Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:32:54 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Biggest box office bombs of all time « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Biggest box office bombs of all time  (Read 8865 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 10:35:12 PM »

Isn't Heaven's Gate (1980) kind of the ultimate example?

It's my understanding it wasn't really a bad movie, just overlong and severely oversold.

No, it's a really, really bad movie.  Boring and confusing at the same time, and you can barely make out what's going on onscreen.  One of my most hated movies.

Haven't seen many of these.  HEAVEN'S GATE I already mentioned.

I agree with everyone else about BARON MUNCHAUSEN---it's a good movie, has to be the best one on the list.

ISHTAR wasn't as bad as I had hoped it would be, just sort of mediocre.

Hard to believe JONAH HEX cost 60 million, it doesn't show on screen,  A very bad movie but there are some laughs to be had at its expense.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »

The 2004 version of THE ALAMO is an amazing film, highly historically accurate, brilliantly cast, and visually stunning.  I STILL don't understand why it flopped so hard. I show it to my 7th grade Texas History class every year.

Probably because it was boring. I tried to watch it, and depsite being interested in history myself, just couldn't get drawn in, for whatever reason. I'm not saying you are not correct in your assessments of the film, but it flopped for a reason.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Couchtr26

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »

Probably because it was boring. I tried to watch it, and depsite being interested in history myself, just couldn't get drawn in, for whatever reason. I'm not saying you are not correct in your assessments of the film, but it flopped for a reason.

I have to echo that same sentiment.  It was not a very fast paced movie.  Though in many ways more accurate, this is the problem you run into when making such movies.  It usually doesn't turn out well at captivating a large audience.  There is rarely mass appeal in such historical epics or more to the point mass ability to make the average movie goer say I want to see that movie. 

Ah, the good old days.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 04:27:13 PM »

I have to echo that same sentiment.  It was not a very fast paced movie.  Though in many ways more accurate, this is the problem you run into when making such movies.  It usually doesn't turn out well at captivating a large audience.  There is rarely mass appeal in such historical epics or more to the point mass ability to make the average movie goer say I want to see that movie. 

True, and I definately see it as unfortunate, because I wanted to like the film. It didn't do well commercially in part because of what you say, but I think it was more than that. It just didn't compel or feel right for some reason, and I'm not entirely sure I can pinpoint an exact reason for myself personally, because I tend not to need filmatic embellishment to enjoy an historical piece. It's just one of those unfortunate films that had lots of reasons to be very good, but for some reason was only good for a small audience.

But, you know, I may have to give The Alamo another go. I'm feeling like I may have missed something.

Couchtr26

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »

It just didn't compel or feel right for some reason, and I'm not entirely sure I can pinpoint an exact reason for myself personally, because I tend not to need filmatic embellishment to enjoy an historical piece. It's just one of those unfortunate films that had lots of reasons to be very good, but for some reason was only good for a small audience.

But, you know, I may have to give The Alamo another go. I'm feeling like I may have missed something.

Flick, I can understand not being able to pinpoint.  I have a similar problem with Alexander.  I usually enjoy historical epics but can't find myself to watch the movie.  Have tried a few times before but can never make it through the entire film.  I find it boring but can't pinpoint where it goes wrong for me.  It feels as though the cast while good doesn't fit for me.  It feels as though the movie is oddly paced and not captivating.  It just doesn't work in someway and I can sit through most anything else. 

I must admit I did like Alamo.  On that note, I also liked Gods and Generals.  Hmmm, it seems my historical movies don't make much money 'tis very sad. 

Ah, the good old days.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2011, 11:11:12 PM »

I just thought that the three leads - Billy Bob Thornton, Jason Patric, and the young actor who played Travis - all did outstanding jobs.  And the supporting cast - especially Dennis Quaid as Sam Houston - was just excellent.  I like the fact that they played up the role of both the Tejanos who fought for Texas independence, and the officers who served under Santa Anna.  The depiction of General Castrillon's death at San Jacinto was quite accurate and rather touching.  His last words, according to one of Santa Anna's staffers - "I have been in 40 battles and never showed the enemy my back yet.  I am too old to do it now."

Give the movie another chance.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »

I just thought that the three leads - Billy Bob Thornton, Jason Patric, and the young actor who played Travis - all did outstanding jobs.  And the supporting cast - especially Dennis Quaid as Sam Houston - was just excellent.  I like the fact that they played up the role of both the Tejanos who fought for Texas independence, and the officers who served under Santa Anna.  The depiction of General Castrillon's death at San Jacinto was quite accurate and rather touching.  His last words, according to one of Santa Anna's staffers - "I have been in 40 battles and never showed the enemy my back yet.  I am too old to do it now."

Give the movie another chance.

I will give it another go.

movie masochist
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 06:59:50 PM »

I own Rollerball on VHS, although I have yet to watch it. 

As many others have said, Baron Munchausen?  What a shame, that really is a great movie.  Didn't Terry Gilliam direct it?

Bonfire of the Vanities was a HUGE disappointment given how good the book was-and how applicable to the present day economy it is. 

I liked Man on the Moon.  I'm surprised that didn't do better. 

3000 Miles to Graceland was horrendous.  Just horrendous. 

www.thebestbadmovies.com   Only the best of the worst
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Biggest box office bombs of all time « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.