Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:16:32 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Inglorious Basterds (2009) Observation « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Inglorious Basterds (2009) Observation  (Read 5075 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 12:19:19 AM »

Cracked.com had a Photoshop contest, "If Movie Posters Told the Truth".  For one of my three entries, I made a poster for this movie.

I mean, the film had some decent bits, but I think that's really about it.

Personally, I perferred the original (granted the films are pretty much nothing alike, but still...)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 10:23:19 AM »

Here's what I had to say last year:
"INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS Pointless poop - a real waste of money, resources, talent, even a few very good ideas... I feel a dumb film review coming on... since when did QUENTIN TARANTINO start blatantly ripping himself off, rewriting history stupidly, and missing opportunity after opportunity to create something genuine?  A HUGE disappointment."   
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,128938.msg320908.html#msg320908 
I also own this DVD and perhaps I need to look at it again.  I was offended by INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS' mix of cheap thrills, dopey dialogue and race murder... though I suppose there's things there to recommend it.  I do like QUENTIN TARANTINO movies, but this one seemed even more contrived than usual.  I didn't take it that TARANTINO was so much breaking rules as indulging himself (y'know, like ROB ZOMBIE). 
Interesting. There's no disguising I liked it. What I'm finding interesting is that QT fans are seeming less likely to appreciate Inglorious Basterds, while it garnered more mainstream appreciation by people that probably aren't big QT fans. It seems that way thus far, anyway. I thought the dopey dialogue came mainly from the character Aldo Raines. Aside from him, I thought much of the rest of the dialogue was quite good.
TARANTINO dialogue is baloney; always has been always will be.  Unrelated, I had a few issues with this movie: "the Bear Jew," the powerfully unsettling opening sequence and then the good ol' boy savagery of beating "Naa-ahzees" (actually German soldiers who were hardly all Nazis) to death with baseball bats. 
Who doesn't love the idea of HITLER being machine gunned in the face?  BounceGiggle  "That's entertainment..."  Yeh it's a fantasy, a stupid fantasy.  But it ain't history.  How...did she get there?  Where...did she get a theatre?  Wha...was the point of that and not running away forever?  Well, there'd not've been this movie.   Lookingup
Forget it. 

I'm not trying to argue the movie with you. I liked it, you didn't. I was just commenting that you claimed to enjoy QT films but didn't like this one, and your reasons are what they are.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 02:10:58 PM »

Personally, I loved the movie.  I think it had a nice balance between humor, suspense, and action.  Granted, it's not a typical war movie (that's one of the things I like about it), so it tends to be a little short on the action, but just about any scene involving Hans Landa sitting down one on one with someone (opening scene in the house, at the restaurant with Emmanuelle/Shoshanna, at the theater with Bridget von Hammersmark) provided more tension and thrills in just sit down conversations than a lot of movies with full blown action sequences.

Plus, you get some nice (dark) humor with the Basterds themselves (I can understand either loving or hating Brad Pitt - I thought he was hilarious) and some great individual scenes (the whole bar sequence, exchanges between Fredrik and Emmanuelle).  

I felt that, while the dialogue did have a similar STYLE in that Tarantino fashion, it avoided my normal complaint about his dialogue, which is all of the pop culture references.  For the first time since Pulp Fiction (which, admittedly was filled with the pop culture references that I just complained about), I was riveted by all of the dialogue in a QT film.

While others may not have enjoyed this aspect, I also loved that he rewrote history.  We've seen the real thing countless times in movies past, so it was nice that the end just went completely off in fantasy land.  I'm not sure that I always need movies that are in a historical context to actually be historically accurate.  I mean, lots of movies that take place during wartime (or other historical events) don't necessarily adhere to history.  This one just went so far off the path, that there was no question that it became fantasy (I gotta wonder if there was at least ONE guy who saw it in theaters and when Hitler was machine gunned, leaned over to his friend and whispered "you know, that's not how it really happened").  I was able to go along with it and enjoy it.  

I do agree with a previous poster that not all German soldiers were Nazis, but, if I'm not mistaken, all of the ones that the Basterds attacked WERE.  Even if they weren't, I think it would be reading too much into it if we call him on that.  I don't think he's making a political statement - the Basterds were just a ragtag group who liked killin' Nahzis.  Again, I felt that they were almost the comic relief in the movie.  Albeit, what they did isn't a typical comedy subject, but again, it's unique and I thought it was great.

As far as how Shoshanna/Emmanuelle got to where she was and why didn't she run - I got the feeling that she had been planning to get revenge all along.  Watching that happen to your family will do that to you.  She didn't necessarily plan to do it in the manner that she did, but she had to obtain work somehow.  Granted, they didn't go into great detail about how she got the theater (what she told Fredrik about inheriting it may or may not have been the truth), but I didn't feel that it really mattered.  She had time between the opening scene and current time to build something like that up.  She wouldn't want to leave though because she came across as someone who had nothing else to lose/live for than to exact revenge and perhaps even bring an end to the war.  She was waiting patiently for her chance...

I've probably gone on long enough and will happily expand upon my thoughts if anyone addresses anything specifically, but I just have to say that I enjoyed this movie very much.  Trust me, I'm no QT fan boy either.  I mean, I really enjoy Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Kill Bill, but Reservoir Dogs hasn't been enjoyable to me since the first time I saw it (I've tried re-watching it, and it just doesn't work for me anymore) and Death Proof is not particulary high on my list (although, it does have a killer final 15 minutes or so).  I did not expect to like Inglorious Basterds as much as I did, but I have to admit that, despite owning the Blu-Ray, I still sit down and watch everytime I'm flipping through the channels and I come across it.  In fact, my wife is so tired of me watching it (although she loves it too), that I, too have been called an Inglorious BASTERD a time or two...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:20:57 PM by JayJayM12 » Logged

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 02:08:39 AM »

I think Tarantino's dialogue is one of his strongest points. I could not disagree more with Allhallowsday on this point. Different strokes and what not.

BTM's post pretty much sums it up for me, except I think it is a strong point rather than a failure.

The entirety of Inglourious Basterds is a series of conversations of people desperately trying to avoid the inevitable failure of communication. It's a cat and mouse that inevitably fails and ends up in a hail of bloodshed. That tension is the point of the movie.

As for the remainder of the ultraviolence, everybody wants to destroy Adolf Hitler's head. Point, tension, release. It surprised me, but I can't complain.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 05:07:15 PM »

I enjoyed this film.  The dialogue was riveting.

One thing though...

Since QT writes all the dialogue, any character could be him.  If you've ever watched an interview with him, he talks pretty much the same way his characters talk.  Meaning, take almost any character from any of his movies and transplant QT's head on their body.  Like Hans Landa...great character, but it might as well have been QT dressed in a Nazi uniform.
Try envisioning that the next time you watch one of his films.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Inglorious Basterds (2009) Observation « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.