Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:05:09 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I'm starting film class on Tuesday, any advice? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I'm starting film class on Tuesday, any advice?  (Read 8918 times)
66Crush
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:26:35 AM »

I've been wanting to study film for along time and finally have the chance. I'm probably going to be much older than everyone else in the class. I haven't been in school for years and I'm kind of nervous. I don't want to look stupid, what advice would you give me?
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:34:26 AM »

I've been wanting to study film for along time and finally have the chance. I'm probably going to be much older than everyone else in the class. I haven't been in school for years and I'm kind of nervous. I don't want to look stupid, what advice would you give me?

One word: enjoy.  TeddyR

I went back to school last month as part of the Film Archivist's Summer School and was easily the oldest person there ~ I'm 43 ~ and was able to put my knowledge to use to assist the other students there. Show what you know, make yourself indispensable to your fellow students, don't be afraid to learn but above all, enjoy is the word.  TeddyR

BTW: my avatar is a pic of me at the Film School.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
66Crush
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:55:33 AM »

Thank You.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:14:44 AM »

What Film studies are you doing? I was in just Film Studies and there I learned about Mis-en-scene, motif, and other stuff. oh yeah, enjoy!

yeah no.
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 08:19:18 AM »

Well, no need to take a film class. I'll break it down to the basics. Out of bar soaps, Lever and Dove tend to leave the least amount of film on the skin and bathroom surfaces, but if you really want to keep the soap film down, go with liquid soap.

There. No need to take a class about it now.

That is what we're talking about, right?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 11:04:02 AM »

My advice would be to watch the films closely.  It's certainly possible that your professor won't pick worthwhile flicks, but I'd doubt it!   Smile  Even some films that the casual viewer may find perplexing or boring may in fact have a lot to offer the careful viewer.  And as Trevor said: ENJOY!!!

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 01:00:13 PM »

Show up on time, that always makes a good impression.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 07:17:02 PM »

Iv'e signed up for a Film Class at High School next year, I can't wait for it, and I hope you enjoy yours.

dean

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:19:49 PM »

What sort of class?  Film theory?  Any specific direction they take it?  I have done quite a few film theory subjects in my time in my undergrad, so if you need some advice on something in particular give me a holler!  But yeah, enjoy it and hopefully you'll have every film ruined for you, the amount of times you'll have to rewatch them over and over! [best thing ever really]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »

I took a film class in my first semster in college.  Not much to give advice on but to make sure to pay attention to what film you are watching and take notes.  That screwed me up on a lot of papers.  Also, don't be completely honest about your thoughts.  I did so on The Piano paper and I got hit hard.  Maybe I shouldn't have been so harshed since it was the teacher's favorite film...

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I'm starting film class on Tuesday, any advice? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.