Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:40:28 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Hobo With A Shotgun « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hobo With A Shotgun  (Read 17093 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 26, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »

If there is a showing near you, see it.  Don't even think about it, just go.  Now.  Leave work or whatever and just go see it.

Look past the grindhouse goofiness and you'll see an extremely tight-plotted and efficient film.  There are no plot holes.  Every cause has an effect, every effect has a cause, every setup has a payoff.  Actions have real motivations.

There are a couple of weak links.  Unfortunately, the primary villain is one.  He's annoying, really annoying.  The character is supposed to be but they go way, way overboard with it.  The other is the female lead.  She doesn't pull off one very important scene.

If nothing else, see this for Rutger Hauer as the Hobo.  It's the best performance I've seen from any actor in I don't know when.  Seriously.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 04:49:13 AM »

While the local movie house in Paw Paw used to play all sorts of films in the 70's and early 80's,it generally plays only mass distrubuted blockbusters now. And no 3-D films either-being I don't think any real modifications have been made since the 1960's. Heck-the seats look to be from the 1920s!
That being said-I am most DEFINTLEY going to buy it when it hits dvd!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:01:17 AM »

Heck-the seats look to be from the 1920s!

TeddyR

That sounds like my hometown cinema to me. It still had some wood seats until 1986, I don't know what the place looks like now.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »

This was playing in my city a few days ago. Sadly it was a 18 up event.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »

I've never seen but will make sure I make an attempt to. Not surprising that Rutger Hauer would be incredible. I've never understood why his career was not more prominent.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Neville

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 05:19:59 AM »

Saw it a few weeks ago, and I thought it was amazing. I normally don't care much about this grindhouse-style films, but this one strikes the right notes right from the start. And Hauer is just plain amazing here, I hope somebody takes note and gives him more starring roles in the future.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 06:25:11 AM »

I'm DYING to see this flick. I was initially disinterested, because I didn't really know what it was like and I thought it was just going to be a straight Death Wish-style gritty revenge flick, albeit with the inherent humor of the main character being a hobo, but then I read the Rue Morgue cover story about the film a while back and realized how crazy and weird this flick is actually supposed to be, and that just got my juices a-flowin'. I love weird.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »

Hobo with a Shotgun just popped up on Netflix instant streaming the other day.
What are you waiting for?  Go queue it up!   Thumbup
Vik
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 04:34:16 PM »

I thought it was good, not great, but good. I wasn't really in the mood, though, so I should give it another viewing to make up my mind.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »

I liked it for what it was.. unapologetically gross and offensive!  Yay!

I completely agree about the lead villian.. annoying.  Not entirely his fault, some of the dialogue was terrible.  And the two guys in metal suits were just stupid.  I knew that once the hooker starting making her Ash-like weaponry the film was going to start going downhill.. boy howdy did it.  But the first 2-thirds was pretty enjoyable.  The goofy acting and dialogue by the lead bad guy's sons was enjoyable in a Troma-esque way.  And Rutger was pretty good.. odd dialogue at times but since when does a hobo not churn out weird dialogue?

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 12:27:50 AM »

I've never seen but will make sure I make an attempt to. Not surprising that Rutger Hauer would be incredible. I've never understood why his career was not more prominent.

Indeed!  Many forget one of Hauer's first acting jobs was the renegade android in Blade Runner, as well as his performance in Paul Verhoeven's Flesh And Blood, a very gritty medieval film I enjoyed very much. He played the killer in the original The Hitcher and so much more!  This guy should have been a bigger star!

Also, if I had been directing Enemy At The Gates I'd have gotten Hauer for the role of the sniper. Ed Harris didn't look German enough, as where Hauer has that look that says "purebred German" all over it.  It would have definitely lent the film some authenticity, though it was a good anyway!

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
dean

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 01:47:49 AM »

Saw it last weekend at the Melbourne International Film Festival alongside a few hundred other patrons.  Nothing screams fun like watching such a terrible film with an insanely large group of people who love it too.

It was more violent than I was expecting, which worked really well.  Everything had been overblown; the violence, the dirty pick up lines, the craziness of the Hobo.  Ah it was brilliant.

The music was fantastic as well, and Rutger Hauer was nothing short of brilliant.  That story about the bears was pitch perfect.

A must see for fans of weird and stupid...   Thumbup  Thumbup  Thumbup

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »

Finished this the other night.  It was pretty good!
The violence was WAY over the top.  It's on par with the hardcore violence in the original Toxic Avenger.

The only things I didn't like was the color scheme and the bits where the hobo is talking to that chick in her apartment.  That teal and tan color scheme got old real quick and I fast forwarded through the slow parts.

If you love over the top blood and gore then you'll love this movie.

I'm giving it 3 out of 4 stars.   Thumbup
Hammock Rider

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 09:52:12 AM »

I didn't know Rutger Hauer was in this as the Hobo. Now I'm definitely going to see it!

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 07:33:40 PM »

hired this out 2 days ago and had to turn it off after 30 minutes. I found myself physically recoiling, not because of the violence but because of the dialogue and the characters, and the general tone of the film...just found it unwatchable

I hired out Machete again tonight to get the memory of all 30 minutes of Hobo I endured out of my head

that said, I hope someone decides to give the fake trailer 'ThanksGiving' a go...that looks like it could be a classic if done right.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:35:44 PM by DCA » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Hobo With A Shotgun « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.