Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:37:11 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  LITTLE CAESAR (1931) and THE PUBLIC ENEMY (1931) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LITTLE CAESAR (1931) and THE PUBLIC ENEMY (1931)  (Read 1849 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 05, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »

I just bought and watched this two classic gangster flicks from the 1930s.  Both are very entertaining, but I think THE PUBLIC ENEMY is the better of the two films.

LITTLE CAESAR - Edward G. Robinson stars as Rico (aka "Little Caesar"), an ambitious hoodlum who works his way through the ranks of the underworld using intimidation and murder.  A great, old-time talkie with tough, rapid-fire dialogue.  A must-see for gangster movie fans.

Small | Large

THE PUBLIC ENEMY - James Cagney stars as Tom Powers, a streetwise kid who graduates from petty street crimes to bootlegging and eventually murder.  This is the movie with the famous "grapefruit in the face" scene.  It also includes some scenes I thought were a bit "shocking" for its time, including a scene where it is very directly implied that Cagney, while heavily liquored up, has sex with a seductive woman.  This movie co-stars Jean Harlow and Joan Blondell.  The final scene is somewhat chilling and disturbing.

Small | Large

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:30:03 PM »

I just bought and watched this two classic gangster flicks from the 1930s.  Both are very entertaining, but I think THE PUBLIC ENEMY is the better of the two films.

LITTLE CAESAR - Edward G. Robinson stars as Rico (aka "Little Caesar"), an ambitious hoodlum who works his way through the ranks of the underworld using intimidation and murder.  A great, old-time talkie with tough, rapid-fire dialogue.  A must-see for gangster movie fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBLVJW8ULxY 

Two great ones!  Thumbup

THE PUBLIC ENEMY - James Cagney stars as Tom Powers, a streetwise kid who graduates from petty street crimes to bootlegging and eventually murder.  This is the movie with the famous "grapefruit in the face" scene.  It also includes some scenes I thought were a bit "shocking" for its time, including a scene where it is very directly implied that Cagney, while heavily liquored up, has sex with a seductive woman.  This movie co-stars Jean Harlow and Joan Blondell.  The final scene is somewhat chilling and disturbing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2hDKOhS7KM

Hold onto your dreams ....
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »

EDWARD G. ROBINSON is about as good as screen acting gets.  Very few can match him.  Only the very rarest exceed him. 

JAMES CAGNEY is also great. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »

' Is this the end of Rico?"
Classic.
Try SCARFACE with Paul Muni and the ROARING TWENTIES with Cagney and Bogart.
Also ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES with Cagney and Bogey-excellent films all. When I was a kid,channel 13 usta play old gangster movies at 6 in the morning on Saterdays...I would get up early to watch them...with the sound low so I wouldnt wake up my hung over drunk dad.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 10:46:24 PM »

PUBLIC ENEMY is my favorite gangster movie of al time. Cagney is a tuff little basterd. I first saw it when I was 10 years old on uhf channel 13.
The girl he hit in the mush with a grapefruit was Mae Clarke. She was Elizabeth Franklenstien in FRANKNSTEIN (1931).

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »

ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES with Cagney and Bogey

My absolute favorite old-time crime film.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  LITTLE CAESAR (1931) and THE PUBLIC ENEMY (1931) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.