Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:30:04 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Tales of Survival « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tales of Survival  (Read 1485 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: April 05, 2011, 02:58:49 AM »

I just recently watched 127 Hours, which I thought was a great movie.

I really enjoy movies that explore the limits of human endurance, so I thought I'd share a couple I like and I recommend you do the same.

The first is a movie called Touching the Void. It's a pseudo-documentary, with all of the main people involved being interviewed on camera while actors re-enact the events. Basically, the story is that two climbers attempt a highly dangerous mountain climb. On the way back down a storm hits. As events turn out, there is a point where one of the climbers ends up hanging by a rope over a ledge. With zero visibility and no communication, the climber holding him up has to make the agonizing choice to cut the rope supporting his friend. Here's where the movie gets interesting, the guy hanging in space falls and ends up breaking his leg, but doesn't die. The rest of the movie is his brutal journey down the mountain with a broken leg.

It's horrifying stuff. There's never a question that he survives, the guy it happened to is there on screen talking about it. Fascinating, and very well done.

Small | Large

The second is a documentary called The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition. It tells the story of Ernest Shackleton's exploration to try and cross Antarctica during the early 20th century's exploration boom. The venture fails very early on when the ship gets stuck in the ice. For the next several months, Shackleton manages to keep his crew alive and non-mutiny prone. Eventually the fact that there is no out raises it's ugly head, and they all have to cross the ice to stay alive. I don't want to spoil the story for you if you're not familiar with it, but the lengths they all have to do to make it back to civilization is an amazing story. Inspiring really.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
claws
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:13:41 AM »

The Canyon (2009)

Small | Large

Some people say its better than 127 Hours but I have yet to see 127 Hours. I did enjoy The Canyon quite a bit though.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 06:21:20 AM »

I just recently watched 127 Hours, which I thought was a great movie.

I really enjoy movies that explore the limits of human endurance, so I thought I'd share a couple I like and I recommend you do the same.

The second is a documentary called The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition. It tells the story of Ernest Shackleton's exploration to try and cross Antarctica during the early 20th century's exploration boom. The venture fails very early on when the ship gets stuck in the ice. For the next several months, Shackleton manages to keep his crew alive and non-mutiny prone. Eventually the fact that there is no out raises it's ugly head, and they all have to cross the ice to stay alive. I don't want to spoil the story for you if you're not familiar with it, but the lengths they all have to do to make it back to civilization is an amazing story. Inspiring really.

I saw a very similar documentary on the PBS program AMERICAN EXPERIANCE about the Shackleton expedetion-and what they endured is amazing and horrifying. And in the end,inspiring.
Oh-all this week on our local PBS staion they've been showing Ken Burns the CIVIL WAR-which is a great look at the bloodiest war in American history. The causalties at the Battle of Shiloh were higher than that of D-Day during WW 2.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 08:54:50 AM »

The Endurance is an amazing story. I could probably watch it over and over and not get bored by it. It's too unbelievable to be fiction. Good topic RC.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Tales of Survival « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.