh...the day of 60 cent monster mags and 15 cent comic books are loooong gone.  Bluesad

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:07:31 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
venomx
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 07:09:12 PM »

Gas is over $4.25 gal in N.J. WTH!

I'm REALLY glad I dont smoke anymore, I bet cigs will be close to $8.00 by next year, bet?

Also... I don't agree with video games almost $70.00 per game, that's really F$#%%$ up.

Food shopping runs (for 2) almost $175.00 every other week... WTH.

---

Those old Famous Monsters mags look really awesome btw.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 07:35:17 PM »

With video games now, I wait until they've been out a while and buy them in the 20 bucks range. I refuse to spend 60+ bucks for a game now...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Raffine

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »

The mags, including the reboot of Famous Monsters of Filmland (which looks terrible by the way, RC Bluesad)

I know-for all it's glossy pages and nice covers-it aint the same. I bought #251 (Lugos/Gogos cover) and #253 (Island of Lost Souls cover)...and beyond one or 2 interesting articales on classic horror-the rest was BLAH. Nice covers,though.

sigh...the day of 60 cent monster mags and 15 cent comic books are loooong gone.  Bluesad

I loved the look and the feel of the old mags. The new one reminds me of People or  Tiger Beat.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »

Gas is over $4.25 gal in N.J. WTH!

I'm REALLY glad I dont smoke anymore, I bet cigs will be close to $8.00 by next year, bet?

Also... I don't agree with video games almost $70.00 per game, that's really F$#%%$ up.

Food shopping runs (for 2) almost $175.00 every other week... WTH.

---

Those old Famous Monsters mags look really awesome btw.

I KNOW! I quit smoking over 4 years ago and the last time I noticed the price of a pack I had that little extra surge of feeling good about quitting.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  It gets so damned expensive « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.