Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:30:31 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Albums you like that everyone else hates. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Albums you like that everyone else hates.  (Read 7002 times)
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 27, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »

We've got threads like this for bad movies, so why not albums?

Kiss-Music From the Elder: I love this album. It may be different as to what we're normally used to from Kiss, but the difference is fantastic. It's sad the band hates this album with a passion. I really think it's something special and I also find that it proves that Kiss are not just your typical rock 'n' rollers.

Alice Cooper-Constrictor/Raise Your Fist and Yell: These albums kick ass. While I do agree that they're not quite up to par with Alice's previous work, they are nonetheless fun records. "Constrictor" has a more hair metal/party feel to it whereas "Raise Your Fist and Yell" is much more metal oriented. I listen to these two albums back to back, thus proves my respect for them.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:39:11 PM »

I agree with your two picks DWV, good albums just not on par with previous output.

Here's the first one that springs to mind:

Judas Priest's "Turbo" album from 1986. It gets such a slating for the fact that they used synthesised guitars, but that very same year Iron Maiden did it and nobody gave a toss! Yeah it's more commercial and the song-writing isn't that strong, but it was always gonna be a tall order to follow up Defenders Of The Faith & Screaming For Vengeance and Turbo is miles better than Demolition, Nostradamus, and even Point Of Entry. There's some great stuff here, "Turbo Lover" and "Reckless" being the stand-outs.

Sister Grace

I found my mind in a brown paper bag...

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »

NON- God and Beast (didn't think the album art would be found appropriate by all...)

here's a youtube of the best song on the album.

Small | Large

Society, exactly as it now exists is the ultimate expression of sadomasochism in action.<br />-boyd rice-<br />On the screen, there\\\'s a death and the rustle of cloth; and a sickly voice calling me handsome...<br />-Nick Cave-
voltron

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »

Pik Floyd - The Final Cut

Critically maligned and not considered to be a "real" Floyd album - it's pretty much the Roger Waters show, but I absolutely LOVE it!

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 03:14:06 PM »

Here's a few records that either critics hated, didn't sell well, and/or nobody listens to... records that I really like:
SILVER APPLES Silver Apples / Contact

ROLLING STONES Black And Blue 

THE BEATLES Let It Be

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:44:08 PM »

I agree with your two picks DWV, good albums just not on par with previous output.

Here's the first one that springs to mind:

Judas Priest's "Turbo" album from 1986. It gets such a slating for the fact that they used synthesised guitars, but that very same year Iron Maiden did it and nobody gave a toss! Yeah it's more commercial and the song-writing isn't that strong, but it was always gonna be a tall order to follow up Defenders Of The Faith & Screaming For Vengeance and Turbo is miles better than Demolition, Nostradamus, and even Point Of Entry. There's some great stuff here, "Turbo Lover" and "Reckless" being the stand-outs.

A bit of supporting info about this album: Back in 1996 (to late 1999) I was privileged (AND honored)  to have known John Gallagher, bassist\vocalist for NWOBHM legends Raven, when he lived in Baldwin, NY. We spoke on the phone, exchanged E-mail and letters and albums regularly.

Very special thanks to Roy Coston of the band 4 Large men for hooking me up with John!

Anyway, John mentioned that Raven's The Pack Is Back was also released in 1986, and that Judas Priests' and Raven were both on the same label, and the attempt to commercialize both bands (and the money lost as a result) resulted in heavy non-stop touring to try to recoup the record company's collective losses.

John mentioned how the company execs "nannied" them and pressurized both bands to drop their streetwise images and go more mainstream, and also that JP and Raven lost possibly 6-digit figures as a result of the demon we call commercialization.

1986 also had Raven releasing a 6-song mini LP called Mad and a very good but a bit-come lately studio album called Life's A b***h. That album got great reviews and set Raven somewhat back on track.

John said that was the worst period in their early career, and that he and Rob Halford look back on that and joke about it often.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:55:23 AM »

Tales from topographic oceans by Yes

The Final cut by Pink Floyd.

ChaosTheory

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:49:17 PM »

Black Holes & Revelations (Muse) - the critics were pretty rough on it, I recall SPIN was particularly harsh; it's one of my favorite albums, go figure

Let It Be & Yellow Submarine (the Beatles)

DarkLight (HIM) - which I guess is really only disliked by the band's old-school fans, for its more poplike "radio-friendly" sound (or maybe they were just annoyed b/c Ville chopped his hair short, I dunno)

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 03:53:06 AM »

Accept's 1989 album "Eat The Heat"

This got totally slated when it came out and is still loathed by nearly all Accept fans and lots of casual metalheads who have heard it. It's not a bad album at all. It's a fantastic 80s metal album, but there was no Udo on vocals. This was the first album without their legendary short singer, so the band brought in David Reece who happens to be one of my all time favourite vocalists. Reece falls somewhere between David Coverdale and Udo and was more than upto the job. Everyone always says this is a pop record and that the band sold out. That's madness, you only have to listen to "XTC", "Hellhammer" and "D-Train" to clearly see that it's not the case. I wish they'd have done another record with Reece, he hasn't sang on nearly enough records in the last 20 years or so and it's criminal.

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 04:21:14 AM »

Soundgarden- Down on the Upside

Coal Chamber- Chamber Music (their only good album, IMO)

Drowning Pool- Desensitized

Marylin Manson- Mechanical Animals

Megadeth- Cryptic Writings (but I still think Risk is s**t)

Metallica- Load (but I still think St. Anger is s**t)

Sponge- Wax Ecstatic (I like it better than their first album)
ChaosTheory

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 10:59:01 AM »

Metallica- Load (but I still think St. Anger is s**t)

I'll back you up on that one; I try to pretend Load was the last thing they released.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »

Slayer - God Hates Us All
Pantera - Reinventing The Steel
Metallica - Black Album

the best, heaviest albums by each group IMO - doubt many agree, I've seen all 3 slated by fans

Megadeth- Cryptic Writings (but I still think Risk is s**t)

I'm pretty much the opposite, I like the diversity of Risk, plus Breadline and Prince Of Darkness are 2 of my fav megadeth songs. Cryptic Writings doesn't do much for me. they sound on autopilot to me, on that album... oh well  Smile

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 03:45:49 AM »

Slayer - God Hates Us All
Pantera - Reinventing The Steel
Metallica - Black Album

the best, heaviest albums by each group IMO - doubt many agree, I've seen all 3 slated by fans

I like all those albums, but I don't think they're the best by each band. The Black album is yes, from a commercial/production standpoint otherwise I'd always have to say Ride The Lightning if we're viewing Metallica as still a thrash act.

voltron

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 08:12:07 AM »

Soundgarden- Down on the Upside

I didn't know anyone hated this one! I remember when I first got it and it blew me away. For a period of time, I thought it was better than Superunknown. Actually, I recently relistened to both and Down... to me was more enjoyable and Superunknown felt kind of dated - probably because I listened to that one to death back in the day. But, you can't argue the fact that "Applebite" and "Switch Opens" are some of the 'Garden's finest works, IMO.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 11:13:35 AM »

Almost any Nickelback album: Why not?  Everyone seems to dislike these guys even though I like them, so just about all of their albums qualify.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Albums you like that everyone else hates. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.