Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:50:39 AM
714311 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  French horror/thriller cinema « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: French horror/thriller cinema  (Read 3507 times)
Swamp Thing
Dedicated Viewer

« on: July 17, 2011, 04:12:52 AM »

Overall, I am actually more of a fan of Spanish horror/thriller cinema myself (thread coming soon), but I want to ask what have you seen and what are your thoughts on the new wave of French horror/thriller films that have come out in recent years?

The French film Inside is in my top ten for sure. It's such a masterfully crafted piece of suspense and gore cinema. I like the French take on horror, it's a bit more serious in tone than Amercian. But they make some good films too so I'm not writing them off. Even us Australian's have some good genre output lately (eg The Clinic, The Loved Ones). And I've been following the Korean's (Sector 7 looks good and I Saw The Devil was awesome) and the Norwegian and Sweedish films for a while too now. But if I had to say a country I think put out the best horror/thriller films it would have to be Spain (Films To Keep You Awake, Fragile, The Others, The Orphanage, Shiver). They are the most consistent in my books.

I have three new French ones on DVD so I can't wait to watch them. They are Stranded (Djinns), The Pack (La Meute) and Prey (Proie).

Ones I have seen:

Calvaire
Them
Vertige
Humains
Mutants
La Horde
Martyrs
Inside
Frontiers
Haute Tension
Irreversible
I Stand Alone
Vinyan
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Vampire Party

Ones I haven't seen but want to see:

Captifs
Livid
Malevolence
Deep in the Woods
In Their Sleep
Trouble Every Day
Tell No One
The Village of Shadows
5150 Elm's Way
Forbidden House
Territories
7 Days
The Hunters
Paris, I'll Kill

As you can can probably tell, I am a completist! I'm sure I've missed some newer ones too!

Abby Arcane: Is there a Mrs. Swamp Thing?
Swamp Thing: No, I'm a bachelor.
claws
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 04:29:53 AM »

Kind of hard to track down since it was never really released to home video (I think) but it used to air on German TV all the time:

Au rendez-vous de la mort joyeuse (1973) a.k.a. Expulsion of the Devil / At the Meeting with Joyous Death

It's like Paranormal Activity meets Poltergeist. Very spooky/creepy haunted farm house flick and way ahead of its time back then.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 05:16:47 AM »

Aka The Crimson Rivers: a truly disturbing and often very scary film IMO.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Skull
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 08:12:05 AM »

Small | Large

I've seen many of his films and I believe this is Jean Rollin's best horror film... :)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 01:14:39 PM »

Jean Rollins is an aquired taste...that I have aquired!

LIVING DEAD GIRL

warning : NSFW!!!!

EDIT: Clip removed. Sorry, RCMerchant, but there's a strict no nudity rule on the message board. -Mofo Rising
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:50:40 AM by Mofo Rising » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »

Jean Rollins is an aquired taste...that I have aquired!

I have several Jean Rollin DVDs.  A company called "Redemption" released a bunch of them (and other Euro horrors) a few years ago.  I must have about a dozen of those Redemption DVDs and probably at least half of them are Jean Rollin movies.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 02:49:34 AM »

I'm not sure if its on the list because I haven't seen it nor can I remember the title, but there was a recent film that dealt with monsters in the catacombs of France where people were having underground raves, and I remember someone telling me that it was pretty interesting.

Vague, I know, but it may be worth looking at further [it could just be a US produced film set in France though]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Skull
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 06:39:59 AM »

I'm not sure if its on the list because I haven't seen it nor can I remember the title, but there was a recent film that dealt with monsters in the catacombs of France where people were having underground raves, and I remember someone telling me that it was pretty interesting.

Vague, I know, but it may be worth looking at further [it could just be a US produced film set in France though]

Catacombs (2007)

I'm not actually sure how the movie went, I fell asleep within the first 30 min.
Swamp Thing
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 12:45:07 AM »

Thanks guys. I've seen Catacombs, it was set in France and had that singer Pink in it, it was pretty good. We could add An American Werewolf in Paris to the list if we're adding films set in France, but I meant French language films in my first post.

The Crimson Rivers sounds really good and I hadn't heard of it before, so I'll be tracking that down for sure. Thanks Trevor!

Abby Arcane: Is there a Mrs. Swamp Thing?
Swamp Thing: No, I'm a bachelor.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  French horror/thriller cinema « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.