Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:16:19 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Has anyone ever... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has anyone ever...  (Read 1663 times)
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 10, 2011, 12:28:09 PM »

Just said "fuggit" and done an extreme life change?
Allow me to explain... I am violently sick of my job and just sort of want to stop doing it and do something else.  Of course having a  normal load of obligations and small children means I can't just stop working.  I'm working to pass the bar exam for a new career, but thats slow going.  Does one keep plugging away in hopes of a change later, or just change now then do it again?  Maybe this is encroaching 40-ness, but I'm out at sea here.  Sorry, sort of venting here, but input is welcome.
Confus-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:33:27 PM »

I would do an extreme life change in an instant.  My major problem is I would need to take a huge pay cut to switch careers and I wouldn't be able to afford my mortgage and other bills.  I've made myself a prisoner in my own life.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:40:42 PM »

I would do an extreme life change in an instant.  My major problem is I would need to take a huge pay cut to switch careers and I wouldn't be able to afford my mortgage and other bills.  I've made myself a prisoner in my own life.

Same here... though maybe not QUITE a prisoner.  However I can't lose too much pay before things get tough.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:54:40 PM »

I was a recluse for nearly two years. One day I just got up, got on a train to another town, met a girl and haven't looked back since. I've had plenty of negative "fuggit" moments in between, one where I quit a job, shaved my head and left my girlfriend, but then ended up on the streets for 6 months. After that, I clawed my way back up "the ladder" only quit another job, realised I wasn't being true to myself and grew my hair back again, only to turn into a listless psychopath.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »

About 12 or so years ago I got a job offer to work for Channel 2, the Boston PBS TV affiliate.  Part of my job would have been helping to coordinate various shows.  I would have done things like scheduling voiceover artists and studio time, making sure we had the correct union contracts and the proper insurance, etc.  Unfortunately, it would have been about a 50% pay cut (partially because it was a non-profit TV station).  Reluctantly, I had to pass up the job.  This has always bothered me.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 01:15:19 PM »

Yeah I know the feeling... I drive over an hour each way because I just can't make the same money closer to home.
-Ed

claws
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 02:04:57 PM »

I quit my job of 12 years two years ago because it was making me sick. One day I actually said "fuggit", signed a notice to quit and that was it.
It took me 1 1/2 years to recover and to get it all out of my system but I'm back to my old health and feeling better than I ever did.
I regret wasting 12 years of my life, should have quit much sooner. Would've spared me lots of pain and suffering.
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »

Looking back I tend to do this periodically in my life.

After graduating high school I sort of shocked my friends by not going to the Univerisity most of them were attending. It was ugly and flat and looked like a factory! Instead I found a school clear across the state with great old buildings (chock full o' ghosts!), huge oak trees, and lots of rolling hills and ponds.

Next, after a few years I said 'Fuggit' to teaching and living in Montgomery, AL. I quit my job and moved to Charleston, SC. After a couple of years teaching there I said 'Fuggit', quit my job and moved to the Florida Keys. After a couple of years of basically beach bumming and working in a music shop, I moved to Middle Tennessee to help my sister out with our parents, who were both very ill.

I was in Tennessee about fourteen long years when the wanderlust struck again. I quit my job I'd had all that time, cashed in my retirement, and move to my current home of Savannah, Ga, where I'm loving it. In a few years.. who knows?

It's not the type of life I'd recommend to most. It helps to be unmarried and have no kids. Some folks tell me I've missed out on the best things in life (usually after they finish complaining about their current/ex spouse and how the brats are rotten and driving them crazy TeddyR) but it's a bit like being born without ears. If you never had 'em you don't miss 'em!

One thing I do regret is not keeping up with a lot of folks who were very important to me at different stages of my life. I admit I usually find it depressing when I do contact someone from 'the good old days' because they usually try to make me feel guilty about not being there anymore and then they start complaining about the same old stuff they were complaining about ten years ago!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:34:56 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Has anyone ever... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.