Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:20:29 AM
714148 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Old movies you couldn't make today. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Old movies you couldn't make today.  (Read 5922 times)
Dr. Strangelove
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:38:27 AM »

Obviously inspired by the old ads you couldn't do today thread I'm asking about old movies you could not make today.

I'll start with the oscar winning movie "The French Connection", that brought gene hackman an oscar for a character that now would be considered intolerable to american movie audiences.
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:21:45 AM »

Blazing Saddles.   I own the 30th anniversary edition and Mel Brooks and all the other producers say it could never be made now.

Hell, on American TV they even edit out the fart sounds in the campfire scene.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:15:12 AM »

Blazing Saddles was the first one I thought of too.  It might be a stretch but I also think you couldn't make Gone with the Wind today. Not because of budgets or societal norms but because the leads were just too perfect in that movie. Robbie Pattinson and Kate Hudson just wouldn't cut it. I would say the same for Casablanca.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »

Blazing Saddles was the first one I thought of too.  It might be a stretch but I also think you couldn't make Gone with the Wind today. Not because of budgets or societal norms but because the leads were just too perfect in that movie. Robbie Pattinson and Kate Hudson just wouldn't cut it. I would say the same for Casablanca.

Okay, thanks for making me almost vomit trying to picture Pattinson and Hudson in Gone With the Wind. You are a terrible person.

Wink

The 1980 film Arthur with Dudly Moore was recently remade with Russell Brand. I loved the original, and I have no intention of seeing the remake, although I have no problem with Russell Brand. But from the trailers I've seen of the remake, it looks like they've taken out the excessive drinking aspect of the character, and I'm not surprised. The original Arthur is almost taboo now. The last time I looked at comments on IMDB about it, half of them were about how drinking is not funny and how a comedy about an alcoholic is just not cool. Whatever. I can't stand puritanical attitudes.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:42:22 AM »

Many, many films would have to go total racial makeovers if anyone ever decided to do a remake:

CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK (1930) starring blackfaced Amos and Andy
THE MASK OF FU MANCHU (1932) or any of those 'Yellow Peril' movies
Most older Westerns featuring wild Injuns, the kind you can kill 20 of with one shot.

Would anyone ever even try to make these today?

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Raffine

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 09:52:35 AM »

Quote from: Flick James link=topic=134061.msg408141#msg408141
The 1980 film Arthur with Dudly Moore was recently remade with Russell Brand. I loved the original, and I have no intention of seeing the remake, although I have no problem with Russell Brand. But from the trailers I've seen of the remake, it looks like they've taken out the excessive drinking aspect of the character, and I'm not surprised. The original Arthur is almost taboo now. The last time I looked at comments on IMDB about it, half of them were about how drinking is not funny and how a comedy about an alcoholic is just not cool. Whatever. I can't stand puritanical attitudes.

That's a great example. I loved the original and will probably skip the remake, too. I understand one of the conditions of Arthur's inheritance is he gets clean and sober, which I'm sure he does in a very dramatic and touching montage.

hudders
Excuse me while I waffle.
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:35:08 AM »

It might be a stretch but I also think you couldn't make Gone with the Wind today.

IO9 did a great article likening Gone with the Wind to a post-apocalyptic story - that's a movie I'd pay to see.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:50:03 AM »

Well, there's another reason you can't make Gone With the Wind that I'm surprised nobody is mentioning. Having slaves that are loyal to the South and happy to be slaves is something you can't get away with in today's climate. Maybe those things happened historically, maybe they didn't. I'm not taking a stance either way. I just know there's no way depicting such a thing on screen would fly these days.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 11:00:04 AM »

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers from 1954.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Brides_for_Seven_Brothers_(film)#Plot

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 11:54:15 AM »

Most of the big budget musicals and Fred Astaire vehicles.  People don't find that sort of stuff entertaining.  Those folks had real talents, but its not anything we appriciate these days.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Raffine

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 11:56:20 AM »

I suppose you could make a BIRTH OF A NATION (1915) type film today, but you'd have to tone down the 'Heroic Ku Klux Klan' business a bit...

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 12:04:13 PM »

Just about any old movie where all the black characters were butlers, maids or train conductors.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
hudders
Excuse me while I waffle.
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »

Well, there's another reason you can't make Gone With the Wind that I'm surprised nobody is mentioning. Having slaves that are loyal to the South and happy to be slaves is something you can't get away with in today's climate. Maybe those things happened historically, maybe they didn't. I'm not taking a stance either way. I just know there's no way depicting such a thing on screen would fly these days.

Just about any old movie where all the black characters were butlers, maids or train conductors.

I don't see why. We shouldn't shy away from history - if a movie is set in a particular time period then its characters should reflect the attitudes of that time. If that means relegating black characters to subservient roles, so be it; it would be jarring to watch a film set during racial segregation where tensions and atitudes between races are completely ignored. What if you saw a WWII flick with Nazis played by a mix of races? The anachronism would stick out like a sore thumb and potentially ruin the movie.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »

That brings up another point. While not movies in and of themselves, the old series of Little Rascas shorts couldn't be re-done because of the stuff with Stymie and Buckwheat. There were a lot of sight gags and phrases that was really politically incorrect.

A few of them I can think of now were Birthday BluesShiver Me Timbers and the not-so PC king of them all, The Kid From Borneo, with Bumbo the wild man.   And aside from this stuff, these 3 episodes were truly hilarious.

That, and some of the old Three Stooges stuff too, that starred Dudley Dickerson most of the time.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 04:46:56 PM »

in society's defnse, there is probably alot more things you can make today that you couldn't then.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Old movies you couldn't make today. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.