Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:29:41 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  It's Garry Shandling's Show « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It's Garry Shandling's Show  (Read 3025 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: May 30, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »

Small | Large

I just rented the first disk of the first season. It's dated in some ways but 1986 was a pretty darn long time ago and in general it's held up really well. Watching tv series on DVD you rented kind of blows because it's like watching a 4 hour movie or something, but I still enjoyed it alot.

If you've never seen it, It was pretty much the Curb Your Enthusiam of it's time. Very edgy and different and irreverent. One thing it's known for probably more than any show ever is it's  disregard for the the 4th wall. Alot of what Shandling says is to the audience and it's remarkable that it still flows as show and you still identify traits and whatnot to the characters when he reminds you so frequently it's not real, even going around the cameras and into the audience and stuff.

Good comedy is hard to find. I'm always trying to add variety to my viewing with comedy and there is just not much out there it seems. I own all the Sealab seasons, Seinfeld and the Simpsons are on every day and I'm not going to watch some mediocre "comedy" like I am some kind of automaton that is fulfilling some kind of requirement quality be damned. I'm not like the guy who doesn't care how the lite beer tastes though that is a dumb ad that I don't like.

4.5/5 (probably deserves higher)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 02:09:38 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:17:36 PM »

I really liked the show when I watched it in the 1990s on Showtime.  I didn't realize it started way back in 1986; I must have seen it in reruns.  I remember it as being really funny.  I keep hoping it will show up on Netflix instant.

I still remember the theme song to this day!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »

I watched The Larry Sanders Show quite a bit, but I never caught much of this precursor show. I remember seeing promos and being interested, but I was in my senior year of high school and too busy with studying, trying to start a band, watching free movies at the multiplex I worked at, and making awkward fumbling attempts at getting laid to watch much t.v. at the time.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »

Great show.

Loved this and Larry Sanders.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:43:06 AM »

I'm glad this is out on DVD. It was hilarious and ahead of it's time. I remember and episode where Tom Petty came over to hang out with Garry and ended up washing his windows.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:08:39 AM »

I really liked the show when I watched it in the 1990s on Showtime.  I didn't realize it started way back in 1986; I must have seen it in reruns.  I remember it as being really funny.  I keep hoping it will show up on Netflix instant.

I still remember the theme song to this day!

The Randy Newman theme song was genius. And the way Garry would just kill time while it played.

I can still remember a few bits that made me laugh. The episode with Mr. Ling Shan. Ian Buchanan's recurring role as the boyfriend who "looks like that guy on the soap opera."

And the musical episode had me laughing out loud, especially when Grant decides he's not ready to start having sex.
Chorus: Well isn't that great, Master Grant is going to wait. So for now Master Grant will have to mastur..
Garry: HIS STUDIES! MASTER HIS STUDIES!
BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:13:21 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  It's Garry Shandling's Show « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.