Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:52:43 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Flintstones reboots on Fox, from Seth MacFarlane « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Flintstones reboots on Fox, from Seth MacFarlane  (Read 20461 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 06:28:27 AM »

I guess what I miss about the old cartoon series from years ago is their innocence.  No sex jokes, no farts, no profanity  . . . it seems that with Hollywood, everything these days has to be about sex and potty humor.  I can remember when my kids were little, about half the shows on Cartoon Network we didn't let them watch.  Not that they were obscene, but just because they were rude and crude and taught kids how to be that way.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »

I guess what I miss about the old cartoon series from years ago is their innocence.  No sex jokes, no farts, no profanity  . . . it seems that with Hollywood, everything these days has to be about sex and potty humor.  I can remember when my kids were little, about half the shows on Cartoon Network we didn't let them watch.  Not that they were obscene, but just because they were rude and crude and taught kids how to be that way.

I don't want The Flintstones to be remade, by ANYBODY. I just like Family Guy. I don't have a problem with the humor. What I find surprising is that the members here tend to be into bad movies, which are loaded with inappropriate themes, sex, gore, and tons of other stuff, but yet there seems to be a large number who get offended by this kind of thing. I guess I find it strange.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 07:46:48 PM »

I don't want The Flintstones to be remade, by ANYBODY. I just like Family Guy. I don't have a problem with the humor. What I find surprising is that the members here tend to be into bad movies, which are loaded with inappropriate themes, sex, gore, and tons of other stuff, but yet there seems to be a large number who get offended by this kind of thing. I guess I find it strange.
I'm in the minority, I suppose.  I don't dislike Family Guy for it's inappropriate jokes or sexual things or the like.  I just think the writers are lazy and stick to the same-old same-old every week and use the sex jokes and such as things in place of actual story or real jokes.

I'm not trying to start an argument with this, but I prefer South Park.  Yes, they've been crude and offensive.  But, more often than not, most episodes seem to sway towards having a point about various topics like war, relationships, religion and hypocrisy a lot.  Like the Maury Povich episode.  It featured some crude humor, but pointed out the fact that Maury pretty much uses little girls who're sluts and such to garner ratings then "attempt to help them correct their ways" without really giving a damn about them to begin with.  Or the other Povich show where they had sick kids with disfiguring diseases on, then attempted to make good by giving them a concert by NSYNC and a trip to DisneyLand. Buggedout

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 11:53:28 AM »

It may seem somewhat hypocritical to some, but not so much in the bigger picture.

The Flintstones (and other shows of the day) are great reminders of our childhood, when we were care-free and happy, and truly innocent in a way that was truly unique to the experience of being a kid. 

It's not that most people can't accept the toilet humor and inappropriate themes of today, it's just that they belong in today's world, with today's shows.

I can understand the occasional rip on some cartoon characters that occurs on shows like Robot Chicken, and some are kinda' funny. And I'm sure most of us have cracked an adult joke or two about them as well.  Hey, we're not kids anymore  Smile

However, taking an entire classic show, and giving it's originality a redux just to please today's audiences, under your own pretenses that that is truly "what the people want" based on today's moral standards (as seems to be the case here) serves no purpose.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »

I'm in the minority, I suppose.  I don't dislike Family Guy for it's inappropriate jokes or sexual things or the like.  I just think the writers are lazy and stick to the same-old same-old every week and use the sex jokes and such as things in place of actual story or real jokes.

I'm not trying to start an argument with this, but I prefer South Park.  Yes, they've been crude and offensive.  But, more often than not, most episodes seem to sway towards having a point about various topics like war, relationships, religion and hypocrisy a lot.  Like the Maury Povich episode.  It featured some crude humor, but pointed out the fact that Maury pretty much uses little girls who're sluts and such to garner ratings then "attempt to help them correct their ways" without really giving a damn about them to begin with.  Or the other Povich show where they had sick kids with disfiguring diseases on, then attempted to make good by giving them a concert by NSYNC and a trip to DisneyLand. Buggedout

Thumbup Cheers

Now that's a comment I can appreciate.

Actually, between those two examples, I will agree that the work of Trey Parker and Matt Stone comes up a couple of notches above Seth MacFarlane. Both are formulaic, but South Park pushes the envelope of the formula more, and does tend to make more poignant points. Family Guy humor is cheaper and more redundant, I also agree, but I still like it much like I love Beavis and Butthead although every episode was almost exactly the same.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 09:09:46 AM »

Even ignoring MacFarlane, the prospect of updating the Flintstones makes me nervous. It was easy to make low-tech versions of 1960s technology that were powered by animals or the users themselves, and it was not too much of a stretch to accept an occasional TV set or telephone. I can't imagine the Flintstones with smart phones or the internet. It's not just demanding a greater suspension of disbelief, but also really changing the whole flavour of the show.

There have been a number of incarnations of the Flintstones over the years, but technology and society had not changed as much from the early 60s to the early 90s as they have since. In those years, we pretty much had all the same gadgets. They merely improved. And the way people lived and did things did not change that much. If this new Flintstones is going to be a reflection of the present day, it's going to be a very different Flintstones than even the live-action movie. And I think most of us agree that of all the other Flintstones cartoons and movies, the original series was always the best.

I'm not saying it won't work, but I do have strong doubts.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 04:05:47 PM »

I appreciate Family Guy, sometimes. I did watch it's initial few seasons but haven't steadily since about '05. If I see a rerun, I wont change the channel, but I dont seek it out. Partly due to reasons previously stated.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
venomx
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 04:09:42 PM »

Unfortunately I see MacFarlane turning the Flintstones into a show with the same formula adapted by Family Guy

Bingo. That sounds about right. I guess Fred will have lots of references "PRE stone age"? Twirling
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »

Even ignoring MacFarlane, the prospect of updating the Flintstones makes me nervous. It was easy to make low-tech versions of 1960s technology that were powered by animals or the users themselves, and it was not too much of a stretch to accept an occasional TV set or telephone. I can't imagine the Flintstones with smart phones or the internet. It's not just demanding a greater suspension of disbelief, but also really changing the whole flavour of the show.

There have been a number of incarnations of the Flintstones over the years, but technology and society had not changed as much from the early 60s to the early 90s as they have since. In those years, we pretty much had all the same gadgets. They merely improved. And the way people lived and did things did not change that much. If this new Flintstones is going to be a reflection of the present day, it's going to be a very different Flintstones than even the live-action movie. And I think most of us agree that of all the other Flintstones cartoons and movies, the original series was always the best.

I'm not saying it won't work, but I do have strong doubts.

A very nice defense of a classic TV show, AndyC  Cheers

There's a difference in attitude given the time we grew up in, and like many of us, The Flintstones (and other stuff like the Saturday afternoon and evening monster movie matinees) just puts us in that happier time and makes us feel good again.

And seeing these shows just the way they were preserves that happy feeling; these are our comfort zones. And in this day and age, I can't blame people for finding that place they call their own, no matter who they are. We all need it.

Naturally, we can't stop the powers that be from doing what they'll do to The Flintsones, so on that note, I'll just tune into Bommerang on those warm summer nights, crack open a cold one, sit back and let it all come back to me. 

Great old cartoon shows and the feelings they bring back: the 4th answer to the question  "Conan, what is best in life"?   BounceGiggle

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »

http://www.ugo.com/tv/seth-macfarlane-the-flintstones-reboot

So, Seth MacFarlane, creator of dreadful shows Family Guy, American Dad! and The Cleveland Show now gets to have LESS time to sleep, as Fox Network has finally gotten the rights to bring out The Flintstones for new tv shows and movies. 

I'm not overly opposed to a remake/reboot/relaunch/whatever it's called today, but I AM opposed to MacFarlane's involvement.  I think it'd have a better shot with someone else.

Granted, his shows, however poorly written, are incredibly popular.  But if the way he writes the other shows are any indication, expect the Flintstones to be spouting gay jokes, singing about AIDS, and having various cutaway scenes that have nothing to do with the plot or any jokes in them whatsoever.

Fully agreed, HG.  MacFarlane is the worst thing to come onto TV since Leave it to Beaver.  His shows are so disgusting, I can't even hold my dinner in.  Honestly, I wish my TV had the ability to block all of MacFarlane's material.  His shows should be yanked off the air, DVD and Blu Ray production of his shows should stop immediately and MacFarlane himself, banned from the industry.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »

So, Seth MacFarlane, creator of dreadful shows Family Guy, American Dad! and The Cleveland Show now gets to have LESS time to sleep, as Fox Network has finally gotten the rights to bring out The Flintstones for new tv shows and movies. 

I'm not overly opposed to a remake/reboot/relaunch/whatever it's called today, but I AM opposed to MacFarlane's involvement.  I think it'd have a better shot with someone else.

Granted, his shows, however poorly written, are incredibly popular.  But if the way he writes the other shows are any indication, expect the Flintstones to be spouting gay jokes, singing about AIDS, and having various cutaway scenes that have nothing to do with the plot or any jokes in them whatsoever.

Fully agreed, HG.  MacFarlane is the worst thing to come onto TV since Leave it to Beaver.  His shows are so disgusting, I can't even hold my dinner in.  Honestly, I wish my TV had the ability to block all of MacFarlane's material.  His shows should be yanked off the air, DVD and Blu Ray production of his shows should stop immediately and MacFarlane himself, banned from the industry.

Plus, they're so unrealistic.

BounceGiggle

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »

Not a big fan of MacFarlane either-but to ban him? That reeks of CENSORSHIP-which I vehnemtly oppose.
Yer not banned-and you aint gotta lotta fans either,pal.
If you dont like it-turn it off.
Oh-and LEAVE IT TO BEAVER is an excellent show. Sure-it's not a reflection of the REAL world-but it's nice.
Why am I arguing with this pinhead?  Question

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »

Plus, they're so unrealistic.

BounceGiggle

True. I'm kind of disappointed. I was expecting a long, tiresome rant about all of the Flintstones' historical inaccuracies, how a foot-powered car would be slower and harder than just walking, why a wooden TV antenna wouldn't work, how difficult it would be to care for all those animals inside the appliances, and how Fred's house appears much bigger inside than out, and must have several sets of identical furniture. I expected him to rail against Hanna-Barbera's obvious contempt for the audience in not giving us an accurate depiction of life in the stone age, and thinking we'd be fooled by such a flawed show. All we got was criticism of Seth MacFarlane. WyreWizard is slipping.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 06:35:06 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Robocop
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 09:21:51 PM »

Like I said in my previous post, people tend to forget that pre Family Guy MacFarlane was working on shows that have shaped our childhoods. The likes of cow & chicken, Dextors Labtory and Johnny Bravo, so incorporating that formula in place wouldn't be so bad, but since his style in writing and directing has changed so much post 1999, I'm sure this rebooted version of the show will be much like his current shows. For a sample of whats most likely to come seek out every Flintstones cutaway gag in Family Guy or "Fred and Barney try to get into a club" in the Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy. I admit the latter was quite funny, although I guess it was more of a parody then anything else.

Small | Large
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »

Umaril really answered very well above, but I would like to address Flick's original comment above.  I have no problem with adult humor or content . . . . FOR ADULTS.  It's a free society, everyone can take it or leave it.  My entertainment standards are probably lower than they ought to be, but the thing is, as an adult, I have the unequivocal right to set those standards and consume the entertainment of my choice.

My issue is with programming that is clearly targeted towards children, but is brimming with sex jokes, non-stop potty humor, and profanities.  THAT'S what I miss about the older kid shows.  They could be funny and clean at the same time - something that most of Hollywood today has lost the capacity to do, in its relentless war on childhood innocence.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Flintstones reboots on Fox, from Seth MacFarlane « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.