Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:37:45 PM
714221 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Glad I don't live in Michigan « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Glad I don't live in Michigan  (Read 3196 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: March 18, 2011, 01:19:27 PM »

I heard about this a couple of weeks ago,  sounds akin to a King appointing Regents.   This law blatantly takes away voters rights.

http://www.politicalruminations.com/2011/03/michigan-governor-rick-snyder-now-has-the-power-to-suspend-the-rights-of-the-people.html

The good news is a recall is already underway.

http://reality-based-world.org/2011/03/18/preparations-are-being-made-to-recall-michigan-governor-rick-snyder/

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:32:29 PM »

I would take that with a King sized grain of salt.  Leftist bloggers are not the most reliable source of information  . . . of course, right wing bloggers often aren't either.  I'd read the actual text of the law before doing anything like a recall.

Democrats ran Michigan for decades, and the result is a state that is an economic and social wasteland. Democratic politicians voted huge handouts to labor unions, who in turn made huge donations to Democrats, who voted new taxes to pay for more handouts to labor unions, until the state's economy melted down.  Now they are talking about bulldozing entire neighborhoods in Detroit, because no one lives in them but drug dealers and prostitutes.

How bout we give the GOP a year or two to try and fix things before dumping them and turning things back over to the ones who made the mess to begin with?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 02:50:04 PM »

This is the truth and I don't care who is in charge, you don't take peoples rights, like firing the people they voted for to run their town.

I didn't mention the part about hims raising taxes on the elderly and education so he could  cut corporate tax rates by 86%

I really enjoy listening to people on the far side of both parties rant about the same thing with the same platitudes over and over again while never doing anything that changes anything.

I don't care about anything but people's rights being protected.

This is  the truth and if you think one individual should have that much power, you don't need to be living in democracy.    There was one version of the bill  that would let private companies to take over the towns and cities.   

I'm sure that would be more to your taste. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 04:28:59 PM »

I DO live in Michigan-and Cock Sucker Snyder-who is infamous for outsourcing jobs to China-has a bill up to TAX the pensions of senior citizens! Gov. Engler was another Nazi f**k.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 04:34:14 PM »

If the law's unconstitutional the courts will shoot it down.  I tend to listen to both extremes with a very jaded ear.

As far as corporate tax cuts . . . how else you gonna get companies to move to your state and create jobs?  Especially in a state where unions have drastically inflated wages?

If you look at the high-tax, high-regulation, union-friendly states, what you see is unmitigated economic meltdown and businesses and citizens fleeing left and right. Michigan and California are the two best examples.  Look at places like Texas, where the government is more business friendly, taxes are low, and regulations less restrictive, and as a rule, you will see states that have weathered the recession pretty well.  Those policies bring their own set of problems, true enough - but the state has better resources to deal with the problems.

As I'm fond of saying, neither party is right or wrong ALL the time. But I do believe in giving people a real chance to see if their agenda works (within reason) before showing them the exit.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 04:39:50 PM »

This is the truth and I don't care who is in charge, you don't take peoples rights, like firing the people they voted for to run their town.

I didn't mention the part about hims raising taxes on the elderly and education so he could  cut corporate tax rates by 86%

I really enjoy listening to people on the far side of both parties rant about the same thing with the same platitudes over and over again while never doing anything that changes anything.

I don't care about anything but people's rights being protected.

This is  the truth and if you think one individual should have that much power, you don't need to be living in democracy.    There was one version of the bill  that would let private companies to take over the towns and cities.   

I'm sure that would be more to your taste. 

Agreed that noone on either side of the aisle should have that much power, or the power to declare emergency and appoint whoever to do whatever that person (or his superiors) would like.   

The only other recent example of this sort of blatant power was when FEMA was allowed to unlawfully confiscate legally owned firearms from Katrina victims during state of emergency.  Funny though,  some of the cops looted along with the rioters, and the gangs were shooting up the place, and noone said a thing about that...

Before his ouster in 2010, NJ Governor Jon Corzine was inching dangerously close to the same type of power. Hell, he shut the state down for almost 2 weeks until he got his paltry 1% tax hike, I can only imagine what he would have done with a bigger issue..

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 04:48:55 PM »

The poor in Michigan are FED UP! We were fed up with Granholm too. Snyder is just making a bad situation worse. "The Tough Nerd"-he shames the name 'nerd'. He's a corporate big wig out to milk us like he did Gateway.

State Minorty Leader Gretchn Whitman-"Gov.Snyder's idea of shared sacrifice seems to mean that working families will do most of the sacrificing while companies continue to reap the rewards.He is balancing this budget on the backs of our children,working families,and our senior citizens. Contary to his rhetoric about "moving all of Michigan forward" this budget picks out who he's willing to leave behind."

Damn straight. I hope he does get yanked-I'm SICK of fat cat politictians renegging on campaign promises-just to act like little dictators once the get in the mansion-this is a democracy-we put him in-we can take him out.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:52:27 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 07:26:48 PM »

Well, RC, you are there and I am not, so I will defer to your wisdom! TeddyR

Jim H

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 12:34:03 PM »

A huge part of the problems in Michigan stem from how poorly run the American auto industry has been for a long time.  Anyone who truely lays the blame of that on unions (which Indiana isn't entirely doing but many do), is simply ignorant of just how awful the big three have been for decades - in a legal, moral and business sense.  With a partial exception (very partial) of Ford.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Glad I don't live in Michigan « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.