Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:55:13 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Words or phrases you remember from school, but hardly ever use in real life « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Words or phrases you remember from school, but hardly ever use in real life  (Read 4306 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 12, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »

Here are a few:

* Meniscus
* Pectin
* Golgi apparatus
* Workbook
* Milk money
* Recess

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »

Binomial Theorem
Cotton Gin - from what I remember of elementary school history, that was the only thing that was ever invented.
Absolutely everything from English class - pronoun, adverb, participles, vowels, consonants, etc.
Syllabus and of course syllabi
penmanship

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
venomx
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:53:46 PM »

I remember slang...

Rad
Hype
Fresh
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »

Cafeteria
Gymnasium
Pep rally
School spirit
Ditch day

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 05:04:27 PM »

* Golgi apparatus

I totally have to use that one for school now...  Stupid biology. Hatred
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 06:15:51 PM »

.Tie-stick (high school)
.purple micro dot (high school)
."McGovern,McGovern-he's our man-Nixon belongs in the Garbage can!"
.Peerie,boulder,cat's eye,steelie,keepies,funsies (marble playing terms)
.Smear the Queer-(played with a football)
."Liar liar,pants on fire-hanging from a telephone wire!"
."I know you are,but what am I ?!?!" -witty comeback
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:37:26 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 06:19:56 PM »

lavatory
Puedo ir al bano? -only reason I remember this from Spanish is that I had to ask that in high school if had to use the bathroom during class, if I remember right translated it roughly means may I go to the bathroom

Why do I only remember bathroom related phrases?  Question

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 06:36:05 PM »

lavatory
Puedo ir al bano? -only reason I remember this from Spanish is that I had to ask that in high school if had to use the bathroom during class, if I remember right translated it roughly means may I go to the bathroom

Why do I only remember bathroom related phrases?  Question

It's psychological. But being I'm not a psychiatrist-I have no idea what it means! In fact-I may be wong! Actually-I have no idea what I'm talking about! AHHH! Buggedout

Another grade school ryhme-

"Marihuana,marihuana
LSD,LSD
Doctors make it
Hippys take it
Why can't we?
Why can't we?"

Sign of the times (early 1970's)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:01:41 PM »

Endometrium and Endometriosis.  The Endometrium is the inner lining of the uterus and Endometriosis is the growth of endometrial tissue outside the uterus.  I learned them in 9th grade English class on a day when I was bored and ahead of the class.  Don't know why I would NEED to know them or what I would use them for as A.) I'm a guy and don't have a uterus, and B.) I'm not a doctor of any degree.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 06:23:33 AM »

Endometrium and Endometriosis.  The Endometrium is the inner lining of the uterus and Endometriosis is the growth of endometrial tissue outside the uterus.  I learned them in 9th grade English class on a day when I was bored and ahead of the class.  Don't know why I would NEED to know them or what I would use them for as A.) I'm a guy and don't have a uterus, and B.) I'm not a doctor of any degree.

I had endometriosis in my early 20s.  It's not fun.  It makes your monthly cycle very painful, makes sex painful and can make you sterile.  Thankfully, my doctor sorted me out because 12 months after my last visit, I fell pregnant.  Thumbup

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 06:34:22 AM »

Interesting difference in word usage there . . .
in America, women say "I got pregnant" or "I came up pregnant."  I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I fell pregnant" before.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 09:54:43 AM »

I had endometriosis in my early 20s.  It's not fun.  It makes your monthly cycle very painful, makes sex painful and can make you sterile.  Thankfully, my doctor sorted me out because 12 months after my last visit, I fell pregnant.  Thumbup
It certainly doesn't sound like a pleasant time.  I've never known anyone to have gone through that before, certainly didn't know you had.  I don't know what to say to that. Buggedout

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »

Interesting difference in word usage there . . .
in America, women say "I got pregnant" or "I came up pregnant."  I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "I fell pregnant" before.

True. That's just the common usage of the word "fell." It wouldn't surprise me if the phrase "I fell ill" were just as commonly used.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 11:19:10 AM »

I remembered a bunch of incredibly dull terminology from several communication courses I took in college. Todays term is culture shock.

Culture shock - a state of bewilderment and distress experienced by an individual who is suddenly exposed to a new, strange, or foreign social and cultural environment. Or it could mean the feelings of isolation, rejection, etc, experienced when one culture is brought into sudden contact with another, as when a primitive tribe is confronted by modern civilization. But I think this is the most accurate: a condition of confusion and anxiety affecting a person suddenly exposed to an unfamiliar culture.

Yes, I do realize that almost everyone knows what it means.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 01:33:56 PM »

Mucilage
Homeroom
Gymnatorium
Home Economics
Bagging (meaning to skip class)

One that surprises me is "decent." I can remember that being big when I was in elementary to middle school or thereabouts. Everything really good was decent. Kids would proclaim "Ever decent!" I suppose it got supplanted by "awesome," but it just seems weird that the usage appears to have disappeared completely. I mean, you still hear words like "cool" and "awesome" and even "groovy." The only slang or colloquial use of "decent" that remains is to declare something acceptable.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Words or phrases you remember from school, but hardly ever use in real life « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.