Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:04:00 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Politicians Really Annoy Me! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Politicians Really Annoy Me!  (Read 4884 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »

Personally I lie within the Libertarian Party of the United States.  I have nothing against anyone who's a Democrat or Republican, but I can't see myself siding with them on many issues.  Not saying that all Libertarians are perfect or that the others are all wrong, it's just not where I lie on a personal level.  The fact more people aren't with the party is baffling though.  But I'm new to this area so I can't debate all that well right now.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 10:11:25 AM »

"No one has the right to impose their beliefs on another person."?

Doesn't that pretty much do away with all law, then?  What is law but the collective belief of a majority of society that certain acts are wrong - wrong enough that they should be declared illegal?

I'm not sure I buy the argument.

There is a strange paradox in the pro-choice/pro-life debate that I don't many people take into account. The problem doesn't really rest with the "where does life begin" issue. The real issue is that the law has NEVER considered human life to begin until birth, and this is true across most countries of or influenced greatly by Western culture. Why? Because the legal system bases it's opinion of where life begins on 200+-year-old science. Humanity simply could not see human life at all before birth, and so human life was simply non-existent. This is understandable. You can't give legal protection to that which you can't see.

The paradox comes in when you look at the traditional definitions of conservative vs liberal, as defined in the U.S., not Australia. I've stated earlier that it amuses me that liberal would have an almost reverse definition to that applied to the word in this country, which is exactly why I NEVER define myself thusly. The paradox is that conservatives are actually the ones trying to change the legal definition of where life begins, which has always been at birth rather than conception, while liberals, whether they know it or not, are actually trying to hold on to that definition.

A further paradox is that liberals (again, as typically identified in the US, not Australia), who would typically claim to favor science over faith, refuse to acknowledge that science actually supports pro-life in that it pretty clearly identifies where life begins, which is actually before the heart starts beating. So, you have liberals trying to defend a position that rests on old legal definitions created by WASPs, and conservatives trying to defend a position that the law does NOT support, but that science does. It's a very confusing debate to me, and paradoxical on it's very foundation.

I'm not taking a position either way in the legal debate here, ladies and gentlemen, just providing a bit of social commentary of my own. Personally I go with the scientific identification of where a human life begins. The legal definition of life begins when a birth certificate is issued, and so until that definition is changes, the unborn have no legal protection.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 11:22:35 AM »

"No one has the right to impose their beliefs on another person."?

Doesn't that pretty much do away with all law, then?  What is law but the collective belief of a majority of society that certain acts are wrong - wrong enough that they should be declared illegal?

I'm not sure I buy the argument.

There is a strange paradox in the pro-choice/pro-life debate that I don't many people take into account. The problem doesn't really rest with the "where does life begin" issue. The real issue is that the law has NEVER considered human life to begin until birth, and this is true across most countries of or influenced greatly by Western culture. Why? Because the legal system bases it's opinion of where life begins on 200+-year-old science. Humanity simply could not see human life at all before birth, and so human life was simply non-existent. This is understandable. You can't give legal protection to that which you can't see.

The paradox comes in when you look at the traditional definitions of conservative vs liberal, as defined in the U.S., not Australia. I've stated earlier that it amuses me that liberal would have an almost reverse definition to that applied to the word in this country, which is exactly why I NEVER define myself thusly. The paradox is that conservatives are actually the ones trying to change the legal definition of where life begins, which has always been at birth rather than conception, while liberals, whether they know it or not, are actually trying to hold on to that definition.

A further paradox is that liberals (again, as typically identified in the US, not Australia), who would typically claim to favor science over faith, refuse to acknowledge that science actually supports pro-life in that it pretty clearly identifies where life begins, which is actually before the heart starts beating. So, you have liberals trying to defend a position that rests on old legal definitions created by WASPs, and conservatives trying to defend a position that the law does NOT support, but that science does. It's a very confusing debate to me, and paradoxical on it's very foundation.

I'm not taking a position either way in the legal debate here, ladies and gentlemen, just providing a bit of social commentary of my own. Personally I go with the scientific identification of where a human life begins. The legal definition of life begins when a birth certificate is issued, and so until that definition is changes, the unborn have no legal protection.

An interesting take on the issue, to be sure.. 

My personal feeling is that IF an abortion is for a valid reason (birth defects\disease, or complications threatening the life of the mother) then the decision has some merit. Naturally, a mother would prefer to live, and I can't fault that.

However, just to wipe the slate clean of "the night before" or to use it to spite someone,  or any other decision based on personal whim, or pressure from another person, seems a bit unjust.  In the end, the only one who gets hurt is the child.

Ultimately, the woman herself must live with the weight of her decision.  And, I would suspect that there are some women who wind up regretting the decision, who spend the rest of their lives wondering "what might have been." So, while some women may seem comfortable about their decision to end a life, we really don't know their true feelings, given that motherhood (and the choice to end a life growing inside of her) is such a strong bond.

Aside from the emotional impact, there must also be some psycholgical impact as well.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 11:38:40 AM »

Small | Large
Hammock Rider

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »

I'll express my opinion through the use of this near classic 1960's cartoon.

Small | Large

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
dean

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 05:41:48 AM »

Flick, just to help your definitions a little, it's the Liberal party here, capital L.  So if you're a liberal scumbag, it is somewhat different than being a Liberal scumbag.   Thumbup

Either way we can agree they're all scumbags!

As to the abortion issue, this is probably not the thread for it. 

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 07:50:52 AM »

We've finally got a federal election declared here, although you'd never know the difference, what with campaign ads running constantly anyway, just in case. In Canada, the two major parties, Conservative and Liberal, regardless of what they say, have become pretty much interchangeable in terms of what they do. Both stick pretty close to the middle ground when you get right down to it, although the party in opposition will always condemn the decisions of the party in power, as though they'd have done it differently.

We have other parties who stick closer to certain ideals, which I admire, but I find they can be too focused on certain issues, not flexible enough in their thinking, and lacking the ability to form a functioning government if they suddenly found themselves in that position.

This time around, I'm hoping for a Conservative majority, mainly because they're doing a reasonably good job, I don't particularly think a change of government is a smart idea right now, and I would like to see a government securely installed for a change. Canada's had nothing but minority governments for most of a decade, and it's kept all of the parties in perpetual campaign mode, in case somebody calls or forces an election. I don't know how much effort the parties waste on maintaining a state of election readiness, or on constantly judging whether an election would be to their advantage, but I imagine it is significant, and it's effort I'd rather our elected officials put into doing their jobs.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 09:33:06 AM »

We've finally got a federal election declared here, although you'd never know the difference, what with campaign ads running constantly anyway, just in case. In Canada, the two major parties, Conservative and Liberal, regardless of what they say, have become pretty much interchangeable in terms of what they do. Both stick pretty close to the middle ground when you get right down to it, although the party in opposition will always condemn the decisions of the party in power, as though they'd have done it differently.

BounceGiggle

That's hilarious. That's how it is here with the Republicans and Democrats. I've been saying it all along, but people think I'm nuts, they're just two sides of the same damn coin.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Politicians Really Annoy Me! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.