Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:46:23 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Doctor Who - The Best Doctor « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Doctor Who - The Best Doctor  (Read 25109 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »

I was lucky that back in the 80s, one of the TV stations I got used to show Doctor Who every week in lieu of a cheap Sunday afternoon movie. They'd just run a whole serial in an afternoon, one episode after the next. And they did them in order, starting at the beginning. I got to see quite a lot of Hartnell and Troughton. I also got much more familiar with Pertwee, since I hadn't seen as much of him.

It was great. A couple of hours of classic Doctor Who on Sunday, daily Tom Baker episodes every weeknight after dinner on a public station, and the new weekly episode (Davison, Colin Baker, McCoy) that was currently airing in Canada. I always liked the Doctor, but I got to be quite a fan during those teenage years.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:50:47 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
66Crush
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »

When I was 12 my local PBS station literally bombarded the airwaves with Doctor Who. Tom Baker episodes every day at 5. Jon Pertwee every night at 11. A complete Baker serial on Saturday afternoon at 2. And the new Peter Davidson episodes at 7 on Sunday night. Being my favorite show, I loved it of course. This only lasted for a few months. By 1989 they had cut back to just one serial on Saturday and in 1990 stopped airing them altogether. I had to suffer with four or five VHS releases untill I got a DVD player in 2001. Now Amazon.com get's about 50% of my yearly imcome!
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 08:09:46 AM »

1)Tom Baker
2)Patrick Troughton
3)Christopher Eccleston
4)Jon Pertwee
5)Colin Baker
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »

This is coming from someone who has only see the episodes of Doctors 4 through 8 with one episode from Doctor 9, but with the celebration of the show's 50th anniversary, I have been reading a lot on the Doctor: fiction, non-fiction, graphic, etc., and within the confines of the character I think that each of the actors brought something unique to the Doctor. And now with Peter Capaldi playing the 12th Doctor, if you want to be specific, the Doctor can regenerate only one more time, as he is restricted to 12 regenerates--supposedly; therefore, as has been suggested in the past, I'd like to see an actress as the Doctor's final regenerate. Thus we'd have 12 Jokers and a Queen.
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 06:34:54 PM »

This is coming from someone who has only see the episodes of Doctors 4 through 8 with one episode from Doctor 9, but with the celebration of the show's 50th anniversary, I have been reading a lot on the Doctor: fiction, non-fiction, graphic, etc., and within the confines of the character I think that each of the actors brought something unique to the Doctor. And now with Peter Capaldi playing the 12th Doctor, if you want to be specific, the Doctor can regenerate only one more time, as he is restricted to 12 regenerates--supposedly; therefore, as has been suggested in the past, I'd like to see an actress as the Doctor's final regenerate. Thus we'd have 12 Jokers and a Queen.

The Matt Smith Doctor WAS his 12th regeneration if you followed the show's history..Capaldi's Doctor is the first in a whole new regeneration cycle as seen in the most recent story, TIME OF THE DOCTOR. The Time Lords renewed his life cycle for saving Gallifrey in DAY OF THE DOCTOR. It's because they dont count the War Doctor(John Hurt) incarnation as THE DOCTOR, that Smith was labeled the Eleventh. The Doctor, from Capaldi onwards is good for at least another dozen incarnations now.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »

The Matt Smith Doctor WAS his 12th regeneration if you followed the show's history..Capaldi's Doctor is the first in a whole new regeneration cycle as seen in the most recent story, TIME OF THE DOCTOR. The Time Lords renewed his life cycle for saving Gallifrey in DAY OF THE DOCTOR. It's because they dont count the War Doctor(John Hurt) incarnation as THE DOCTOR, that Smith was labeled the Eleventh. The Doctor, from Capaldi onwards is good for at least another dozen incarnations now.

That's interesting, Ticonderoga 64. Thank your for posting that piece of information, but not every fan of the show believes that Capaldi starts a new regeneration cycle. Believing instead that Capaldi is just one more regeneration in the old regeneration cycle, and anything else is just cheating on the part of the show's TV producers. But we shatll see, what we will see, how long the show lasts: new regeneration cycle or not. As who believed back when the show started in 1963, that the show would last as long as it has. Thank you again for your post.
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »

That's interesting, Ticonderoga 64. Thank your for posting that piece of information, but not every fan of the show believes that Capaldi starts a new regeneration cycle. Believing instead that Capaldi is just one more regeneration in the old regeneration cycle, and anything else is just cheating on the part of the show's TV producers. But we shatll see, what we will see, how long the show lasts: new regeneration cycle or not. As who believed back when the show started in 1963, that the show would last as long as it has. Thank you again for your post.

You're welcome! TeddyR While I realize that every fan may not believe that there is a new regeneration cycle, according to the show's current mythos(and production team), that is just what occurred at the climax of TIME OF THE DOCTOR and the Doctor says as much. I wouldnt say it is cheating as there was a precedence for it as shown with the Master in THE FIVE DOCTORS and UTOPIA where we saw the Time Lords offer the Master just such an option for his aid in the events in FIVE DOCTORS and later on in UTOPIA where we discover that he WAS given a new life cycle to fight for them in the Time War. If this could be done for him, why not the Doctor?
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »

Hartnell: First saw his episodes in the late 1980s after our local PBS station finally ran all the others then available. In a way it's hard to criticize Hartnell because as the first Doctor he really was, I suppose, THEE Doctor as the part was conceived to be, but having come to him after seeing Doctors 3,4,5,6, I found him....somewhat unlikable? All in all I've rate him a C, and his episodes a B+.

Troughton: Saw him after the Hartnell episodes ran. As has been pointed out, so much of his work is presumably lost today. I liked Troughton better than Hartnell and really liked some of the companions but of all the Doctors, his antics slipped from good weird into bad weird a few too many times. I'd give him a C, his episodes a B+.

Pertwee: He grew on me. His flash and debonair style were uniquely his own and he put a stamp on the role no one else has quite picked up. I liked the Master, introduced in his tenure, and all the gadgets and Venuvian Karate were fun, but I got my fill of UNIT and this Doctor's earthbound status which kept him tied down from exploring the universe as much as the first two Doctors did. (Something this era has in common with the more earth-oriented modern series.) I'll give him a B+, and his episodes a C+.

Tom Baker: Probably the most iconic Doctor as well as the one who played the role the longest. He arguably had more great episodes than any other Doctor (not one bad moment in The Key To Time season) really defined the part and cast a shadow that is still there now. I'd say he deserves an A+ for his role, and his episodes get an A+ also.

Davison: Overall the most likable Doctor, the most boyish (though Matt Smith was younger) and the last Doctor, I believe, to do a strictly historical episode (Black Orchid) so common in the series' early days. He had great companions, some truly enjoyable storylines, and was the last of the old guard before the rocky times that followed for the next two Doctors, especially poor Colin Baker. Davison gets an A+ as the Doctor and his episodes get an A.

Colin Baker: Personally I have always liked the guy and think he held up the show during a rough point in its history. His interaction with Peri was as good as any Doctor/companion relationship that came before or after, and a few of the episodes during his run were brilliant. I think sometimes Baker gets slapped for criticisms that should more fairly be aimed at John Nathan-Turner who set Baker’s Doctor up to be the onscreen jerk he could sometimes seem to be. Baker as the Doctor: B+, his episodes: B+.

McCoy: McCoy really tried and like Baker was dealt a bad hand. I never warmed to him but do think he had some good stories during his brief run. If you take the time to figure out what is actually going on in Ghostlight, it's a complex tale worthy of any era of Doctor Who, but it's easy to miss what it's all about. McCoy also insisted that there be no violence done by his Doctor, which....hamstrung the plots a few times. McCoy as the Doctor: C+. His episodes: B-.

McGann: I hated his movie and never considered it canon until I found out how much work McGann did during Doctor Who's wilderness years, turning out great radio serials and playing the role in an animated graphic novel that finally finished Shada after twenty years. I actually came to think McGann was a worthy addition to Doctor Who and rather liked him. McGann as the eighth Doctor: B+. His episodes B.

Eccleston: While he grew on me “a bit” Eccleston never felt like Doctor Who and I think back on his tenure as a dress rehearsal that worked the kinks out of the series re-boot. He had a couple of good moments and some of the episodes of his season rank among the classics, but… I’ll give him a C- and his episodes a B.

Tennant: I never thought I’d come to like a Doctor in the revival era better than those of the classic Who (and I’d take the classic episodes over the 21st century ones hands down) but Tennant achieved the impossible and became my favorite Doctor. Maybe five or so  episodes he was in are among the best ever in the series and I hated to see him go. An A+ to him and an A to his era.

Smith: The youngest Doctor, and in his own way the most energetically odd. It took a season to get used to him after Tennant left but I like Matt Smith and wish he’d stayed one more season as I don’t think we’d tapped him out just yet. Smith gave us arguably the best relationship with his traveling companions EVER in the entire canon of Doctor Who, and a few of the story arcs of his years worked brilliantly. I’ll miss him! Smith’s Doctor: A-, the episodes of his era B.

(Sorry, slow morning at work and I had a half-hour to kill!)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 09:10:03 AM »

People have noted Romana's serial regenerations in The Key To Time, when she walked in and out of her dressing room appearing in many different bodies before settling on one as proof that there isn't a limit on the number of regenerations or else why would she throw away so many of her lives on "dressing up." Also the fact we've now had it revealed to us that there have been several other Doctors beyond the ones we have known (Hurt's Doctor, Cushing's Doctor, plus the Valeyard and who knows who else) seems to point to the cap on the number of potential regenerations being hooey. Maybe the whole thing was an urban legend the Doctor mistakenly believed in, maybe scientists have cured the limitations since the first Doctor's time, maybe there's more to it than we think. I can't see a successful show coming to a halt just because of some obscure rule in its own mythology. The beauty of sci-fi is there's always a loophole!

Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 11:05:07 AM »

People have noted Romana's serial regenerations in The Key To Time, when she walked in and out of her dressing room appearing in many different bodies before settling on one as proof that there isn't a limit on the number of regenerations or else why would she throw away so many of her lives on "dressing up." Also the fact we've now had it revealed to us that there have been several other Doctors beyond the ones we have known (Hurt's Doctor, Cushing's Doctor, plus the Valeyard and who knows who else) seems to point to the cap on the number of potential regenerations being hooey. Maybe the whole thing was an urban legend the Doctor mistakenly believed in, maybe scientists have cured the limitations since the first Doctor's time, maybe there's more to it than we think. I can't see a successful show coming to a halt just because of some obscure rule in its own mythology. The beauty of sci-fi is there's always a loophole!

Romana's "choices" in DESTINY OF THE DALEKS were not actual regenerations but temporary forms while she was regenerating until she found a suitable incarnation. As for the Valyard, he is not an actual regeneration of the Doctor, but an amalgamation of the Doctor's darker side from somewhere near the Doctor's FINAL incarnation as the story stated at the time. It's why he wanted the Doctor's remaining regenerations in TRIAL OF A TIME LORD, he had none of his own. The Cushing Doctor doesnt even count as belonging to the show's incarnations. His two stories in the cinema were remakes of THE DALEKS and THE DALEK INVASION OF EARTH. Hurt's Doctor was right in line with the 12 incarnations theme if you know the history so the concept of limited regenerations is far from hooey as you refer to it.  The Doctor himself admits that the Tennant Doctor wasted a regeneration by using it to heal himself rather than change as shown in JOURNEY'S END. Because of this, the Smith Doctor found himself as the final incarnation of his natural life until the Time Lords stepped in. Far from being an obscure "urban legend", the theme of limited regenerations was started back in the '70's and has continued by being continually referenced throughout the show's history since that time. No one has said anything about ending the show due to this, and as I previously stated, the current production team gave the Doctor a whole new life cycle as of the most recent tale, TIME OF THE DOCTOR. It has been established in the past that the Time Lords have the ability to grant such a boon to members of their race when they deem it necessary, such as in the Master's case. Now it is the Doctor's turn. Simple. No more, no less.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »

You make up some interesting theories. Tell ya what, 64, if they cancel the show because of the twelve regen rule, I'll buy you the complete box set.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »

Impressive post above ER, you really know your Doctor Who. I'd probably rank Hartnell and Troughton higher and I liked Eccleston more but otherwise, I'm pretty much in agreement.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 08:56:09 AM »

You make up some interesting theories. Tell ya what, 64, if they cancel the show because of the twelve regen rule, I'll buy you the complete box set.

Thanks, but I have the available episodes already. As for my theories, well, they arent. They are long established facts that appeared in the show's long history.
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 10:28:48 AM »

The proof is in the viewing history:

Small | Large
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »

Looks good!

Small | Large
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Doctor Who - The Best Doctor « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.