Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:45:25 AM
713338 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Woman in Black (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Woman in Black (2012)  (Read 1718 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: February 04, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »

Just got back from seeing this movie and I got to say, I had a great time.  It’s been awhile since I’ve a horror film this good.  The last time was… Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark.  Okay, maybe not that long, but still.

Our story is about Arthur Kipps, a young lawyer from London who comes to this small village to handle the estate of a recently deceased woman who owned this old mansion on an island.  While there, he has a run in with a dangerous specter known as the “woman in black” who starts haunting him and plaguing the village with a curse.  There’s more to it, but as always, I’ll keep quiet so you can find out for yourself.

Let’s start from the top with the good.  I like the acting in the film.  Daniel Radcliffe is good, but I especially thought Ciarán Hinds and Janet McTeer were pretty solid.  All the technical aspects with the set design, costumes, and the lighting were great.   The atmosphere was really good, reminded me a lot of Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark.  There were solid scary moments, with some actual good jump scares and great buildup that just twisted my stomach constantly.  The ending was a bit sad, but I sort of liked it.

Sadly, there are of course problems with this movie.  The soundtrack seemed to be in love with jump scares.  It just exploded whenever there was one where a big piano boom or a high violin screech.  Hell, even when there wasn’t a jump scare and an occasionally spooky spot off to the side, it would act up.  Ruin a couple of good scares because of it.  For example, if you saw the trailer, you see Arthur looking out the window and the woman suddenly appears from behind.  In the movie, the soundtrack had a major freak out and just went nuts with its orchestra.  In contrast, there was wonderfully scary scene where it starts off slow where something far in the back moves slightly.  Then it builds up from that the camera approaches Albert from behind and music slowly builds it up.  A shadow moves over his body and the music is at its highest.  He turns around and there is nothing with the soundtrack immediately dying out.  He turns around and sees the picture in front of him with the faces scratched out.  Just great!

Also, the movie had a lot of clichés in it.  The outsider shunned by the people of a tight nit community.  The screaming ghost.  The creepy dolls and kids.  A dead love one that the main character can’t seem to get over that much.  The character is struggling in his job and has to do a job that sends to a scary place in order not to fail.  This didn’t really bother me that much, but I want to note it because it will probably bother some people.

I had a great and wonderful time with this film.  It was great way to start off this year for me for seeing films in the theaters.  Again, like Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark, it’s nice to see a scary movie that doesn’t rely on gore, intense violence, serial killers, zombies, or such.  However, while I recommend this film, I think it may better for you to see it at your home.  I saw it with one of the most annoying and frustrating crowds I have ever experience.  They were laughing during intense and frightening scenes.  It was preventing me from really getting into the film like I wanted to.

I give it a 4 out of 5.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pacman000
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »

I saw this movie; it is good.  Yes, there were some cliches (I was expecting the Woman to blow out the candles the entire movie), but they were all well done.  New rule: If you leave the cinema trembling, the horror movie you saw was good.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »

New rule: If you leave the cinema trembling, the horror movie you saw was good.

I totally agree.  Glad someone around here saw this film.  I thought more people here would see it.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 03:28:09 PM »

The most disturbing scene IIRC was actually the opening scene

...thus, kinda disappointing
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Woman in Black (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.