Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:39 PM
713362 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Military? « previous next »
Poll
Question: So, what branch of the military are/were you in?
Army - 3 (13.6%)
Navy - 2 (9.1%)
Marines - 1 (4.5%)
Airforce - 0 (0%)
coast guard - 0 (0%)
I'm a Civie - 16 (72.7%)
Total Voters: 20

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Military?  (Read 10309 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 02:35:27 PM »

I actually tried to get back into the military when I was in my 30s.  I went to a recruiter and he said I had something like a month to get to boot camp, otherwise I would be too old.  It just wasn't enough time to quit my job, figure out my finances (it would have been a significant pay cut), and drop everything in my life to rush off to boot camp.  Now I'm definitely too old and my understanding is the military doesn't make exceptions.  I would love to get back in somehow and specialize in something technical like radar.  I'm surprised they don't open up more opportunities, even if it's just in the reserves, for us older guys who have something to contribute.  I also looked into becoming a warrant officer but that seems to be a no-go as well.

The military is quite picky these days. It's not like when I joined the Navy, when recruiters would do whatever they could to overlook disqualifying issues and even encourage potential recruits to lie about those items on their paperwork. I admitted to pot use and was honest in that I had smoked pot about a week before going in to the recruiter. He took me to an independent testing facility to do a pee test, I popped positive, and he told me to go home, take lots of niacin, drink lots of water, and exercise as much as I could and come back in a few days. Upon going to the testing facility again, I came up negative, and only then did he take me down to go through the official enlistment process.

Nowadays they're actually trying to find reasons to reject applicants because the economy is so bad and people flocking to recruiters and trying to join.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »

Army brat here. No interest in joining, though; even if I could be bothered to get in good enough physical shape, I seriously doubt I'd ever be mentally fit for that kind of stress. I have plenty of respect for the men and women in uniform, as well as their families. It takes a special kind of person to marry and stick with a man or a woman in uniform, after all.
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 08:44:52 PM »

I am myself a civie though I do have great respect for those in the military.

A follow-up question that I've always wandered about. The M16? It's strange is that everyone I've ever talked with about this rifle has either decided that it is a piece of junk that got mass produced for political/monetary gain or that it was (and in many ways still is) one of the most innovative weapons on the field. I have personally fired both a (semi-automatic) AK47 and the civilian version of the M16(AR15) and noticed that although the AR15 was a little bit harder for a novice to operate (cocking it is not the standard bolt on the right hand side of the stock as expected, though easy to learn if you ignore what you think you know about assault rifles) it was much more accurate and although eventually the AK47 did jam (in fairness to the AK47, we kept removing the clip when we weren't shooting it because we didn't trust the tinker-toy "safety" feature of having a swing-down arm against the cocking mechanism) the AR15 did not.

So how about those who have actually relied on the M16, thoughts?

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 09:55:28 PM »

Before this gets pointed out by someone else
1. we were firing off the last chambered round out of the AK47 after removing the clip
2. I know the M16 has undergone some evolution over the years, so just asking about the M16 used by those in the military when they were in it.

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Military? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.