Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:03:20 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Quo Vadis (2001) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quo Vadis (2001)  (Read 4842 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: May 14, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »

I didn't know where to put this. It didn't really seem appropriate for television because it's a mini series and is really more like a foreign "good movie" type film. I hope placing it here doesn't offend anyones sectional beliefs too much  

This is a six part, nearly four hour long Polish tv miniseries. I had seen a movie called “Night Train” (1959!) by the director and had queued this not even realizing it was a miniseries. It snuck down the line one day and I almost put it back into the envelope unwatched. I 'm  glad I didn’t because it was amazing. I had no idea what it was, the cover looked like some greek drama or swords and sandals business which I guess it kind of is but not really.

Nero

Vinicius, who looks like a cross between UFC veteran Rich Franklin and Hal Sparks, is a high in the food chain Roman guy. He and his Uncle/ mentor Petronius (the real star here. excellent actor) are part of the eccentric Emporer Nero’s inner circle. The parallels betwen then and today with all the yes men and political theatre are obvious. At one point when they are confronted with an angry mob, Nero implores Petronius to to "offer them no end in promises!” which he does with some flair. Everyone will get bread and olives and jobs and on and on.

The oil in the ointment of all this is Lygia, a Christian slave who Vinicius falls hard for. She looks like Denise Richards circa Wild Things. (The actress is beautiful. performance: nothing special) This sets the plot in motion: Christianity is growing rapidly while the Roman empire is riding high but slowly falling apart. Nero is totally out to lunch. He’s not insane like Caligula but all he cares about are his terrible poems and his own personal pursuits. The central event of the movie is the great Roman fire and the Nero's subsequent attempt to pin it on the still marginalized Christians.

Lygia

Vinicius

The dialogue and direction are superb and not overly reverential (no pun intended) or dry/ boring at all. I assume there isn’t a gigantic budget but it looks great, especially the costumes. While it is a movie about Christianity it isn’t a Christian movie. There is quite a bit of “Passion of the Christ” type violence (though it predates that film) and even some ”Roman decadence” nudity! All right Polish tv! There are some angry comments regarding this on netflix. On the one hand, lighten up, on the other hand if one were expecting a Catholic television type production certain scenes are pretty over the top.

The story is Polish in origin and they do their fellow countryman whoever it was more than justice. When the Apostle Peter speaks it feels like you are seeing the actual Apostle Peter. If you’ve ever seen “Sign of the Cross” (1932) it’s pretty much the same story. In the begining it felt a little cut and dry and even a little condensed but as it went on and I got into it these sorts of issues faded.

5/5

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:26:57 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »

I love the first version.Mebbe I'll give it a look...I am not entirly against remakes....point being thr THING. I thought it was much better than the original-(which is great! Dont get me wrong!)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:31:30 PM »

I haven't seen the first one but it's referenced in the reviews alot. I think it's interesting that this Polish and the story, which is from 1895, is also Polish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quo_Vadis_(novel)

Sienkiewicz studied the Roman Empire extensively prior to writing the novel, with the aim of getting historical details correct. As such, several historical figures appear in the book. As a whole, the novel carries an outspoken pro-Christian message.

Published in installments in three Polish dailies in 1895, it came out in book form in 1896 and has since been translated into more than 50 languages.

Small | Large

see at 3:33
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:45:44 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Quo Vadis (2001) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.