Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:56:30 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Parents (1989) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Parents (1989)  (Read 3804 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 31, 2011, 11:27:13 PM »

This is, bar none, one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.  The best thing about it is, I honestly can't tell you why it scared me so much.  All the way through it, no matter how non-threatening the images and events on screen might have been, I was scared.  The entire movie is permeated with a sense of unease and dread, even when something as innocent as a backyard barbecue is all that's on screen.  I honestly can't figure out the trick, but director Bob Balaban (more well known as an actor specializing in "annoying little guy" roles) should have been catapulted to horror movie maestro status for his work on this film.  Randy Quaid also deserves a great deal of credit for delivering one of the most frightening performances ever put on screen.  The way he looks is scary, the way he talks is scary, the way he cooks eggs is scary, even the way he plays cards is scary!

The movie centers around a little boy who has quite the fear of meat.  He can't even stand to look at the stuff.  Unfortunately for him, his parents are hard-core meat eaters.  They put meat into literally everything.  The boy's fear of meat causes him to skip a lot of meals.  He also can't sleep because he has nightmares about meat and blood.  Eventually, the boy gets it into his head that his parents are cannibals.  Are they, or are his malnutrition and chronic sleep deprivation making him crazy?

I've said plenty of times that I can't stand movies that are all in a character's mind.  There are exceptions.  It can work if the movie makes it explicit from the very beginning that nothing that happens is "real".  Another way it can work is if the movie makes it highly ambiguous.  Parents actually toes a fine line between those two approaches.  Right from the start, you know there's something not quite right about the boy, so anyone well-versed in horror movies will be expecting the "all in his mind" card to be played.  However, there really is ample evidence that Dad is bringing home cadavers from work and Mom is butchering them in the basement.  You could make a strong case for either interpretation of the movie being correct.

Parents isn't perfect.  The boy's best friend is built up to be very important, then drops out of sight with her storyline unresolved.  The father's place of work is named "Toxico", which is an out-of-place bit of self-aware satire in a movie that is otherwise so deadly serious you feel like you've been punched in the gut when it's over.  However, these are fairly minor faults in the face of overall excellence.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:48:08 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:41:03 AM »

I remember this one!

It creeped me out too.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »

I like your review!

Not a perfect movie, but it's damn good in my opinion, as well as creepy and quirky and unusual. I've brought up the film a couple of times since I've been a member, and it seems largely unrecognized, which surprises me all the more having been here a while and gotten to know the general tastes of the board. I definitely recommend it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 02:19:53 AM »

It's funny, because this movie was number one on my "worst movies I have ever seen" when I was a kid. I remember seeing the posters in video stores, and when I actually watched the movie I was fairly scarred.

Years later I actually stole the VHS copy from a video store I was working at. This prompted a coworker to note that I am the only person he knows who would actually steal a movie because he hated it.

I still have that copy. I should sit down and watch it.

Bob Balaban directed this? Definitely deserves a second look.

If you are interested, the "worst movie I have ever seen" has been supplaced by "Slapstick (Of Another Kind)." Truly nightmarish stuff.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:35:01 AM »

I didn't find it scary, but almost funny in a toungue-in-cheek kind of way.

It was like watching an extened episode of 'Tales from the Crypt'.
I'd recommend ths film too but it sin't availiable in region 2 yet.

Hmmm....
I think I might watch it later.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
voltron

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »

I loved this one when it first came out. Would like to see it again!  Thumbup

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:54:42 PM »

big fan of this film  Thumbup I haven't seen it for years, but I remember it really well.

the recreation of the 'innocent' 1950s offset by a seedy, dark underbelly is really well done. there are some memorable scenes - some frightening , some funny, and even some that are funny and frightening at the same time.

the guy who played the kid never did any other films. I think he's an artist now...good performance though. I will have to hunt this down and watch it again

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 04:07:04 PM »

Great soundtrack as well.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Parents (1989) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.