Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:38:17 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Creature (1985) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Creature (1985)  (Read 4440 times)
Robocop
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 17, 2011, 09:46:50 PM »

With only a four million dollar budget to work with, I thought the production crew did a resemble job with the casting which included Klaus Kinski. The set locations were impressive as was the cinemagraphic and the creature FX to my supprise were constructed really well considering the creature itself is quite obviously a blatant Alien rip off.

The story while basically ripping off the concept of the original Alien, had potential to work, though with slow pacing and the addition of a time filtering plot device that was handled so poorly it was downright laughable at times impacts the enjoyment one gets. While the creature looked good with the limited resources, I thought that some of the full-frame shots  looked absolutely ridiculous. I mean, Ridley Scott hesitated at showing the "Alien" in all its glory because he didn't want it to look like a guy in a suit, which it was in real life, but by making it stand on two legs and fight toe-to-toe with a human was a lesson of what not to do.

Anyway, since I received a poorly handled DVD I missed out on quite a few scenes, so going on what I saw; I'd give it a 5/10. Also, the special featuresindicate that the special effects studio for Creature was the same company that did Aliens and Commando; I was dead set shocked to read this.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:12:50 AM »

That's an old favorite of mine.  The characters were really fun and well developed, which carried the plot for me.  Some of the scary scenes were actually sort of well done.  The beginning was really stupid though - here, sit on this container with a killer alien inside so I can take a picture.  Smile  TeddyR  Oh jeez, who would have ever guessed that would happen? 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:53:52 AM »

Long time favorite. I only wish there was a decent DVD presenting the movie in its original aspect ratio (2.35:1).
Robocop
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:16:28 PM »

I'll give this little movie credit for at least trying. A lot of cheap modern movies (Like the ones from asylum) don't even try.

Good point and it raises the issue that a large percentage of B-Movies pre the 2000s 'era actually put in a lot of time and effort into developing a decent script with likable characters and story direction. Hell back in those days (as bad as they looked) SPX in B-Movies were a lot more realistic then the half asked computer graphics produced these days particularly from the Asylum. Anyone can get a hold of cheap programming with low quality software and dish out a dinosaur or a monster, and they look terrible. 
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 02:49:22 AM »

I saw this very early this morning: not bad.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 07:32:12 AM »

Watched this on the Mr. Lobo disc. A fun host makes film better.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 12:33:06 PM »

I have "Creature" on a dollar-store double-feature DVD paired with the Mark Hamill/Bill Paxton sci-fi flick "Slipstream." I didn't care for "Slipstream" much but I have watched "Creature" several times over the past few years, it's derivative but fun.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 10:37:59 PM »

I read an article where director William Malone talked about Klaus Kinski's involvement in this movie.  Apparently, he was brought in by the producers to the complete surprise of the director and everyone else in the cast and crew, and had to be hastily shoehorned in.  He was supposed to have a greater role but was too difficult to work with.  He kept doing things like bragging about raping his daughter and he refused to perform unless Malone literally screamed at him and got physical.  The last straw was when he brought a fifteenish girl, whom he identified as his "date", to a lunch meeting.  When pressed about where he found her, he shrugged and said, "Oh, from a schoolyard."  The producers quickly cut him a paycheck and told him to get lost.

Buggedout

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »

I have this as part of a 5-movie set I was gifted from a Con, I remember it being one of the more enjoyable features because I remembered the title. BounceGiggle I find it amusing that the token Ripley character has almost nothing to do for nearly all of the runtime.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
claws
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 11:57:08 PM »

I remember Media Home Entertainment doing some heavy promotion for this title when it was released to vhs. Big posters in every video store I went to, and running this ad in magazines

I also think to remember a counter display but found nothing on google.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:59:31 PM by claws » Logged
Nathan45
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »

One of the better Alien ripoffs.  Not to mention a rare example of a Alien ripoff that includes zombies.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Creature (1985) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.