Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:41:19 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Attitudes about Drinking « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Attitudes about Drinking  (Read 24277 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2011, 08:42:27 PM »

Just thought this was kind of interesting and funny...

Small | Large

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2011, 09:24:53 PM »

Just thought this was kind of interesting and funny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZPzA-aBHgo

It is funny.  I am a big fan of his as well as his various musical outputs and whatnot.

Just kinda disagree with the straight edgers alot.  Not necessarily cause I drink and they don't.  Just a lot of em seem to be especially pushy and uncompromising and expect others to do what they do.  I don't force alcohol on em, don't force me to NOT drink if I don't want.  It's not ALL of them, but a good amount. Wink

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »

I've never publicly in person pushed straight edge on anyone else nor would I. I do believe everyone has the right to choose what they want and I appreciate it a lot when people don't try and push me into doing something I don't want to do...

Now I hope people who do commit alcohol abuse at least are aware of the potential negative health consequences and I hope they do eventually learn to value their health so as not to abuse their bodies but at the same time, I'm not going to preach at them. I have known people who also drank very responsibly, would never drink and drive and that's to be commended too. If you are going to drink, I think responsibility should be encouraged. I personally choose not to drink but like I said, I've been to many dances, parties etc. where people did. I never stopped them or told they what to do nor do I plan to start. I'm very happy many bars nowadays have non-alcoholic alternatives so I can buy something from there if I choose to...I'm not an hardline militant straight edge person. I don't think it's right to expect everyone to behave exactly the same in the world.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »

It's commendable you adhere to your beliefs Jase. I want to make clear I wasn't talking about you specifically in my last post. Mainly the other guys within that hard-nosed straight edge group I've encountered that've tried to 'save me', so to speak.

I should mention, while I do like to imbibe from time to time, I've not been drunk in almost two months, the longest I have gone in ten years.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »

Yeah I know there are a lot of more militant types out there who want to insist on making everyone follow their own set of rules...personally I think it flies in the face of what straight edge was initially all about. The early bands were very anti-racism, anti-fascism, anti-hate..and punk as a whole is anti-authority IMO. Now granted a lot of edgers also believe very strongly in trying to help improve the community as a whole and no doubt some think they are helping you by trying to as you put it "save" you. Personally I think it's an individual choice that cannot be forced upon someone else. If one chooses to embrace the lifestyle, it really should be their choice. Otherwise, these edgers are resulting to the same peer pressure tactics that often those who push drugs use. I know Ian Mackaye who first used the term straight edge in a song distances himself from it due to these hate monger types who run around fighting with and beating up people who drink, smoke, etc.. It's stuff like this that makes me want to distance myself from the label at times too. So if I drop the label, it'll probably be because it's become too associated with these  negative elements. I believe very strong though in the positive straight edge movement that doesn't try to push their beliefs on others but does act as a good example of how to live and treat others.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2011, 10:41:26 PM »

Yeah I know there are a lot of more militant types out there who want to insist on making everyone follow their own set of rules...personally I think it flies in the face of what straight edge was initially all about. The early bands were very anti-racism, anti-fascism, anti-hate..and punk as a whole is anti-authority IMO. Now granted a lot of edgers also believe very strongly in trying to help improve the community as a whole and no doubt some think they are helping you by trying to as you put it "save" you. Personally I think it's an individual choice that cannot be forced upon someone else. If one chooses to embrace the lifestyle, it really should be their choice. Otherwise, these edgers are resulting to the same peer pressure tactics that often those who push drugs use. I know Ian Mackaye who first used the term straight edge in a song distances himself from it due to these hate monger types who run around fighting with and beating up people who drink, smoke, etc.. It's stuff like this that makes me want to distance myself from the label at times too. So if I drop the label, it'll probably be because it's become too associated with these  negative elements. I believe very strong though in the positive straight edge movement that doesn't try to push their beliefs on others but does act as a good example of how to live and treat others.
I don't know man.  I respect it in today's society that they'll not give in to the no alcohol/drug scene.  I like that they try to be positive and almost 70% of the ones I've encountered were mostly positive.  It's the minority group that enforces their beliefs on me when we meet that gives the rest a bad name.  They're like, "You're all the same...poisoning yourself and society, and bringing it around me is something you shouldn't do."  I just looked at em like, "I'm not asking you to partake, I'm doing me."  And it led to fights and such... Lookingup

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2011, 12:51:11 AM »

"What keeps mankind alive?"

I am what people refer to as a high-functioning alcoholic. I drink a lot; I enjoy alcohol. I don't drink because I have some sort of central defect of character. I don't drink to fill some sort of hole in my life. I drink because I enjoy being drunk. That's all there is to it.

I do not drink when I have something to do. And I keep myself ridiculously busy. I am addicted to accomplishing things. Getting drunk is a momentary reprieve.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
claws
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2011, 01:32:11 AM »

I don't drink because I don't like the taste of alcohol. I got drunk once or twice many years ago, and ended up over the toilet seat puking my guts out.
Here in rural Germany parents let their little children drink from their beers at fests, and kids not older than 12, 13 are hospitalized because of alcohol poisoning.
Has nothing to do with low income, unemployment or being depressed. Germany is and always has been a happy beer drinking nation.
dean

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2011, 02:13:11 AM »

I enjoy the drink, but it is a large part of our culture here in some respects.  There's nothing better than sitting outside on a beautiful day/night with those you love and sharing in a good conversation over a few glasses of something or rather.

I've probably been abusing my body too much in the last 12 months for no good reason: drinking more and exercising less.  That being said I have very rarely got to the point where I'm a stumbling idiot so I guess I'm like Mofo in that respect : some people become an absolute mess, but I'll just keep chugging along with only a mild haziness to the world.  I rarely drink to get drunk, but I have noticed that in the last 12 months at least I have indulged in a beer or some other alcohol at least 6 times a week.  Sometimes quite a few, sometimes only one or two drinks with dinner/winding down after work.  Nothing to become a teetotaller but probably enough if you add it all up over a week.

Though now that I've passed my mid twenties this behaviour should probably be dialed back a bit for my older self's sake.  The lack of exercise has me more worried though.

As far as attitudes go, I don't have a problem with alcohol myself, or for anyone else as long as you're not the type who gets violent or makes stupid decisions like driving.  People like that have no great sense of responsibiliy that largely is there regardless of the alcohol, but we all know people who 'change' when on the drink, so it's not for everyone, just like how certain drugs [legal or non-legal] can effect people in different ways I suppose.  If only we could get the scientists onto a device that tells you what effects you and how, to help people make a more informed choice about their 'poison'.  Get with it science!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2011, 03:10:08 AM »

I pretty much drank my 20s away because I had a lot of good friends and great times, and also to numb the fact that I pretty much wasted five years of my life by going to college to receive a degree I wasn't going to use and was, at the time, working a horrible menial labor job.  I hated my life from about 2004-2007. 

I used to get real crazy drunk, but I was never violent.  No, always lovey-dovey.  I did, however, act off the wall and weird, sometimes downright childish and clumsy.  During one of my last benders, I was so out of control clumsy that they cut me off well before the night was over, yet I continued to somehow get my hands on a beer.  They eventually had to slip a roofie in my last drink.  Good thing I didn't die.  After that night and dealing with the hangover, I toned my drinking down.

A LOT.  I only had two other binges since the aforementioned incident, one was a New Year's Eve party and the other was my bachelor party.  The latter left me wishing I were dead and I haven't gotten slaughtered drunk since, and hopefully never will. 

I drink maybe once every three or four months and am usually done after my second beer.  After having thrown up so many times I can't even stomach the stuff beyond the second drink.  My gagging gets going and I'm through. 

I also became a bit worried for my health (also the reason I quit smoking about four years ago).  I didn't want to ram my liver into the ground anymore, or slowly pickle my brain.  I'm a bit saddened that all the best memories of my twenties, apart from meeting my wife, had to do with damn near drinking myself to death.  At the same time, they're very fun and fond memories, but only because I had great friends to damn near die with.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2011, 09:32:59 AM »

Now I've never told others what to do and I don't plan on starting now but I think people should well be aware of the consequences of their actions and I don't feel it right that society puts pressure on others to conform and fit into what they want - that I'll rebel against all my life. I don't let my choice stop me from going out and of course others have been drinking around me and I've never said anything to them or tried to make them stop. I simply drank my water and remained sober. I don't believe in violence of starting any confrontations. Honestly it's rare nowadays anyone bothers me now that it's known I don't drink. That said, I honestly prefer the atmosphere of a non-drinking all ages environment...

And yeah I meant what I was on a personal level...if a gun was put to my head, I think I'd take the bullet first.

I'm sorry to hear that in your world there is such a pressure upon you to drink. I've experienced peer pressure, sure. Who hasn't? But in my experience I've just never seen the level of pressure that you appear to have. You paint a picture of a world trying to hold you down and pour booze down your gullet while you heroically abstain. I don't know your age or what circles you run in, but at this point in my adult life I just never see the kind of pressure you're talking about. Maybe when I was in my early twenties, but honestly in my world there are drinkers and non-drinkers and we all seem to get along famously.   

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 03:54:50 PM »

No,  I don't get pressured the same nowadays as I did when I was younger but the Newfoundland culture is very much a drinking one...so much so they even have "screeching" in ceremonies to create honorary Newfoundlanders when tourists visit. Although in more recent years, some have started using Purity syrup as an alcohol alternative for screeching in (especially as it concerns recovering alcoholics). Usually the only folks who do not drink around here are religious folks so as I'm not religious, I'm very much the odd duck around here. Most people here just assume you drink and those who do not know me are usually surprised to learn I don't touch it at all...although many will commend you for your stance, I often get the sense they don't really get it.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2011, 04:17:58 PM »

No,  I don't get pressured the same nowadays as I did when I was younger but the Newfoundland culture is very much a drinking one...so much so they even have "screeching" in ceremonies to create honorary Newfoundlanders when tourists visit. Although in more recent years, some have started using Purity syrup as an alcohol alternative for screeching in (especially as it concerns recovering alcoholics). Usually the only folks who do not drink around here are religious folks so as I'm not religious, I'm very much the odd duck around here. Most people here just assume you drink and those who do not know me are usually surprised to learn I don't touch it at all...although many will commend you for your stance, I often get the sense they don't really get it.

I have no idea what screeching is.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »

I have no idea what screeching is.

Nevermind, I just looked it up. That's ridiculous. No wonder you find drinkers annoying. I come from a world of wine and microbrews and fine whiskey and Scotch. A different world, to be sure, because the focus is people who care more about the art of something that has been around for thousands of years.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2011, 04:34:21 PM »

... I come from a world of wine and microbrews and fine whiskey and Scotch. A different world, to be sure, because the focus is people who care more about the art of something that has been around for thousands of years.
Question I don't care, just gimme a drink.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Attitudes about Drinking « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.