Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:03:46 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Dr. Strangelove appreciation « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dr. Strangelove appreciation  (Read 6471 times)
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« on: May 01, 2011, 11:49:23 AM »

Small | Large
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:40:49 PM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:03:26 PM »

so I guess I'm the only one who likes this  Bluesad

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 06:37:40 PM »

No, it's one of my favorite movies!

I just assumed this was an appreciation thread for the recently banned poster "Dr. Strangelove".  Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:08:53 PM »

Small | Large

Small | Large
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:10:58 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 04:44:48 AM »

I just assumed this was an appreciation thread for the recently banned poster "Dr. Strangelove".  Wink

I must have missed that...why did he get banned?

As for the film-it IS my favorite Kubrick movie.

And as good as Peter Sellers is-Sterling Hayden as Gen.Jack Ripper is my favorite charecter in the film. His paranoia that the communists arecontaiminating our "precious bodily fluids" with chlorinated water kills me!  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »

I must have missed that...why did he get banned?

Don't quote me but I think it was the stuff he said in one of the Bin Laden being killed thread.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:45:31 AM »

Don't misunderstand me, I adore Peter Sellers in this film. However, Sterling Hayden and George C. Scott were superb, and they're performances are what I remember best about this film.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 01:40:59 PM »

I agree, Hayden and Scott were fantastic. I suppose you could have guessed my opinion from the clips I posted above.

---------------------
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 01:45:40 PM »

I agree, Hayden and Scott were fantastic. I suppose you could have guessed my opinion from the clips I posted above.

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

Also, I am slightly biased, because George C. Scott is a distant cousin.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 02:18:07 PM »

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

Really? How distant?

I don't have any famous relatives, only obscure historical figures.

---------------------
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

Really? How distant?

Oh, it's pretty distant. I discovered it when doing genealogy research. I saw that there the last name Scott was on my father's side, and when I looked into it further, I discovered that we share a grandmother from about 4-5 generations back. I just thought it was cool because I've always loved George C. Scott, and it turns out we're related.

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 04:08:20 PM »

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

Really? How distant?

Oh, it's pretty distant. I discovered it when doing genealogy research. I saw that there the last name Scott was on my father's side, and when I looked into it further, I discovered that we share a grandmother from about 4-5 generations back. I just thought it was cool because I've always loved George C. Scott, and it turns out we're related.

That's pretty cool.  Thumbup

Hammock Rider

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 04:18:38 PM »

Well, I, uh, don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.

Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

Sir, you can't let him in here. He'll see everything. He'll see the big board!

Plus with all the Precious Bodily Fluid and Mein Führer stuff, this movie is infinitely and  eminently quotable. My friends and I still quote or paraphrase from it years after first seeing it.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 04:28:09 PM »

Oh, we could go all day.

President Merkin Muffley on the phone to Russian Premier:

"Well now, what happened is... ahm... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head... you know... just a little... funny. And, ah... he went and did a silly thing...

Well, I'll tell you what he did. He ordered his planes... to attack your country...

Ah... Well, let me finish, Dmitri... Let me finish, Dmitri...

Well listen, how do you think I feel about it?... Can you imagine how I feel about it, Dmitri?... Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?...

Of course I like to speak to you!... Of course I like to say hello!... Not now, but anytime, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened...

It's a friendly call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it"

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »

Oh, we could go all day.

President Merkin Muffley on the phone to Russian Premier:

"Well now, what happened is... ahm... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head... you know... just a little... funny. And, ah... he went and did a silly thing...

Well, I'll tell you what he did. He ordered his planes... to attack your country...

Ah... Well, let me finish, Dmitri... Let me finish, Dmitri...

Well listen, how do you think I feel about it?... Can you imagine how I feel about it, Dmitri?... Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?...

Of course I like to speak to you!... Of course I like to say hello!... Not now, but anytime, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened...

It's a friendly call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it"

That's probably my favorite bit of writing/performing in the movie.  So much funnier when you only hear one side of the conversation.

Also... "Animals will be bred... und SLAUGHTERED..."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Dr. Strangelove appreciation « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.