Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:36:31 PM
714221 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Tin Men (1987) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tin Men (1987)  (Read 1734 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: May 03, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »

I saw this movie in the 80’s when it came out, have seen it a few times since, and I’ve always been a little intrigued by it. However, it was not a very successful film, and I never really hear much about it.

Directed by Barry Levinson, this film fits into his series of nostalgic “Baltimore” films such as Diner, Avalon, and Liberty Heights. The film stars Richard Dreyfus and Danny De Vito as rival aluminum siding salesmen in 1963 Baltimore, locked in an unscrupulous game of revenge over a fender-bender at the beginning of the film.

I really liked this film. It was very well done in it’s period placement. The movie absolutely screams early 60’s. It also portrays the slick and sleazy world of guys to live on their ability to sell, and the lengths to which they’ll go, legal or otherwise, to get the signature. They are that piece of Americana this is for better and for worse, and really, aluminum siding is nearly irrelevant, as the same guys could be pushing cars, vacuum cleaners, or land in Florida. This film just places the sleazy salesman in that time and place when the American dream could be enhanced by the everyman by slapping some panels of aluminum on the side of their house.

The film also portrays brilliantly the lengths to which these archetypes will go to appease their egos and warped senses of morality. Punctuated in all of this are these little moments when such unscrupulous men are able to temporarily suspend their petty games for the sake of doing something good, but only when they’re forced to confront and be honest about their natures, and only for a moment. At one point, Dreyfus’s character sums it up well when he says “I have a lot of training in deceipt. It’s an occupational hazard.”

I sold cars for a year and have a bit of understanding of the characters portrayed in this film. They have a unique understanding of human behavior, and use this understanding in unsavory ways. I thought this film captured that brilliantly. It’s not the greatest film ever, and to those who don’t appreciate slower-paced films, it may not appeal to you. I enjoyed it, however.

4/5

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 08:56:04 AM »

I saw it in the theater during it's original release and really liked it.  I haven't seen it since then, but I do seem to remember the ending was somewhat lame compared to the rest of the movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »

I saw it in the theater during it's original release and really liked it.  I haven't seen it since then, but I do seem to remember the ending was somewhat lame compared to the rest of the movie.

It was fairly uneventful. Nothing big happened. This is true. I didn't find it to be a bad ending, however. I thought the ending did demonstrate that there was kind of an ending to a livelihood that had been very lucrative to these guys and now it was time to move on and find something else. It was also a little bit melancholy, which is what I think didn't work for a lot of people because it was marketed as a comedy and flowed somewhat like a comedy throughout much of it, but I didn't really see it as a comedy, but more of a comedy/drama, and maybe that's why the ending worked better for me.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 03:57:25 PM »

I, too, saw this in '87, when it was first released to theaters.

I must say, it is films like this, that are "forgotten" and/or "unsuccessful," that I find far more interesting to remember, than the films that are "remembered" and/or "successful."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Tin Men (1987) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.