Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:13:19 AM
714357 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A Question of Sanity « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A Question of Sanity  (Read 4118 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »

I've had my own experiences with mental illness - depression, anxiety, mild OCD, obsession - and it's got to be the worst kind of pain, because your own mind is the one thing you can't escape from, and when it isn't working right, you don't perceive things as they really are. I've dealt with it off and on for as long as I can remember, but I had a particularly terrible bout of it about ten years ago - so bad there are one or two places I'm afraid to go, simply because of the memory of a terrifying thought I had there. Mental illness is much more common than most people realize, and there's no shame in it.

My first thought is to see even a medical doctor if you can. No need for a lot of expensive psychoanalysis, if a prescription for a simple SSRI will do the job. Reading this thread and others, I'm thinking it might. I'm hearing a lot of depression and anxiety in what you're saying. For me, the hard part was just going to see somebody, and not trying to tough it out myself. I just went to see my doctor a few years ago, told him what was wrong, and he gave me a prescription without a lot of folderol. I haven't quite found the right combination of meds yet, but what I have is helping some.

Now, if that is still more than you can afford, I agree that activity is best. Get out for a walk every day. Take advantage of the sunshine and get outside. Pump some iron if you can. Physical activity and sunshine will boost your serotonin levels, which will help some. And try to do some activities that require a lot of mental focus, something you can really get into for a couple of hours. Your cartooning seems like an ideal choice. From what you've said before, I think part of your problem is that you have a job that doesn't require a lot of focus, and it gives you several hours a day to get caught up in your own thoughts. Probably a good idea to fill your spare time with mentally demanding activities.

Another good thing you can do is a form of cognitive therapy, which can be as simple as learning to recognize an unhealthy thought and dealing with it in a healthy way. People always want to work through things, as if an irrational thought can be dispelled with reason. If you are depressed and anxious and obsessive, trying to argue with your own negative thoughts can just turn you in on yourself and let those thoughts take over. I know from personal experience. If you can train yourself to recognize such thoughts for what they are, you can deal with them in a way that won't cause them to spiral out of control. That can be as simple as just not taking the bait, and diverting your attention elsewhere.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 01:22:26 AM »

Good post, AndyC.  Focusing on something really does take away that edge. For me, it was creative pursuits... when I had the space, I built model kits all the time. Mostly monsters and classic sci-fi stuff like the Lost In Space robot B9, and such.

I'd be sitting there for hours sometimes, not knowing how much time had passed, and seeing how nice the model kits looked when I got done putting all that energy into creativity really paid off in a big way. So did lessons in airbrushing and general brush techniques, lol

Point is, occupation is a big distraction for negative feelings, as you concentrate so
much on your task that you forget what was bothering you. Mind you, one size dosen't fit all in these situations, but creativity is a good way to go with these kinds of issues. It helps you burn a lot of energy in a good way.  Smile

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A Question of Sanity « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.