Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:12:55 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Target Earth (1954) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Target Earth (1954)  (Read 1780 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: April 09, 2011, 02:22:24 PM »

Small | Large

Okay the robot is pretty ridiculous. No one is denying that. Still, this is a pretty awesome movie with better casting, acting, and drama than many of the big classics of the sci fi, noir, or disaster film genres.

A woman wakes up after attempting suicide to city that appears to be totally empty. She bumps into another guy but after seeing dead bodies around doesn't know if he is the one who killed them, where anyone is, or what the hell is going on. The girl is really cute. Not really a bombshell type but sexy nonetheless and my eyes were pretty much glued to her strapless shoulders (and whatnot) throughout. She eventually bumps into some other people and its kind of like in a disaster movie where you get to know them a bit as they deal with the thing. They are alot less annoying than those people usually are though. Also, a psycho killer is among them!

Very cool movie despite the ridiculous robot. It must have been hard to keep a straigtht face, the scene when the robot slowly makes its way up the stairs... has been written about. I am probably the least resourceful person there is and even I came up with a half a dozen ways to stop the thing: rope, water, oil. I mean, empty city there are supplies everywhere but f**k it: this movie rocks and 75 minute running time to boot.

This VCI edition is not restored but it looks fine if not spectacular, some pops and whatnot. It comes with a very cool 20 minute doc on the producer Herman Cohen. His lifestory is quite impressive: starting as a usher/ helper kid at a movie theatre, he eventually made tons of sick movies and owned the very theatre he started in and many others. He made the first teen horror movie " I was a Teenaged Werewolf" and later did Horrors of the BLack Museum and (I think) the Flesheaters.

4.5/5

cool
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:43:51 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:40:02 PM »

Man, women really used to scream a lot back in the '50s   BounceGiggle

Sounds like a cool movie, I added it to the Netflix queue.  Thanks for the tip!

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:55:54 PM »

This is one I've managed to miss over the years, but I've always been curious to see. Those old photos of that goofy robot are intriguing!

Even the used DVDs are a bit pricey but I'll keep a lookout for it.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:10:15 PM »

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:21:26 PM »

How many times did Richard Denning save the Earth . . . while always wearing that same suit?????

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 02:20:38 PM »

The film reminds me of the Last Man on Earth style films - you know Last Man on Earth, Last Woman on Earth, Omega Man, The World, the Flesh and the Devil...and is surprisingly gripping for most of its running time. There were supposed to be an army of robots but of course there's only ever really one which was kind of disappointing...still, they played it serious and I think it works well and is a fun film for it.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
major jay

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »

I agree with xJaseSFx the shots of empty streets in, I think, LA are very cool, but it could have used more robot action. Still, I like the flim very much.

Flangepart

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 03:08:37 PM »

Well, her breasts could break through an ice pack, I must say.
Oh, how this could make a good rifftrax!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Target Earth (1954) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.