Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:59:48 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Paul (2011) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Paul (2011)  (Read 2942 times)
TheDope
Movie Reviewer And Professional Nit-Picking Geek
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Gone but not forgotten... well, KINDA forgotten.

« on: March 27, 2011, 08:20:38 PM »

Now, you seriously cannot get any more b-movie than this - and as a plus, this is a b-movie that speaks to us, brothers and sisters!

Written by and starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost as sci-fi fanboys and a writer/artist team who attend their first Comic-Con and then take the time to travel through the Western US to visit Area 51 Roswell, all the geek meccas.  However, on their travel on a long stretch of back desert highway, they come across an honest-to-goodness space alien named Paul (voiced by Seth Rogen) who is a fugitive from the prerequisite men in black and on his way to a rendezvous to get back home.

Anyone who lives, breathes and loves sci-fi/fantasy films will enjoy this film as much as Pegg and Frost appear to have enjoyed writing and starring in it.  The direction by Greg Mottola is interesting and creative, as well as referential (I caught many visual references that I know all of you will also catch), and there are loads of cameos by familiar faces throughout (and one speakerphone-only cameo that is not only appreciated by also moreso by the choice of setting in which the call is taken at the time....).

I won't say any more about Paul (since I'm going to be reviewing it soon), save that if you have ever watched any science fiction and fantasy movies from the last 30 years, you will enjoy this movie.  Lots of laughs, lots of heart, lots of everything.  Catch it in a theater if you can - this is best enjoyed in a large group of self-minded sci-fi geeks.

Like us.

- TGWD

TheDope: bringing the conversation to a grinding halt since 2002.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 01:32:30 PM »

It was a decent movie. It had a couple of really funny scenes. But there wasn't enough of the geek stuff.  I wish they would have spent more time at the Comic Con and nerded it up a little more. Their observations and humor were spot on. I thought Paul himself should have been a little more alien. He seemed like Seth Rogan but with a big purple head. He could have almost been any generic slacker dude. Pegg & Frost are a great team and Kristen Wiig was  good in her part, as usual. I could actually see the three of them making more movies together. They had good chemistry.

I was thinking that maybe they wanted to make a movie that would attract the genre fans but also not alienate the general movie watching audience.  It's definitely a funny film, but it's not up the the level of Shaun and Fuzz.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »

I thought Paul himself should have been a little more alien. He seemed like Seth Rogan but with a big purple head.

You know, I actually got that just from the trailer. I liked Seth Rogen a little at first but he's been slowly getting on my nerves little by little, and it made me reluctant to actually see it in the theatres. It does look like it's worth some laughs all the same.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:27:47 AM »

Based on the trailers and TV spots, I have absolutely no desire to see this movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:54:34 PM »

I'm with Burgo on this one.  I'm a huge Pegg/Frost fan, but the trailers make this movie look unfunny.  I've still heard some good stuff about it, though. 
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 04:33:45 AM »

I saw a poster advertising this movie last week.  Not sure when it's on - should be soon but I thought, "awesome, I love those guys!"  But I might wait until it comes out on DVD.  Not sure it's enough of a pull for me to pay the exorbitant cinema prices in this country.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 07:39:02 AM »

Luckily, I was only exposed to half this film and that was more than enough. Really thought the humour was predictable and unfunny. Plus, it's got CGI so I hated it from the first second.

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:57:44 AM »

I enjoyed Paul. It had many fun references. It's not great but it was worth the watch to me. Especially since I've seen "Mac & Me" recently. I needed an actually FUN alien movie.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 08:13:55 AM »

Luckily, I was only exposed to half this film and that was more than enough. Really thought the humour was predictable and unfunny. Plus, it's got CGI so I hated it from the first second.

But Jurassic Park has CGI in and it's beautiful.

Question

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:43:25 AM »

Question

Hehe. If I know Circus like I think I do he'll probably say he hates Jurassic Park too. Circus and I have had this discussion before. We both don't care for CGI, but I am a little more accepting than he.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 10:02:01 AM »

Question

JP'S okay. I mean the technology used in that film to me, looks superior to stuff now. It seems to blend in better, than stick out like a sore thumb.

Also, I don't find Frost & especially Pegg funny at all. I've only ever thougt Simon Pegg was good in the Spaced and Big Train comedy series.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Paul (2011) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.