Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:27:50 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  R.I.P. Jackie Cooper « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: R.I.P. Jackie Cooper  (Read 4414 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« on: May 06, 2011, 12:52:09 AM »

Former child star Jackie Cooper dies at 88
May 4, 2011, 5:53 PM EST
By Tim Kenneally
TheWrap

Former child actor Jackie Cooper passed away on Tuesday in a Beverly Hills hospital, his family has announced. He was 88.

Cooper, who was featured in Hal Roach's "Our Gang" series, became the youngest actor to ever be nominated for a Best Actor Academy Award, when he was nominated at the age of 9 for his work in the 1931 film "Skippy."

In later years, Cooper served as a VP of program development for Columbia Pictures' Screen Gems division. He also worked behind the screen as a director, and won two Emmy Awards for directing work on "M*A*S*H*" and "The White Shadow." 

As an actor, Cooper experienced renewed fame as gruff newspaper editor Perry White in the "Superman" film series of the late '70s and early '80s. He announced his retirement in 1989.

Born John Cooper Jr. in Los Angeles in 1922, he was married three times, to June Horne from 1944 to 1949; to Hildy Parks from 1950 to 1951; and to Barbara Kraus from 1954 until her passing in 2009.

In all, Cooper had four children, though he outlived his two daughters, Julie and Cristina. Cooper is survived by sons John and Russell.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:57:56 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:58:32 AM »

Very sad. Most of the original Our Gang are gone now.... Bluesad
RIP

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Raffine

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:00:02 AM »

TCM aired SKIPPY recently and I finally got to see it. I recall thinking how great it was Cooper was still with us.

RIP, Jackie. Give Miss Crabtree a kiss for me.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 09:16:47 AM »

Hate to say it, but I was surprised to hear that he was still alive up to now. That's what happens with older actors who retire, I suppose.
Always liked Jackie Cooper. I'll never forget Officer Kennedy giving him advice on how to get a woman. BounceGiggle

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 10:36:15 AM »

Good night, JACKIE.  We all loved you. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »

R.I.P.  Bluesad

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 01:25:58 AM »

Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 11:24:07 PM »

Hate to say it, but I was surprised to hear that he was still alive up to now. That's what happens with older actors who retire, I suppose.
Always liked Jackie Cooper. I'll never forget Officer Kennedy giving him advice on how to get a woman. BounceGiggle

Yeah!  And he goes over to Maryanne and says "I'm a caveman, and you're my woman!" and she gets up and beats the tar out of Jackie while Kennedy sits there laughing his ass off until he's nearly dead from exhaustion.    lmfao  BounceGiggle

And then there's the infamous "Chubbsie Ubbsie" episode. Every time Chubby tried to tell Ms. Crabtree how much he loved her, Jackie came out from behind the curtain making faces and noises.  I laugh so hard everytime I see that one!

Another one is where Jackie and another kid had a duel over Maryanne. They wore catchers' masks and used garbage can lids as shields and went around the yard beating the hell out of each other with long steel rods that looked like fencing swords.

Good night, Jackie. You were a real American original.  Love ya', dude, and thanks for all the laughs.    Smile

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Raffine

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:20:49 AM »

Another one is where Jackie and another kid had a duel over Maryanne. They wore catchers' masks and used garbage can lids as shields and went around the yard beating the hell out of each other with long steel rods that looked like fencing swords.

I think Jackie's sparring partner in that one was also Chubby Chaney.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 06:16:57 PM »

One of my favorite Our Gang shorts is The Bear Hunters when the gang go safari in the woods trapping a guy in a gorilla suit and put limburger cheese on Wheezer's neck lol. R.I.P. Mr. Cooper.  Bluesad
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 01:21:44 AM »

R.I.P. We've lost another screen legend.  Bluesad

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 01:36:39 AM »

One of my favorite Our Gang shorts is The Bear Hunters when the gang go safari in the woods trapping a guy in a gorilla suit and put limburger cheese on Wheezer's neck lol. R.I.P. Mr. Cooper.  Bluesad

Oh yeah!  "Bear Shooters" was the right title though, I think (could be wrong though.)

If I also remember right, the guy in the gorilla suit was trying to stop the gang from fishing on his private property, thus the suit.

I liked when they got the guy in the trap and kept shooting him with the air rifles and the bow and arrows. Whenever they hit him in the ass with an arrow, he'd go "ooo-HOOOOO!" and that used to make me lmao.  That was one funny episode!

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »

His acting career spanned 61 years. From 1929 to 1990. The youngest actor ever to be nominated for an Oscar for Best Actor for his work in "Skippy."

And his peacetime military career equaled that of his acting career. Co-pilot of U.S. Navy jets, he eventually earned the rank of Captain in the U.S. Naval Reserve, which puts him with Glenn Ford as the only other actor to obtain the rank of Captain and behind only John Ford who was made a honorary rear admiral in the U.S. Naval Reserve and Jimmy Stewart who was a brigadier general in the U.S. Air Force Reserve.

They don't make actors like that anymore. R.I.P. Jackie.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  R.I.P. Jackie Cooper « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.