Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:10:55 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The annual gardening thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: The annual gardening thread  (Read 11360 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2011, 07:45:45 PM »

^ Those pea plants are as big as...well.....a pea.   BounceGiggle

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »

Wasn't a very good year otherwise though.  Spinach was terrible, I don't know if slugs were eating it or what.  Lettuce grew great, as always, but now it got too big so I ripped it up and I'll have to plant some more.  Peppers are actually doing well, but as late as I planted them and as long as they take to grow, well...here's hoping   TeddyR

Give the peppers a side dressing of bonemeal and epsom salts.  That will help them.  A small handful of the bonemeal is enough (I've never been able to overdo it), but just a sprinkling of the epsom is plenty.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2011, 08:21:23 PM »

well, bad news from me- I tried to grow Thyme and mint. The Intense heat in the beginning of June almost made them dry as a bone, but with the hernandez monsoons lately, they've been completely drowned. tried moving them out of harms way, but Mother Nature is one cruel mistress and it was too late.  Hatred

yeah no.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2011, 08:23:01 PM »

It was too wet too long this spring so we did not get the garden in.  Bluesad   Then the cherries did not amount to much (weather again) and we ate all the strawberries and raspberries...so today I 'put up' the first of our season's fruit: made red currant jelly and I am pretty pleased with the results.  Might experiment with a gooseberry pie tomorrow if there are enough left to make one.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2011, 08:25:48 PM »

Side note, I've had one of the best blueberry crops ever this year.  I'm picking about a half quart a day. 

DarkSider's Realm

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 10:43:19 PM »

I don't have the garden I wish I had - too many oak trees!  But, I do have one thriving tomato plant in a pot that has lots of fruit on it... and I cut up our first tomato today and made salsa... it was great!!!  Smile

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »

^ Those pea plants are as big as...well.....a pea.   BounceGiggle

I picked the peas today - all sixteen of them   TeddyR

Thanks for the advice about the peppers Andrew, I'll have to give that a try.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »

This year was really bad for my squash, zucchini, and beans.  Also terrible were the beets (rabbits got them, and rabbits love beet greens) and my spinach.  The peppers, cucumbers, and lettuce have been so-so.  The tomatoes are going crazy, though all the rain this last week has been causing them to split like crazy.  The little "Sweet Gold" variety is very good when you get them before they split, but they do have a thick skin.

Poor Andy's blueberries didn't do too well. Only a few berries and the birds got them.  I think it's the clay soil we have here.

Garrett's strawberry patch was amazing.  We picked quarts and quarts from it.  Also, cilantro grows so crazy I could swear it's a weed.

I'm going to put in raised beds for next year.  Started already by building two 8'x3' raised beds where I took out the squash and zucchini.  I'm going to try for a late crop of beets, lettuce, and carrots in the beds.  I made them 12" tall, which I'm hoping will keep the rabbits out of them.

I also built a raised bed for Andy's blueberries.  Looked up information on blueberries:  they like sandy, well-drained soil with quite a low PH (acidic).  Filled the new bed with a mixture of peat, sand, organic garden soil, and pine bark.  That should have the desired attributes.  If not I can use some soil addendum to lower the PH more.  Already moved the blueberries to the new bed, and we'll see how they go.  I'm hoping transplanting them now will let them get over the shock in time to produce next year.

Also built 4 holders for PVC pipes into the blueberry bed.  I'm planning on using thin and flexible PVC as a frame with netting to keep the birds off the blueberries.

Moved 2 cubic yards of topsoil today from my truck to the raised beds (I can't drive to them because of the drain field).  That's 2 tons of soil about 30-40 yards each way.  I'm tired and actually have a blister on my left pinky.  My callouses must be getting soft with my old age.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »

^ Squash crops stunk this year, I think its because it became way too hot too quick.  I'm lucky if I've gotten a dozen this year off the 6 or so plants I have.  Same thing with cukes although they faired slightly better.

Tomatoes out here are the winners for most productive so far.  They just started to turn over the past week.  I picked several dozen large cherry toms a few days ago.  This weekend we are planning a harvest-fest.  I'll hopefully have pics by then.

Peppers have been VERY "meh".  Onions are filling out slowly.  Hopefully by September they'll be the size I'd like to harvest.

Beans did ok out here.  They are still popping. 

The blueberry bushes at my house were amazing this year.  I had a qt every other day for several weeks.  Sadly they have died down just over the past few days.

DarkSider's Realm

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2011, 07:15:25 AM »

Finally picked a big bunch of beans yesterday, they were delicious  Thumbup  I'm sure we'll have many more where those came from.  Tomatoes are doing really well, except for one plant on the end, which happens to be the biggest and best producing one.  The tomatoes are half eaten by some sort of bugs as soon as they start to ripen.  I mixed a bit of dishsoap with water and put it in an old Windex bottle and sprayed the hell out of it.  I read on the internet that makes a good bug killer or repellent.  If that doesn't do the trick we got some stuff from the store that's supposed to be safe for spraying on vegetables.

Picked an eggplant yesterday, it was about 6" long.  Those darned things have pickers on them   TeddyR  My peppers are still growing well, but not even close to having any flowers, much less actual peppers.  We were over at my Aunt and Uncles house a couple weeks ago and they've got bell peppers about 6" across!  They gave us one of those - and some cucumbers of course   BounceGiggle  My wife's been printing out recipes from the 'net and trying them all sorts of different ways.

- Paulo Coelho
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2011, 02:58:10 PM »

I don't do veggies, but I love my flowers!  I have some established perennials like Astilbe, Bleeding Hearts, Chives, and daylilies in my front garden bed which started the Spring season, but I also grew a lot of stuff from seed this year, mostly annuals to add color and extend the growing season. I have:

annual zinnias in different colors (some almost 4 feet high) I have been cutting them and making bouquets for the house.
annual red saliva
perennial shasta daisies which I sowed last spring and they bloomed this year  TeddyR 
annual morning glory and moonflower vines which are trailing up my deck railings. I  started them late, so I don't know if they will bloom before frost (mid October at earliest) If they do, they are supposed to be self seeders.
annual white allysum which smells really sweet, another possible self seeder.
calendula (also known as pot marigolds) have flower buds now. Also potential self seeders
annual tall flowering balsam in mixed colors - just starting to bloom now. Supposed to be self seeding.
annual California poppies - one strong wind and the petals fall off, but they are pretty. Have them in a pot.

I've also started some perennials for next year that are potted up on my back deck:
oriental poppies (sprouts)
asters (sprouts)
purple coneflower - NOTHING YET.  I've started seeds for these other years and I just can't seem to get them to grow  Bluesad

I also plan to plant some daffodils in the ground under a tree in the front yard in October or so. I also plan to pot up some up in the late Fall - 2 pots - one I will leave out all winter and the other I will drag into the garage.  These will be an experiment. 

All in all in has been a good growing season so far.  TeddyR

Hold onto your dreams ....
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2011, 12:46:53 PM »

Post Irene harvest...yep thats a laundry basket too...

DarkSider's Realm

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 04:58:27 PM »

Post Irene harvest...yep thats a laundry basket too...

Those are some great looking cherry tomatoes!   Thumbup

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 09:46:03 PM »

^ TY, I have to admit the large cherry crop this year was a bumper.  The plants today kind looked like crap.  However, the celebs are starting to turn currently.  I made my first batch of salsa.

Side note, okra ended up being odd but strangely addicting.  The texture is oddly slimy but not bad when you get past the first two bites.  It has a bit of a underlying sweetness and goes great with onions. 

DarkSider's Realm

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 06:33:11 AM »

Our tomatoes are right at the peak of their production now.  Nothing like a laundry basket full of cherries LOL, but way more than the family can eat.  Spraying our big plant with the water/dish soap solution seems to have gotten rid of the bugs, but those things still split open on the top when they get big.  

Gotta pick beans too - they're loaded.  We got one eggplant, sort of tasted like alfalfa to me   BounceGiggle  Oh well, my wife likes that stuff.  There are about 6 more eggplants, one or two almost big enough to pick.  Pepper plants are tall and healthy, a couple of them even have some flowers on them.  Now if the weather just stays nice for a couple more months, we should be good to go.  

EDIT:  Did some picking today   

Mr. Fluffies is doing his usual quality inspection.  TeddyR
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 12:16:04 PM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The annual gardening thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.