Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:00:06 AM
713342 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Wacky 70's « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: The Wacky 70's  (Read 53875 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2011, 11:38:29 PM »

Big screen tales of dystopian societies, technology run amok, and futures that were bleak but really cool to watch. This is another trend that started around the end of the 60s, with movies like Planet of the Apes, but really became a 70s phenomenon.

In general, science fiction movies of the 70s got a little grittier. And the wondrous, shiny future of earlier movies gave way to the "lived-in future," particularly in Star Wars and Alien. Filmmakers started to realize that even stuff that seems shiny and new to us is going to eventually get old and broken down. In general, the future, even when viewed with optimism, started to look a little less idealized and more based on the society of the day, extrapolated and often exaggerated. Really, movies just caught up with science fiction literature, and seemed to turn more to literature for source material.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »

Somebody else had the MONSTER MAKER?  I had something much like that as a kid, and I have tried and tried to tell people about it, and no one else remembers.  I vaguely remember a rubbery cube that you put into a special incubation chamber, and it slowly popped up and changed into a little toy dinosaur!  Seems like you could make them turn back to a cube, but I don't remember how.

I had that, too!  It came with a little vise contraption that you could put the dinosaurs in and squeeze them back into cubes.  I also had a huge mountain/valley set that you could put the dinosaurs and cavemen in.  My sister and I used to put cookies in the incubation chamber ("oven") and heat them up.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2011, 10:55:04 AM »

Somebody else had the MONSTER MAKER?  I had something much like that as a kid, and I have tried and tried to tell people about it, and no one else remembers.  I vaguely remember a rubbery cube that you put into a special incubation chamber, and it slowly popped up and changed into a little toy dinosaur!  Seems like you could make them turn back to a cube, but I don't remember how.

I had that, too!  It came with a little vise contraption that you could put the dinosaurs in and squeeze them back into cubes.  I also had a huge mountain/valley set that you could put the dinosaurs and cavemen in.  My sister and I used to put cookies in the incubation chamber ("oven") and heat them up.

I had that too! And the Creepy Crawler set-but that was about 1968. I was 6-my parents gave me an electric heating toy.  BounceGiggle

GI Joes were my favorite toy-GI joe was my buddy! I could throw him outta trees-roll him down the hill in back of the barn in his Jeep-where he would crash into the old barb wire fence,throw dirt bombs at him (dirt bombs were clumps of compacted dirt that-on impact-looked like they were blowing up-or something-hey-I was a kid! We didnt have video games!),make him swim in the creek on my fishing pole! Ah-good times!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2011, 04:18:46 AM »

More games:
Milton Bradley's Microvision!

Parker Brothers' Merlin!  6 games in one!

Electronic Battleship!

He he he!  BABY ALIVE!

In Oregon we had a local kids show called "Bumpity", hosted by a green cookie monster-type puppet where a human guest would read stories.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2011, 09:16:48 AM »

WOW! I didn't expect so much contribution when I started this thread. I just wanted to make some observations about what a peculiar decade the 70's was. Nice to know there are so many that not only know the 70's, but know it well.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »

CLACKERS!

One of the best deadly toys of the 70's. They may look harmless but it was possible to crack your wrist and forearm hard enough with these the bring tears to your eyes. When you bored of making the things go 'CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK' you could go for the exciting up and down double clack 'CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK'. Then you could use 'em as bolas and aim for your friends' legs.

There were several pair of Clackers wrapped around the branches of the big oak tree in our front yard, just waiting for the string to rot and bean an unwary child.

In the bedroom I shared with my brother there is still a deep dent in the wall where he launched a pair at my head. I still remember they were purple, like the ones in the photo.

There were stories of kids getting broken bones and even getting killed by the bright shiny balls so they were ultimately banned.

A safe version came out in the 90s. You could never crack your ulna with these wimpy embarrassments.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:49:46 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »

CLACKERS!

One of the best deadly toys of the 70's. There were stories of kids getting broken bones and even getting killed by the bright shiny balls so they were ultimately banned.

I had a set of these.  I remember hearing stories that chips would come flying off and go into peoples' eyes.  Before long, you couldn't buy them anymore.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
retrorussell

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »

More candies:

Charms Blow Pops!

Freshen-Up gum! 

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Raffine

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2011, 09:00:59 PM »

At our school 'Freshen Up' gum was dubbed 'Cum Gum'.  TeddyR

Another great potentially dangerous toys: WIZZERS!

These were brighty colored gyro tops that you'd rev up and let 'em spin. If you revved 'em up on your mom's hardwood floors you'd leave a mark on the floor - and your mom would leave a mark on your head.

The danger from these little devils was a bit more subtle than the Clackers or the infamous Yard Darts. After you got tired of watching the things balance on their little orange plastic pylons, a fun alternative use was to rev one up and place it the hair of an unsuspecting buddy (or sister) - the longer the hair the better. The Wizzer would immediately twist up the hair and clonk the victim on the noggin. The only way to get the thing out of your hair was to cut it out.  Thumbup

I can still hear the "Zunnnn zinnnnnnn ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" sound the things made when you revved them across the floor. I actually still have one packed away somewhere...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:07:36 PM by Raffine » Logged

retrorussell

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2011, 09:50:59 PM »

More junk food:

This came out just as the '70s were ending, and they remain one of my all-time faves:

And these are still great:

Raffine

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »

Seven Up candy bars!

This candy bar had nothing to do with the soft drink, but it had seven parts each with a different filling. The seven fillings were: Orange Jelly, Maple, Caramel, Brazil Nut, Fudge, Coconut, and Cherry, according to the Candy Addict site.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2011, 06:14:33 AM »

At our school 'Freshen Up' gum was dubbed 'Cum Gum'.  TeddyR

Another great potentially dangerous toys: WIZZERS!

These were brighty colored gyro tops that you'd rev up and let 'em spin. If you revved 'em up on your mom's hardwood floors you'd leave a mark on the floor - and your mom would leave a mark on your head.

The danger from these little devils was a bit more subtle than the Clackers or the infamous Yard Darts. After you got tired of watching the things balance on their little orange plastic pylons, a fun alternative use was to rev one up and place it the hair of an unsuspecting buddy (or sister) - the longer the hair the better. The Wizzer would immediately twist up the hair and clonk the victim on the noggin. The only way to get the thing out of your hair was to cut it out.  Thumbup

I can still hear the "Zunnnn zinnnnnnn ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" sound the things made when you revved them across the floor. I actually still have one packed away somewhere...

Yeah-those were all the rage at the playground!

I had some of these too-SSP Smash Up Derby cars!

Small | Large

Remember digging into the ceral box to find the chezzy toy?

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2011, 09:15:58 PM »

Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
retrorussell

« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2011, 02:21:34 PM »

Some catchy British/UK nonsense that made its way overseas:
Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2011, 08:25:39 AM »

This gal is British, too:
Small | Large

Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Wacky 70's « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.