Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:45:55 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The demotion of Dilbert continues, no comic relief for creator « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The demotion of Dilbert continues, no comic relief for creator  (Read 3049 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: April 19, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »

I have copy/pasted all of this story with a link at the bottom to the source... this is all too relevant to an individual who still finds access and acceptance at this forum by disguising his identity:

The demotion of Dilbert continues, no comic relief for creator

There appears to be a growing epidemic of cranky creative types taking to the Internet to defend themselves from amateur critics.

Some are shameless in their self-promotion; others operate under the veil of anonymity.

Until they get busted, that is. This is what happened to Dilbert creator Scott Adams last week, in a public humiliation storyline that would suit a certain workplace drone comic strip character of his own creation. Adams was revealed to have been using an online pseudonym to bash message board users who did not have nice things to say about him.

In a world in which more and more celebrities are breaking down the digital barriers between famous and fan, the incident served to underscore the temptation, ease--and risk--of becoming your own biggest booster online.

The backstory: An individual posting as "PlannedChaos" recently rushed to the defense of Adams on the website MetaFilter, where users were panning the much-derided cartoonist, calling his intelligence into question. Gawker, in a post last Friday, outlined some of the suspiciously vigorous vindications.

Exhibit A: "He has a certified genius I.Q." Exhibit B: "Is it Adams' enormous success at self-promotion that makes you jealous and angry?" Exhibit C: "It's fair to say you disagree with Adams. But you can't rule out the hypothesis that you're too dumb to understand what he's saying."

Alas, the MetaFilter users eventually called PlannedChaos out, and Adams confessed that he was indeed behind the mask. But that wasn't the last of it.

Adams published a lengthy justification of his actions on his own website Monday afternoon in the form of a Q&A with PlannedChaos.

"According to the wise and fair denizens of the Internet," Adams wrote, "this behavior is proof that I am a thin-skinned, troll ... ego maniac ... misogynist," and a number of other epithets not fit for publication on this website. "That list might sound bad to you," he continued, "but keep in mind that I was starting from a pretty low base, so I think my reputation is trending up."

He then proceeded to offer some "proper context" for the scandal.

"Obviously an alias can be used for evil just as easily as it can be used to clear up simple factual matters. A hammer can be used to build a porch or it can be used to crush your neighbor's skull. Don't hate the tool," he wrote. "The next thing to consider is that in my line of work, some types of rumors can cause economic damage to hundreds of people in the so-called value chain. The stakes are high. I know from experience that when a rumor flares up that says, for example, I'm affiliated with one particular interest group or another, the people who hate that group will stop reading Dilbert comics."

You can read Adams' entire rant here. But not everyone's buying it.

"Keep digging, Adams," says Gawker's Adrian Chen.

Mary Elizabeth Williams of Salon offers a more analytical take.

"Anyone can be anyone on the Internet, and for many, anonymity offers a freedom and safety necessary for self-expression," she writes. "But when someone deliberately misrepresents himself, because he claims his own adoring 'invisible friend' is an 'unbiased messenger,' when he lies about who he is because it's 'fun' playing the 'vigilante,' it's a profound statement of cynicism about the nature of online community and contempt for his readers."  

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thecutline/20110419/ts_yblog_thecutline/the-demotion-of-dilbert-continues-no-comic-relief-for-creator

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The demotion of Dilbert continues, no comic relief for creator « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.