Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:04:11 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Your Top 20 VAMPIRE movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Your Top 20 VAMPIRE movies  (Read 15086 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 06:04:26 PM »

Actually it's kind of tough to pick a Top 20 because well I still feel I have quite a few yet to catch but anyways out of what I have seen:

1) Nosferatu: by far I think the creepiest and eeriest and perhaps the most frightening vampire tale of them all.
2) Nosferatu the Vamypre: the remake with Klaus Kiniski is pretty darn good too and plays up the tragic elements arguably even more.
3) Dracula (1931): Bela Lugosi's Dracula is still arguably the definitive one.
4) Spanish Dracula (1931): Spanish version done on the same sets. Is surprisingly very good.
5) Blacula: I love this movie. William Marshall is great! and rises this a notch or two above its blaxploitation roots.
6) Salem's Lot: the first vampire movie to truly frighten the beejezus out of me, especially the creepy kids.
7) Black Sabbath: again the creepy child vampire scenes really rise this a notch above in terms of creepiness and of course there's the always great Boris Karloff.
8) Horror of Dracula: the first Christopher Lee film gives Dracula more fangs.
9) Cronos: a great more modern take on the tragic element.
10) Vampyr: genuinely creepy and surreal but also rather terrifying in its own right.
11) Blood of Dracula: Dracula played to the teen 50s Drive-In audience.
12) Dracula's Daughter: Surprisingly different take on the genre with elements of lesbian erotism.
13) Son of Dracula: I like Lon Chaney Jr.'s take on the character.
14) Fright Night: good 80s take, something a bit different.
15) Count Yorga, Vampire: good  70s take, something a bit different again.
16) Dracula (1979): hey, it frightened me as a kid, gives it points with me.
17) Kiss of the Vampire: decidedly different than most films that proceeded it, liked the reclusive vampire hunter element.
18) The Night Stalker: Carl Kolchak must reluctantly match wits with an undead vampire.
19) Vampire Hunter D: good anime take on the vampire legends, refreshingly different too.
20) The Vampire Lovers: great and horrific imagery but also hard to take one's eyes off of due to its erotism.

Honorable mentions: The Brides of Dracula, Blood & Donuts, Mark of the Vampire, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Isle of the Dead, Black Sunday, Fearless Vampire Killers, Werewolf vs. the Vampire Woman, Shadow of the Vampire, Satanic Rites of Dracula, The Addiction

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 06:39:59 AM »

Some films that didn't make the top 20-but I was very iffy on them-I DO love them-
.DRACULA'S DAUGHTER-Like JaseSF sez-theirs more than a little lesbianism going on here-the forerunner of the VAMPIRE LOVERS.
.SON OF DRACULA-Chaney was a very physical Dracula-kinda like Chris Lee was. He didn't mind grabbing you by the throat and tossing you across the room.
.the LAST MAN ON EARTH-Before NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD-there was this. Vinnie fighting a whole world full of vampires!
.PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES-Mario Bava's excellent photography and mood shine-whether in Gothic Europe or outer space.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »

Bob-though Bela wore the Dracula costume (it was actually an outake for an unmade Wood film-Bela was dead by the time PLAN 9 was made) the undead in PLAN 9 were actually  zombies. Bela also wore the Dracula cape in SPOOKS RUN WILD and OLD MOTHER RILEY MEETS THE VAMPIRE...and wasn't an actual  vampire in those films either. Low budget film makers were exploiting his Dracula image. He was broke. He did it. A man has to eat.
He WAS a vampire-and very Draculean,in RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE.
He appeared as a Dracula type charecter in MARK OF THE VAMPIRE(1935)...but alas...well..if you haven't seen the film,I won't spoil it. It IS a great performance...and a vampire film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6SAfFCA9RA

MOTHERf**kING COCK!!!
WHY WHY DO THESE PRICKS NOT ALLOW-f**k em.

Dam. Ok. No love for GOLIATH AND THE VAMPIRES?  TongueOut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSxr7iB0G4g

hmmm.... I know that but I'm not quite sure why I posted that. Lack of sleep perhaps?

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Raffine

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 01:36:47 PM »

A couple of good ones I don't think have been mentioned:

QUEEN OF BLOOD (1966) An AIP mashup from from Russian scifi footage with new stuff by Curtis Harrington. It's about a mysterious alien woman who turns out t be a vampire.  It's actually pretty creepy. Costars Basil Rathbone and Forrest J Ackerman!

RETURN OF COUNT YORGA (1971) The Count from LA targets an orphanage. I think it's actually better than the first film.

There's also CONDEMNED TO LIVE (1935) and DEAD MEN WALK (1945), a couple of poverty row horrors rhat actually feature real vampires. Real monsters were pretty scarce in these low budget films.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 05:13:49 AM »

I forgot Subspecies!  Buggedout

Small | Large

Archivist

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 05:40:01 AM »

Modern movies:

Blade - as soon as it was over, I wanted to buy another ticket to see it again.
Wes Craven's Dracula 2000 - Gerard Butler is fantastic in this one
Lifeforce - which was based on the Colin Wilson novel 'The Space Vampires' and features the unutterably gorgeous Mathilda May NAKED for most of the movie, and has a super soundtrack by Henry Mancini

Older movies:

Twins of Evil - Mary and Madeleine Collinson!  Hot hot hot!
The Vampire Lovers - Madeline Smith!  Even hotter!!!
Count Yorga, Vampire - Robert Quarry does a great job in this movie and its sequel
The Return of Count Yorga
Lust for a Vampire - Yutte Stensgaard! I think that Hammer movies and British TV of that time permanently imprinted me on hot British and European girls.

I have to admit that I haven't seen any of the Christopher Lee Dracula movies, despite really enjoying Hammer horror and vampire movies.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Your Top 20 VAMPIRE movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.