Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:01:05 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Need Suggestions from Foodies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Need Suggestions from Foodies  (Read 1656 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: May 16, 2011, 08:54:16 AM »

I'll toot my own horn here and say that I'm far better than an average cook.

My youngest son's first birthday is coming up and if there's one thing my wife and I have learned from our oldest son, there's no point in making a kid's first birthday a big affair for the kid. They'll never appreciate it. Even his second birthday was a stretch to justify doing anything big "kid" thing. Better just to make it a smaller get-together and make it fun for the adults.

So my wife and I are having a mini luau-themed party on Memorial Day weekend and, of course, honoring Declan's first birthday. Tiki torches, Hawaiian shirts, a fun Rum drink or two, and poolside antics. I've cooked many types of food, but never Hawaiian. Anybody here familiar with Hawaiian food and can suggest what to make that wouldn't be too prep-heavy but would adhere to the theme?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 12:36:50 PM »

Kalua pig.

It's doubtful you'll bury a pig underground, but you can easily replace it with pulled pork. I recommend buying a pork shoulder or butt, and either roasting it or slow cooking it in water. Takes a while, but slow cooking is almost impossible to bungle.

Let's see:

Chicken adobo, pretty easy.

Buy some sweet rolls.

Ah! Spam musubi! A slice of fried Spam wrapped in rice and nori.

Pancit. Long noodles cooked with chicken or pork.

You could also get some Ahi tuna steaks. Seared and served slice, they're pretty good.

Seems doubtful you'll find any poi, and I wouldn't recommend trying to make lomi-lomi or poke if you don't have a really good fresh fish source.

Lots of pineapple. Serve it however you want. People associate the pineapple and teriyaki combo with Hawaii, but I didn't see it more prevalent there than anywhere else.

So... pork, pineapple, seafood and Spam.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:40:48 PM »

Thats tricky... beyond roasted pig, and poi, who knows?  I did see something once about a fish baked in a leaf.  Also you could go crazy and find an old 1960's tiki cookbook and go retro.

You could do SPAM... Rack of SPAM, SPAM Sushi... But thats not REALLY cooking more like irony.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »

"Loco Moco" - I had it several times in Hawaii . . . in fact, it's popular even for breakfast.  It's a hamburger on a bed of white rice.  The hamburger has a fried egg on top of it and the whole thing is covered in brown gravy.  No wonder I had a heart attack at age 46.  But it was worth it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:59:13 AM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »

I guess if it's only a small get-together, the roast pig is a bit much. Pretty easy for a large party though. Not sure how common it is where you are, but you can probably rent the rotisserie with a pig and somebody to set it up, all for one price.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Paquita

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:02:13 AM »

I think it's already been said - add pineapple to anything and it's instantly "Hawaiian Style"!  If you put one of those little colorful toothpick umbrellas in it, you have yourself authentic Hawaiian cuisine!  Chop coconuts in half and use them as bowls and your party will be magically transported to the islands.
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 08:10:18 AM »

I'll second mofo's suggestion of barbecued pork, just make sure you use some "tropical" type barbecue sauce and add some pinnaple like paquita said and your good! This'll probably be the easiest to pull off.
Oh you could look up Three Men With Nothing Better To Do, they have some ideas for how to make a Hawaiwian pig (its for a whole pig, but I think it'll give some pointers).
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:26:30 AM »

Thanks everybody,

I think I'll go with Kalua pig using pork shoulder. Can't seem to go wrong with that one. And yes, Paquita, I'll dress it up nicely with some pineapple. Heck, I may even serve drinks in coconut husks.

Cheers

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 03:53:26 PM »

Maybe you can tiki it up some... i found these:
http://www.steviestv.com/Tiki.html

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Need Suggestions from Foodies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.