Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:20:44 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Question... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Question...  (Read 6285 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 27, 2011, 07:46:01 AM »

Wut do u th1nk uv ppl who tipe leik dis?

Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:59:33 AM »

I think they don't know how fast I delete their text messages. Down here, when you get pulled over the first thing a cop  does is check your text messages. I would at least want my criminal friends to appear halfway intelligent....
hahah.

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 08:55:56 AM »

I hate that crap.  Takes half as long to type so the recipient can spend three times as long trying to decipher it.  And if someone types like that, what they've got to say is never worth reading anyway.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Sister Grace

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 08:57:32 AM »

I hate that crap.  Takes half as long to type so the recipient can spend three times as long trying to decipher it.  And if someone types like that, what they've got to say is never worth reading anyway.

a word i never use, but.... "amen"

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 11:31:55 AM »

When I see someone write in textspeak in a public forum, I conclude they're young and clueless about the wider world.  Not understanding that your particular slang/jargon isn't universal is either a sign of low intelligence or, more charitably, simple inexperience. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »

I completely agree.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 12:43:09 PM »

It depends. I see everyone's points, but there is a place for it I feel. Obviously it only fits where both sender and recipient are comfortable with it. It's used in gaming a bit, where one needs to get a message out fast, and other people generally know what is meant even with the misspellings and abbreviations.

That said, there's really three different methods being used in AJ's example. "wut", "u", and "ppl" are shorthand so to speak, just used to save time. "tipe" and "leik" are just misspellings, and "th1nk", "dis", and "uv" is just crappy, stupid netspeak. I see the situation where 'shorthand' is useful, and if time is an issue, then many misspellings are OK to leave be. It all depends on the environment, the 'rules' get looser in a private setting.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 12:51:22 PM »

Idiots, that are rapidly destroying their language and literary skills, who also have no patience. Not only does my sister type like that, she talks like that too!  Buggedout

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 02:44:25 PM »

Idiots, that are rapidly destroying their language and literary skills, who also have no patience. Not only does my sister type like that, she talks like that too!  Buggedout

When I was teaching I had students turn in assignments with these spellings.  They didn't know which was the real way to spell.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 05:02:12 PM »

As a cartoonist, I sometimes type certain words phonetically-such as "I think Imma gonna puke!" or "Yew gotta purdy mouf!"
But not the abbreveation crap. (I DO have a BIG spelling problem with certain words.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:04:24 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 06:20:13 PM »

I weep for the trashing of the language of Shakespeare and Churchill. Bluesad

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Paquita

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 06:22:50 PM »

Bah I hate it!  OK sometimes I use “cuz” or “cos” – I don’t even know where “cos” came from, it doesn’t make sense, but I just picked it up.  I always try to make a point to spell things out, if anything just so I don’t forget how to spell!  Even when I played World of Warcraft I would spell stuff out, sometimes ignoring a random typo in the best interest of time, but even then I typed a lot faster than those abbreviating douchey gamers.  Although, I will purposely type like a douche when I’m pretending to be someone else, but that’s all in good fun!

As a cartoonist, I sometimes type certain words phonetically-such as "I think Imma gonna puke!" or "Yew gotta purdy mouf!"
But not the abbreveation crap. (I DO have a BIG spelling problem with certain words.)

RC you make a good point!  I don’t mind misspelling in a casual setting such as a forum if it is to portray how you actually speak.  Now I know I’m no historian,  and I know I’m putting my intellect on the line here which can be dangerous, but I believe before the widespread use of the printing press and the standardization of spelling, literature was written as it was spoken by the writer and that was completely acceptable as an intelligent way of writing.  I always like reading old poems and stories that are kept in their original written form because it gives a little glimpse into the dialect of a certain region and time period.  It kind of makes the modern way of writing seem stiff and boring.  That’s why I never really pay much mind to misspellings, especially when they’re obviously phonetic mistakes.

I do like BFF though, only because I can say it stands for Big Fat Friend.  And WTF because I don’t like to swear.
Sister Grace

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 07:14:26 PM »

I weep for the trashing of the language of Shakespeare and Churchill. Bluesad

I had to take Ebonics my sophomore year at UT. Of four and a half year of college, that was the lowest score I have ever received in the entire history of my education.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »

You were required to take a course in a laguage that does not exist?
What the heck was your major?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »

here's what I think:
1)

2) I sometimes talk like DIS, but I don't give a rats ass about leet talk at all. If I text, it's usually with WORDS, not abbreviations! It's even more embarassing when a figgen English 3 student uses leet in their essays. I'm not an English teacher, but that there is a big ol' F-

yeah no.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Question... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.