Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:10:43 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The 40 Worst Rob Liefeld Drawings « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The 40 Worst Rob Liefeld Drawings  (Read 9434 times)
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 03:30:58 AM »

On one hand, I absolutely see where Liefeld's haters are coming from, and I absolutely agree with many (not all) of their criticisms regarding plagiarism, corner-cutting, lack of originality, and general anatomy-related insanity (not to mention the obvious fetishization of gunes, muscles, and pouch-belts, as well the equally obvious inability to draw, uh, feet).

ON THE OTHER HAND, I think, while part of the criticisms are valid, being indicative of poor craftsmanship on the part of the artist, many of them aren't simply because it all comes down to a question of taste and style. You could argue that many of Liefeld's art flaws/eccentricities are more the result of his unique "style" than of how "crappy" he is. Sure, physics don't work like that. Anatomy doesn't look like that. Women do not curve and bend like that and "oh, dear god, where the hell is that chick's ribcage? does she even HAVE one?" Nevetheless, it isn't like comic book art has always been the paragon of realism. Look at, well, just about any female superhero. More specifically, look at their busts. Take a look at just about any Jim Balent drawing ever, and you'll find the word "gratuitous" doesn't even begin to describe it.  Furthermore, it isn't like comic book art SHOULD necessarily be the paragon of realism. Some people like realism, some people don't. I, for instance, am not an Alex Ross fan. I love many of the books he's worked on, like Kingdom Come, Uncle Sam, Project Superpowers, and Astro City. And I respect the craftsmanship that goes into what he does, and I can definitely see why people love his stuff. But I don't. I'm much more enamored with artists like Scott Bisley, Mike Mignola, Joe Madureira, Basil Wolverton, Tim Sale, or Dave McKean. Those guys do NOT draw reality. They draw their own stylized, in a way cartoonish, version of it, which is more to my tastes. I've never much cared for artists whose paintings are photo-realistic, because I've always felt like "oh, well, I get that you worked very hard on this, and you're very good at what you do... but why don't I just look at, well, a photo?"

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic, but what I was ultimately saying was that, hey, somebody don't want reality. Realism is NOT actually all that important. Saying that adherence to anatomy and the laws of physics is importance, that's arguably a fallacy, a false point, and an easy fallback point for the criticism of someone whose tastes or style may run contrary to your own.

Well, that's just my two cents.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 03:48:43 AM »

Not to say that 40 worst list isn't still hilarious as heck. It is. Oh, yes. It is.

Eh. Could be worse. Could be Rob Granito.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 04:33:07 AM »

Site's down at the moment.

Liefeld is pretty awful, but he did exemplify a style that was endemic to the '90s.

The sad thing is that he's clearly got the chops to be good, he just takes so many shortcuts and he exaggerates all the wrong things to "look cool." The finished product just looks wrong.

I wouldn't say he is "hated," just mocked mercilessly. Another founder of Image, Todd McFarlane, that guy's hated.

Is Captain America pregnant with a muscle baby?  Holy s**t!
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 08:57:40 PM »

Site's down at the moment.

Liefeld is pretty awful, but he did exemplify a style that was endemic to the '90s.

The sad thing is that he's clearly got the chops to be good, he just takes so many shortcuts and he exaggerates all the wrong things to "look cool." The finished product just looks wrong.

I wouldn't say he is "hated," just mocked mercilessly. Another founder of Image, Todd McFarlane, that guy's hated.

Is Captain America pregnant with a muscle baby?  Holy s**t!

I thought he got breast implants to match his muscles. BounceGiggle

yeah no.
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 11:21:19 AM »

#22 gives me the creeps, I won't lie.  The rest of that list is pretty hilarious though.  Dude has one wonky sense of perspective.  Still, as has been pointed out, comics have always presented distorted realities, that's sort of their appeal. And it's note like he started out great & turned lousy like Frank Miller or Alan Moore (writing-wise), or is an insufferable prick ike McFarlane.  Liefeld seems like a nice enough - albiet lazy - guy who doesn't take himself too seriously.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 12:41:49 PM »

Leifeld doing bad art is not just realism or style.  He can't manage basic perspective (and it is NOT intentional), all his faces look the same, he can only draw from like two angles, he can't draw wrists to save his life, his cross hatching technique is wonky, proportions vary wildly from frame to frame at times, and on and on and on.  Jim Lee had a similar style but is technically a significantly superior artist.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The 40 Worst Rob Liefeld Drawings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.