Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:31:57 PM
714162 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Places You'd Bring Visiting Board Members In Your Area « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Places You'd Bring Visiting Board Members In Your Area  (Read 16980 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: April 22, 2011, 10:03:04 PM »

So hypothetically speaking, one or a bunch of board members come over to your house to visit.  Based on what you know about them, where would you take them?

Pretty much everyone on the board here I'd take to two different placeds in the RI area.  The first one being Lizzie Borden's house in MA which is about 20 minutes from my house.  

Secondly, I'd probably take everyone to visit different parts of Providence that related to HP Lovecraft.  I've never personally been unlike the Borden house, but I'd probably like to go with a group of people with similar interests.  His grave is out there as well.

Now for specific members.  
RCMerchant I'd take out to the local antique stores next to the ocean based on his love of collecting.  
Circus I'd probably take out to the bar scene, especially if they were having a retro 80s show.  
Trevor I'd probably bring to the local filmhouse to catch a flick.  
Indianasmith I think would enjoy hitting up some local historical areas.  
Andrew and Jack I'd take to my in law's farm to see my garden.  
Newt I'd probably take to a polo match based on her love of horses.  Yep, they do that in my area.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 10:37:53 PM »

Definitely give folks a tour of the station, & if I could get my printer working (or find a new one), show some pictures & tell some stories about how drastically the place has improved since 2006.

Maybe the civil war museum, & share some old family stories about some improvements my mom's grandfather made to the grounds, despite the fact that developers since then have undone all his work.

I've never been to the Poe Museum or the Holocaust Museum, so it might be a good excuse. (I understand Beau Marie made a documentary for the Holocaust Museum about a survivor in the area who has a sense of humor about his ordeal, & how he learned to live again following the war.)

I might try to point out a few landmarks which appeared in films like The Shadow Conspiracy, Finnigin Begin Again, etc.

Perhaps Gallery 5, which was once the city's first firehouse & police station, & if possible, introduce folks to owner Tom Robinson, who can tell a tale or two about the place, as well as some of the more macabre moments in Richmond history.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
LilCerberus

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:57:40 PM »

Perhaps on a Saturday Night, I take folks to The Richmond Movie Palace (formerly The Byrde Theater) to see Bob Gulledge play the Mighty Wurlitzer, then go get a Ruben & come back for the Midnight Movie.

If anything's going on at the Richmond International Raceway, or perhaps just drive by it to point out the home of the I-Book Riots.

I haven't been to Busch Gardens since I was a kid. It might be fun to ride the Apollo's Chariot & sit in the same seat where Fabio collided with a duck. Then maybe take a tour of the Busch Brewery, even though I don't drink anymore, and the beer of choice around these parts is Pabst Blue Ribbon.

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
LilCerberus

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:33:54 PM »

It might be fun to visit Goochland's Field Day of the Past http://www.fielddayofthepast.net/

Which happens to be right next to the gas station where I filmed my opening scene from Comfort Zone
Small | Large

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 12:19:54 AM »

WWII Museum- they have a restoration of a platoon going out in front of the museum
various restaurants

yeah no.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:10:46 AM »

Well, it's either go for a beer in a pub or go get indian food. There's absolutely nowhere to go or anything interesting to see or do where I happen to live.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 06:15:26 AM »

Lawton is Dead City. Mebbe the flea market? The river-go fishing?

I'd take Killer Bees or Sister Grace to my place,though! Rolf! Bark! Hooowl!  Wink

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 07:26:08 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 06:36:46 AM »

Well, we could drive up on top of a hill where there's a scenic overlook of the town.  That's pretty, for as long as you want to stand there and look at it.  The Mississippi runs right through here.  We could look at barges and stuff  TeddyR  Bunch of bars in town, they're all dives pretty much.  Full of blitzed college students.

We could drink some beer and watch a movie.  That's pretty much the pinnacle of excitement in this neck of the woods I'm afraid.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Raffine

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »

I'm fortunate enough to live in a town - Savannah, GA - practically crawling with stuff for bad movie fans to do.

Definitely Bonaventure Cemetary. Not only is it wonderfully creepy even in broad daylight but scenes for MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL and CITY OF THE DEAD were filmed there. I'm counting on an invite to visit Bonaventure will be the tipping point to get Trevor to the USA!  TeddyR

There's several ghost tours every day of the city; the best ghost is probably Poor Rene.  

For the literary minded a tour of the Flannery O'Connor Museum would seem right. That extremely bad Miley Cyrus movie THE LAST SONG was filmed on nearby Tybee Island. The fake wedding chapel they built for the movie is still standing and people are actually getting married there now. Life imitates art!

True bad movie buffs, we can scour nearby Port Wentworth for any surviving locales from SQUIRM. When I asked some locals if the diner where the guy gets an worm in his egg creme is still around they looked at me like I was CRAZY.   Buggedout
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:14:21 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 06:47:56 AM »

I'm fortunate enough to live in a town - Savannah, GA - practically crawling with stuff for bad movie fans to do.

Definitely Bonaventure Cemetary. Not only is it wonderfully creepy even in broad daylight but scenes for MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL and CITY OF THE DEAD were filmed there. There's several ghost tours every day of the city; the best ghost is probably Poor Rene.  

For the literary minded a tour of the Flannery O'Conner Museum would seem right. That extremely bad Miley Cyrus movie THE LAST SONG was filmed on nearby Tybee Island. The fake wedding chapel they built for the movie is still standing and people are actually getting married there now. Life imitates art!

True bad movie buffs, we can scour nearby Port Wentworth for any surviving locales from SQUIRM. When I asked some locals if the diner where the guy gets an worm in his egg creme is still around they looked at me like I was CRAZY.   Buggedout

I'd go yo the Graveyard-AND down to Port Wentworth. I like swampy country. My town sits in a swamp. You meet the most interesting people in the swamp. All sortsa crazy folks.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Raffine

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 06:51:53 AM »

I'd go yo the Graveyard-AND down to Port Wentworth. I like swampy country. My town sits in a swamp. You meet the most interesting people in the swamp. All sortsa crazy folks.

You'd be surprised (well, probably not) at how few city folks understand that alligators will EAT YOU.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 06:59:14 AM »

OH! We could go to Martin Dragway! Old school stock car racing drag racing and crash up derbys!
SUNDAY! SUNDAY SUNDAY! US 131 MARTIN DRAAAAAAGWAYYYY!

Small | Large

You'd be surprised (well, probably not) at how few city folks understand that alligators will EAT YOU.

Well...we aint got gators here in Michigan-but the black water snakes and swamp rattlers are a b***h!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 07:08:24 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 08:07:01 AM »

I'd take Killer Bees to the beach because...well...ya know.   Wink

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Raffine

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 08:11:12 AM »

Well...we aint got gators here in Michigan-but the black water snakes and swamp rattlers are a b***h!

I grew up with stories about swampy parts of the lake filled with cottonmouths that would swarm you like flies if you put one foot in the water.  If they didn't get you, the snapping turtles would. And they would bite you and not let go until it thundered! For us the movie FROGS was a documentary!  TeddyR

We're suposed to have coral snakes around here, but I haven't seen one yet.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 08:21:55 AM »

I grew up with stories about swampy parts of the lake filled with cottonmouths that would swarm you like flies if you put one foot in the water.  If they didn't get you, the snapping turtles would. And they would bite you and not let go until it thundered! For us the movie FROGS was a documentary!  TeddyR

We're suposed to have coral snakes around here, but I haven't seen one yet.
When I was a little kid in Wappinger Falls,NY, there was a homemade racetrack the teenagers use. Basically it was an old field. It was swarming with copperheads! Didn't keep my little ass (6 years old) from going over there and watching the big kids have fun! My dad grabbed a live copperhead by the neck and held it up to me-"See that boy? This will kill you!" f**kem. I'd sneak over there anyway. I wasn't fraid of snakes. Wasps! They scared me! I was walking in an old junkyard- about the same time-kicked an old car muffler-f**kin wasps stung the hell outta me! You can dance around a snake-no dancing with wasps.
(My parents didnt give a dam where I was-as long as I wasnt under there feet-was fine with me.)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Places You'd Bring Visiting Board Members In Your Area « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.