Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:58:01 PM
714380 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE STORY OF MANKIND (1957) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE STORY OF MANKIND (1957)  (Read 2060 times)
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 13, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »

TCM is airing Irwin Allen's rarely seen epic THE STORY OF MANKIND (1957) tomorrow morning (Monday 3/13) at 3:15 AM.

It's supposed to be a real hoot! I've been wanting to see it for years.

The all-star cast includes:

Ronald Colman ...  The Spirit of Man
Hedy Lamarr ...  Joan of Arc
Groucho Marx ...  Peter Minuit
Harpo Marx ...  Sir Isaac Newton
Chico Marx ...  Monk
Virginia Mayo ...  Cleopatra
Agnes Moorehead ...  Queen Elizabeth I
Vincent Price ...  Mr. Scratch / The Devil
Peter Lorre ...  Nero
Charles Coburn ...  Hippocrates
Cedric Hardwicke ...  High Judge
Cesar Romero ...  Spanish Envoy
John Carradine ...  Khufu
Dennis Hopper ...  Napoleon Bonaparte
Edward Everett Horton ...  Sir Walter Raleigh
Franklin Pangborn ...  Marquis de Varennes
Henry Daniell ...  Pierre Cauchon - Bishop of Beauvais
Francis X. Bushman ...  Moses
Jim Ameche ...  Alexander Graham Bell

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 05:50:31 AM »

What an oddball cast!
Vincent Price as the Devil? Who would have guessed?  Wink
And all three of the Marx Bros.???? Harpo as Newton???? Wow-was the casting director drunk?  Drink
Lorre and Carradine too!!!!  Thumbup
I can see Dennis Hooper as Napolean,though....
All they need now would be Moe Howard as Hitler!   TeddyR
I really need to see this....

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »

Never heard of this film. Looking it up and looking at the year, clearly much of the cast were at the ebb of their careers. Must have been a bizarre project to work on.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Hammock Rider

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:27:19 PM »

I was just talking about this movie with a friend of mine this morning. We were discussing Hedy Lamar and he mentioned it as the most "B" movie he's ever seen her in. Now I really need to check it out. Seems like ol' Irwin was going for the DeMille vibe.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Raffine

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »

Hre's a review of this I just wrote for another site:

THE STORY OF MANKIND (Irwin Allen, 1957)

Two bored angels discover mankind has developed the 'Super Hydrogen Bomb' 30 years before schedule and is moments away from blowing itself up ("My, my, the housing shortage up here would be terrible!" one quips). Heaven/The Outer Space Council (the movie is unclear exactly who they are) convenes a tribunal to determine if mankind should be allowed to blow itself into smithereens or be given another chance at redemption. Mr. Scratch (Vincent Price) is the prosecutor and The Spirit of Man (Ronald Coleman) appears for the defense. Sir Cedrick Hardwicke is the judge. Price presents vignettes depicting man's inhumanity to man, while Coleman tries to show man's more tender and heroic side.

Irwin Allen's infamous epic is as awful as its reputation suggests. The endless parade of ludicrous guest stars (Harpo Marx as Sir Isaac Newton, Hedy Lamarr as the most shapely St. Joan, Dennis Hopper as Napoleon, the usually marvelous Agnes Moorehead channeling Endora as Queen Elizabeth I, Groucho Marx as Peter Minuit, Edward Everett Sloane as Sir Walter Raleigh, Chico Marx as 'A Monk' (Chico musta had one terrible agent), Virginia Mayo as a giggling Cleopatra, etc. etc. ad nauseum) might be fun, but their bits are so unfunny or nauseatingly melodramatic there's absolutely no enjoyment in them. The stars mostly appear on a series of really bad cheap studio sets which would embarrass The Bowery Boys, which are intercut with endless miles of stock footage from better movies.

In the opening credits all the stars get huge screen-filling credits, which was probably a first for Franklin Pangborn. Poor Don Megowan doesn't get a huge screen-filling credit despite having just starred as the land Gillman in THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US.

Personal favorite bit: Angelo Rossitto chasing a big busty blonde around all during Nero's (Peter Lorre) big scene.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 05:52:40 PM »

Angelo Rossitto too???  Buggedout MUST SEE!  Buggedout

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »

There are some films that are hated, such as "Peeping Tom" and "The Seven Faces of Doctor Lao," when they first are released to theaters, but become cult classics years later. "The Story of Mankind" is not one of them. It's probably hated as much now as, when it was first released to theaters.

But, I liked it, seeing it twice on TV. Part of the reason I like it, is--of course--the cast, and the fact that Vincent has two great moments in the film. One his reaction when faced with the Good Book. The other when he talks about pickling Sir Walter Raleigh's head in beer. LOL!

Here's some trivia on the film.

Based on the best selling novel of the same title by Henrik Van Loon. Which, I unfortunately have not read.

Jim Ameche is of course Dom Ameche's brother. Don Ameche himself playing Alexander Graham Bell in "The Story of Alexander Graham Bell." He was so well known for playing the part that the telephone, for awhile, was called an ameche.

If is unfortunate that Ronald Colman could not end his career on a better note, but this would be his last film before he died.

And the Marx Brothers are not the only Marx to appear in the film. Apparently, Groucho's daughter Melinda, would make her motion picture debut in this film
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 04:06:10 PM »

Jim Ameche is of course Dom Ameche's brother. Don Ameche himself playing Alexander Graham Bell in "The Story of Alexander Graham Bell." He was so well known for playing the part that the telephone, for awhile, was called an ameche.

Jim Ameche's cameo is decidedly weird, even for this movie. When Coleman talks about Bell you see Ameche's back as he goes through the whole "Come here, Watson! I need you!" routine. He then turns and smiles broadly right into the camera, like the audience is supposed to be dumfounded he's making an appearance.

Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 09:27:50 AM »

Yeesh. Its that bad? Even the stuff I'd read before on this thing diden't warn me.
Thanks for the heads uo, guys.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE STORY OF MANKIND (1957) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.