Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:29:52 AM
714146 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  LP Collections? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LP Collections?  (Read 5359 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: April 22, 2011, 09:43:21 AM »

I don't get to the used record store much anymore, but I do love me an old fashioned LP. There's just something about music on vinyl. That warm sound that the digital format just does not convey. If you've never done it, you should listen to Led Zeppelin on an LP some day and hear the music as it was heard in the 70's. It's not the same. I've got plenty of music from the LP age in digital format, and that's fine, but nothing is quite like the feeling the music coming off of that analog disc, through a stylus, and into those speakers.

How many people here have a record collection? If so, what are some of your gems? Here are a few of mine:

There are lots more, but those were what I could come up with spur of the moment and not having the collection handy.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 10:07:39 AM »

Gawd,I usta have a HUGE collection once upon a time...just a small stack now...but some -these ain't reissues...there old.
.HELP!-the soundtrack from the Beatles movie
.the 1st and Second Beatles albums.
.MICHIGAN ROCKS-a local label record featuring then new Michigan artists Iggy and the Stooges,Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes,the Bob Segar System,Detroit w/Mitch Ryder, MC5,the Rationals,SRC and FROST.
.IRON MAIDEN-Number of the Beast
.2 VENTURES albums-GO! With the Ventures, and HAWAII 5-0.
Some Rolling Stones,Hendrix,Ted Nugent,some old K-Tel 70's hits compilations,a band called SPIRIT,Paul Revere and the Raiders,Cole Porter Band (thats a heavy old thing!),the usual yard sale crap. I got a few Led Zep records too. My record player is ancient...it took a s**t. It's like,circa 1940 something. In fact it's so big my TV sits on top of it. The speaker dosnt have cover wire mesh...it's woven string. RCA Victor. Everything works...but no sound. Hmm. Speaker wires more than likley corroded. I'll have get around to messing with it someday...

I have alot of 45's. My favorites-
.The Ventures (again!)
.Danny and the Juniors
.Tommy James and the Shondells
.lotsa Beatles
.lotsa Doors
.the Youngbloods
.the Marcels
.Terry Knight and the Pack
.lotsa Turtles
.Roy Orbinson
.P Funk
.Deep Purple
.Patsy Cline
...and lotsa obscure junk.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pilgermann

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »

I've got around 75 vinyl records or so, but there aren't too many highlights.  

I have an original mono US pressing of The Beach Boys' Pet sounds.  
Radiohead - OK Computer
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin original vinyl - kind of scarce and used to go for $100 or so, but it's been reissued which probably kills its value.  I also haveOh My Gawd!!! that's not in great shape but it's on clear vinyl which looks neat.  I've got 2 copies of their White Christmas 45 on clear green vinyl.
Miracle Legion - I got a brand new copy of Me & Mr. Ray a several years ago and it's a wonderful album.  Not really valuable but it's not in print in any format at the moment.
Gentle Giant - I've got The Power and the Glory and Octopus (US edition) which are not only great albums, but both have neat die-cut covers.
I've got this Billy Preston compilation, Organ Transplant, that I picked up because the cover looked so awesome:

I believe that's Bela Lugosi on the far right.

I like The Residents and for a while I had a pretty good collection of their stuff (mostly on CD) but I've parted with some of it.  The only 2 on vinyl I had were a pristine brand new copy of their collaboration with Renaldo & the Loaf, Title In Limbo, and a darn near mint copy of the limited edition Mark of the Mole pressed on light brown vinyl, with an autographed silk-screened cover!  I think only 900 were made.  I got it for a steal and sold it not long after but I regret doing so.  :(
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:56:02 AM by Pilgermann » Logged

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »

Ah. Speaking of The Residents, I have this on vinyl:

However, it is a bit too avant garde even for my tastes.

claws
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 10:47:24 AM »

I sold almost all of my vinyls in the mid 90s at flea markets. Made good money too (had about 900-1000 albums).
The last two, three years a few of my friends started collecting vinyls. It amuses me when they show me their latest purchases. It's usually stuff I used to own back in the day.
Myself don't have the energy or time to start all over again (and no cool record shops in my area). I re-bought lots of my favorite vinyl albums on CD over the years, no way I'm going to buy them on vinyl again.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 11:01:23 AM »

Got about 600 LPs. I have a small amount stored in my bedroom and then the stuff I also have on cd, I keep in bags in my spare room until I get round to selling them. I've got everything in metal from Accept to Zed Yago and a few pop records/soundtracks that I picked up real cheap.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My rarest records are:

Jagwire "Made In Heaven" (1985)

Hanover Fist "Hungry Eyes" (1985)

London "Non-Stop Rock" (1985)

I've also got a signed Tigertailz LP and a '45 of a Stoke based band called Bazooka Jo, of which only a handful of copies were made.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:05:30 PM by Circus Circus » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:11:50 AM »

I've got around 75 vinyl records or so, but there aren't too many highlights.  

I've got this Billy Preston compilation, Organ Transplant, that I picked up because the cover looked so awesome:

I believe that's Bela Lugosi on the far right.

Aye! and the rest of the cast from SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939)! Neato!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 12:46:38 PM »

Like others here, I had several hundred LPs, mostly sold in the '90s to the Princeton record exchange for peanuts.  I kept around 100, maybe 200, but really "gave away" some great hard-to-find vinyl... some real collector's stuff... Bluesad

I do have these original issues still:

... lots more.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 06:19:50 PM »

I have about 40 lp's (Not counting the ones owned by my parents just sitting in a container next to mine). Here are some of my favorites. but not all my favorites BounceGiggle

Here is my whole collection. stored in a old liquor box.

One of my favorite bands albums

Rush Yes and King Crimson

I haven't got much, but I only got a record player last year.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »

I had a very nice record collection when I was younger (hey, I grew up in the 1970s and 80s).  I ended up selling all my vinyl when cds started to become popular.  I had stuff like THE RAMONES, BLONDIE, ELVIS COSTELLO, LED ZEPPELIN, THE CARS, JOURNEY, THE EDGAR WINTER GROUP, REO SPEEDWAGON, FOREIGNER, THE POLICE, QUIET RIOT, and tons of other stuff.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »

I never had all that many - hardly a what could be called a 'collection' - but unlike others I held onto all of them and kept picking up more.  Now I have several hundred.   I have no idea if any of them rank as 'highlights', but it seems unlikely. 

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 01:42:14 PM »

Well, I wasn't talking about collector's items per se, or items that an avid LP collector would salivate over, although that would be very cool. Just curious how many people have an LP collection and what some of their favorites on vinyl might be.

I just thought of another one. I picked up a copy of The Beatles Rubber Soul that had to have been purchased by a Beatlemaniac in the 60's. The album sleeve had messages of teenage adoration for all the members, but in particular Paul, written all over it. Any time I ever pull it out I always crack up and picture some 14-year-old girl in the throws of a Beatle crush in 1965.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »

I bought this record a few years ago off of ebay as it wasn't yet available on CD (it is now).  I listened to it quite a bit.  
JUNE CHRISTY This Time Of Year    

I have a lot more than I thought... I have a RAVEL boxed set from 1961 (which is available on CD) the world premiere performance of RAVEL's "Serenade Grotesque" at Queens College issued by Musical Heritage Society probably 1975... the only decent recording of it I've heard...BEATLES "Rarities" (which was the only example of "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" that I have - prob'ly my favorite BEATLES recording) plus them singing in German ("Sie Liebt Dich" Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!) WWF "Across The Universe"... BOBBIE GENTRY Ode To Billy Joe (the original complete album still unavailable on CD)... THE BEACH BOYS Greatest Hits Vol. 2 ...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 04:49:36 PM »

My parents still have all their vinyl, including:

* HAIR soundtrack (from the Broadway show)
* Sonny & Cher
* Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66
* Johnny Cash
* Carly Simon
* Rusty Warren (a "dirty" comedienne who was famous for her "Knockers Up" album and the song "Bounce Your Boobies.")
* Dozens of Christmas Albums (The Ames Brothers, Bing Crosby, Perry Como, Mario Lanza, you name it . . . )
* Many, many more

My mother also has several (about 6 or 8) cases of original 45s from the 1950s and early 60s including Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, the Everly Brothers, Chuck Berry, Connie Francis, the Five Satins, and many, many other artists.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 08:24:13 AM »

I have quite a large vinyl collection across many genres of music. I have alot of 80's stuff ( metal, pop etc). Quite a good grunge collection and a fair bit of rockabilly / rock'n'roll.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  LP Collections? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.