Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:04:29 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Mole People (1956) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Mole People (1956)  (Read 1965 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 09, 2011, 10:37:41 AM »

Five archeologists, led by John Agar, mount an expedition to a mountain in Iraq ... I guess, the subtitles identify the location only as "Asia".  Two of them are killed in freak accidents when they discover a cave system, the other three are trapped underground.  These three discover an ancient Sumerian city built in the vast network of caverns.  Once they enter the city, they find it inhabited by two races: human albinos and monsters.  Whether the title refers to the albinos or the monsters is anyone's guess.  The albinos have enslaved the monsters and use them to harvest the mushrooms that are the only source of food in the subterranean world they inhabit.  The archeologists decide that won't do and foment a rebellion among the monsters -- Actually, no, that's not what happens.  The archeologists don't do ANYTHING, except wander around and look at stuff.  What actually happens is that a human slave - who is a "marked one" because she had the audacity to be born with melanin - falls in love with John Agar.  She is the one who foments the rebellion among the monsters, who slaughter all of the albinos.  After causing the extinction of her own race, she makes it back to the surface with John Agar, where she and presumably even Agar are killed by a huge earthquake/avalanche/vague natural disaster.  The End.

The Mole People would seem to be the work of a dire misanthrope.  The treatment of the characters is vicious.  Three of the five archeologists are gruesomely killed in short order, the remaining two are utter a***oles, the albinos are cruel slave lords and practice human sacrifice, the slave girl betrays her own race for the sake of a guy who's been pretending to be a god and lording it over her people, and literally everyone ends up dead at the end.  The only remotely sympathetic characters are the monsters!  Let's not even go into the scene where three pretty girls are roasted alive, presumably because somebody thought that's what an audience really wanted to see.

I'm not quite sure what I think of The Mole People.  It's quite a morally complex movie.  The albinos are not very nice people, but they only did what they had to do to survive in the bleakest imaginable environment for 5000 years.  On the other hand, I think this complexity made it in by complete accident.  No one seems to have realized that everything the albinos do can be pretty well justified in terms of basic survival.  No one seems to have realized that John Agar set into motion a chain of events that led to the destruction of a 5000 year old civilization.  No one seems to have realized that the slave girl is a betrayer of the highest order.  No, we're just supposed to be thinking, "Serves those albinos right for being mean!" 

... except for that ending.  After John Agar's character brushed off the immense moral weight of the climax, he, the other archeologist, and the slave girl made it back to the surface - where they all died in that earthquake/avalanche/vague natural disaster.  I can only imagine that the director, or someone, realized what a bunch of pricks his characters were and decided that no, oh hell no, no way were they getting a happy ending.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »

This has always been regarded as being one of the worst films ever made, and it may be, but when I saw it on television, I rather liked it. Maybe because the cast--John Agar, Hugh Beaumont, Alan Napier, Nestor Pavia, and Frank Baxter--was not your normal cast for your "bad" movie.

Probably the oddest name there is Frank Baxter, whose films--"Our Mr. Sun," "Hemo the Magnificent," etc. were played constantly in science class, when I was in school in the '60's. And I always found them enjoyable.
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »

Actually only Adal/Adad (her name is given one way in the film, and another in the credits) is killed in the earthquake.  Fun Fact: She was originally slated to survive and live happily ever after with John Agar, but the producers demanded a reshot ending, due to the implication of an interracial relationship!

My detailed thoughts on the film can be read here: http://www.bthroughz.com/2010/oct/mole.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:38:08 PM by Saucerman » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 05:45:49 PM »

It was good enough to garner a Don Post mask in the 60's!

Personally-I like most anything with John Agar. And the monsters were cool.  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »

Anything with Hugh Beaumont is worth watching multiple times.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »

This has always been regarded as being one of the worst films ever made, and it may be, but when I saw it on television, I rather liked it. Maybe because the cast--John Agar, Hugh Beaumont, Alan Napier, Nestor Pavia, and Frank Baxter--was not your normal cast for your "bad" movie.

Probably the oddest name there is Frank Baxter, whose films--"Our Mr. Sun," "Hemo the Magnificent," etc. were played constantly in science class, when I was in school in the '60's. And I always found them enjoyable.

Good point about the casting: You had Ward Cleaver, Alfred The Butler, and Major Jay all in one movie  TongueOut 

Somewhere on my shelf is an old Horizon model of one of The Mole People. I gotit back in the 90's when Horizon was making these somewhat decent quality lower price kits to most likely counter the influence of Screamin' kits,which were WAY too expensive (imho anyway.)

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Mike From BBandBCs
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »

Classic 50's garbage that I haven't seen in forever.

http://badassesboobsandbodycounts.com/ - Badasses, Boobs and Body Counts
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Mole People (1956) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.