Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:30:33 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Doctor Who - The Best Doctor « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Doctor Who - The Best Doctor  (Read 25095 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 03, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »

I personally like the new guy, Matt Smith the most. He matches the eccentricity level that the last Doctors set a standard for and goes above and beyond. And as much as I hate to make this a point he's the first Doctor I've ever seen so I grew more attached to him. Thought I also liked David Tennant as the Doctor.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »

It's Paul MaGann for me.
I love the audio adventures he did and gave a really strong performance in the TV movie.

My second would be Matt Smith.
He is made of awesome!

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »

I can't pick. I like most of them in their own way.

I think I still have to go with Tom Baker. He really set the standard for eccentric genius.

Matt Smith is doing a great job though. So far, he's nailed the character. His doctor seems to have a wild mix of the best traits of his predecessors. He's kind of a mix of Tennant with a bit of Troughton whimsy thrown in, a touch of Hartnell's grandfatherly kindness and his own youthful geekiness.

About the only Doctors I really didn't care as much for were Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy, but they were OK, and to be fair, the whole show was kind of slipping then. And Hartnell can be a little dull to watch. McGann I only saw in the TV movie, and Eric Roberts stole the show there in a bad/good sort of way.

Of the original Doctors I really liked, I'd probably rank them Tom Baker, Pertwee, Troughton and Davison (or Davison then Troughton). Of the new series, Tennant is still the best, but Smith is still relatively new. Eccleston is a close third, but that might have more to do with him only doing one season when the show was just getting started. He was very good. Don't ask me to rank old and new together, because it's a little too much like apples and oranges for me. The long hiatus has clouded the choice for me, with significantly improved visual effects pulling one way and nostalgia pulling the other.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:33 PM »

Tom Baker, no contest.  Jon Pertwee is a close second.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 11:26:10 PM »

Matt Smith. Granted he is still kinda 'new', but he portrays it perfectly.

Bonus points for Amy Pond.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 06:57:46 AM »

Billie Piper.  Oh wait, she wasn't a doctor.  TeddyR  I'd have to go with Peter Davison.  He was the Doctor when I first started watching the show so he'll always be "my" Doctor.  Tom Baker was great as well.  Both of them seemed very normal compared to the guys today.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »

Baker baby!

Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 03:14:35 PM »

I like them all but out of all of them I'll pick Tom Baker because he was my very first Doctor I watched in the mid 70's. Smile
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »

I'd probably choose Tom Baker as my favourite actor to have played the Doctor just ahead of Patrick Troughton and David Tennant.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 01:25:59 PM »

There's never been a Doctor I haven't liked. You can't make Doctor Who suck.

WHO'S THE MAN!

66Crush
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 11:30:32 PM »

People tend to like the Doctor they saw first. For me it was Tom Baker. He really played the part as if he were were an alien. Laughing in the face of danger, but getting upset over the little things. The show was at it's peak durring Baker's run. The best stories "Talons of Weng Chieng," "Pyramids of Mars," "Genesis of the Daleks," were all in his era. The chemistry he had with Elisabeth Sladen (R.I.P.) was amazing. The second season with Tom and Sarah Jane was the best. I also liked the next season with Leela a lot too. My second favorite Doctor is Jon Pertwee, he was so charismatic. His repeats were in heavy rotation on PBS when I was a kid. So Tom, Jon and Peter Davidson were the Doctors I saw as a kid. The show started to suck in the late 80's but I don't blame it on Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy, they were both good in the role. But the writting really went downhill. David Tennant is the best of the new series doctors.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 01:25:58 AM »

I've liked most versions or most eventually grew on me. My favourite though is Patrick Troughton followed closely by Tom Baker, then William Hartnell and then Christoper Eccleston.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
akiratubo

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:00:50 AM »

There's never been a Doctor I haven't liked. You can't make Doctor Who suck.

Colin Baker and David Tennant gave it their best shots, though.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 08:59:03 AM »

I've liked most versions or most eventually grew on me. My favourite though is Patrick Troughton followed closely by Tom Baker, then William Hartnell and then Christoper Eccleston.

Troughton is underrated, that's for sure. I imagine that's because the Doctor didn't become as internationally known until the Pertwee and Baker years. Could also be that the colour episodes have been more frequently aired. I know a bunch of the Troughton episodes are lost.

Troughton was funny. He really established the character as we know him. The most popular Doctors tend to be the ones who go with that whimsical, irreverent, lovable, eccentric genius model. Of the ones who took a more serious approach to the character, I like Pertwee the best, as a proper English gentleman who can kick butt when he needs to. But even that Doctor had his comical moments.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
66Crush
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 12:14:40 AM »

Sadly so many Troughton episodes were lost. I never saw the first two Doctors untill the 90's on VHS. I always knew just from what little I had seen of Pat in "The Three, Five and Two Doctor's" that he must have been a great Doctor. When I first saw "Tomb of the Cybermen" on VHS, he met my every expectation. The show did have it's dull moments with Hartnell, I just didn't have the patience when I first saw his episodes. But now that I'm older I can appreciate the Hartnell era more. If not for Bill there would have been no Doctor Who, and without Pat, the show would not have continued.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Doctor Who - The Best Doctor « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.