Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:58:09 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What Kind of Acting is Worst for a Film? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Kind of Acting is Worst for a Film?  (Read 3379 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: May 24, 2011, 08:14:51 PM »

Good acting in a bad film or bad acting in a good film?

While good acting is fine and all; it seems like a complete waste on a bad film, out of place with the other acting, or kind of bad if no one else is taking the film seriously and having fun with it.  On the side of the coin; bad acting can be distracting in a good film, take us out of the film, or take away from the quality.

What of those two do you find worst?  It's hard for me to decide.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:08:17 PM »

I know what you mean. some examples would be good. not sure I can think of many though, off hand

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 06:30:34 AM »

Good acting in a completely stupid bad movie is rather out of place, but for your garden variety "we didn't have any money or talent but we still tried our best" type bad movie, I think good acting is a huge plus.  Having characters that I care about in a movie is just about the most important aspect of it to me.

Really lousy acting in a "good" i.e. big budget movie is just a joke.  It takes me right out of the film and starts me contemplating how these sorts of people get jobs, much less maintain high levels of popularity.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 08:10:15 AM »

Hmmm.

Not quite as black-and-white as I thought it would be before I started thinking about it.

If we're talking about a bad movie, one we all like to make fun of, well then good acting is almost a distraction. "Get this guy/girl out of here, he/she is ruining a perfectly bad movie."

Jack brought up a point I was thinking about with low-budget films that are trying to be good, really going for something, good acting can be an asset. There are plenty of low-budget Hammer films that have some good performances in them.

However, in the big scheme of things, bad acting in a "good" movie, that is, one with a budget and high production values, is just plain insulting and inexcusable. I'm not interested in seeing some "face" marketed for reasons other than their ability to turn in a performance or convey a story. So, I would say bad acting in a "good" film is definately worse.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 08:41:15 AM »

Bad movies are funnier when people chew up the scenery. Actually Boondocks Saints was a pretty good cult classic, but Willem Dafoe chewed scenery like it was bubblegum.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5DlpZiMZ0 Small | Large

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »

Bad movies are funnier when people chew up the scenery. Actually Boondocks Saints was a pretty good cult classic, but Willem Dafoe chewed scenery like it was bubblegum.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5DlpZiMZ0 Small | Large

Boondock Saints is an interesting phenomenon. Personally, I think it's an atrociously bad movie and don't care for it much. Bad writing, hokey dialogue (but then again I like Quention Tarantino, who writes volumes of it), cardboard cutout mobsters, and yes, Willem chews some serious scenery. Anyway, I talk to plenty of people who adore Boondock Saints. That's cool. It's not a boring film so I understand the attraction. But, and this is my opinion, of you look at it from a critical standpoint, it's a pretty bad movie. Entertaingly bad to some, no argument there, but ultimately, a bad movie.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 01:28:17 PM »

Good acting in a bad movie is not a bad thing at all. One of the things I really respect about actors like Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing is that they would do their very best in any hunk of cheese you put them in.

In a way, a good performance sticking out like a sore thumb often adds to the fun badness of a movie. Take a movie like Starcrash, where everything is cheap and totally b-grade, but they splurged and hired Christopher Plumber to walk on and say a couple of lines. You can tell he's just there for the paycheque, he was cast for the sole purpose of having an impressive "name" actor as the emperor, and they could only afford to put him on screen for a couple of minutes. To me, that's funny. Having him walk in with a real air of majesty and beautifully deliver a line as dumb as "Imperial starship, halt the flow of time!" is priceless. It just emphasizes how cheesy the movie is.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ChaosTheory

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »

I agree w/Jack, I don't consider a movie to be a complete waste if I can care about at least one character, and the acting usually contributes to that.  Good acting in a bad movie might be jarring but it helps you get through it. One example, the truly awful & tedious George Hamilton flick MEDUSA, has an awesome (if somewhat hammy) performance from Cameron Mitchell. 
Bad acting in a good movie tends to ruin the flow for me. Example: in District 9, the military Steve Austin-looking guy really took me out of the movie whenever he was on screen.  (It didn't help that the character was a major stereotype either.)

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 08:09:41 PM »

Good acting in a bad movie is not a bad thing at all. One of the things I really respect about actors like Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing is that they would do their very best in any hunk of cheese you put them in.

In a way, a good performance sticking out like a sore thumb often adds to the fun badness of a movie. Take a movie like Starcrash, where everything is cheap and totally b-grade, but they splurged and hired Christopher Plumber to walk on and say a couple of lines. You can tell he's just there for the paycheque, he was cast for the sole purpose of having an impressive "name" actor as the emperor, and they could only afford to put him on screen for a couple of minutes. To me, that's funny. Having him walk in with a real air of majesty and beautifully deliver a line as dumb as "Imperial starship, halt the flow of time!" is priceless. It just emphasizes how cheesy the movie is.

I agree.  I think of William Marshall's dignified, almost Shakespearean performance as "Blacula."  Giving a serious performance in an exploitation movie about black vampires makes it all the stranger. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
voltron

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 06:55:44 PM »

For me, good acting can make or break a film. ie: Just Before Dawn - good acting, somwhat routine storyline = GOOD; or A Blade In The Dark - REALLY lame dubbing, good film = GOOD. I have no idea of what I'm trying to say.  Question

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 06:09:27 AM »

Over acting/hammy acting like Travolta in Battlefeild Earth.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
66Crush
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 12:55:53 AM »

While I enjoy the humour in bad acting, good acting is never a out of place. We don't have many good actor's anymore. No personality. TOO REAL. WHO GIVE'S A DAMN ABOUT REALITY IT'S A MOVIE! I miss over the top acting. Go for it! But being a ham doesn't make you a bad actor. There are good actor's who are hams like William Shatner, and there are terrible actors who are hams like David Hasslehoff. Johny Depp is great because he is very low key in real life. But on camera his personality is electric.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What Kind of Acting is Worst for a Film? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.