Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:51:46 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Fright Night 2011 « previous next »
Poll
Question: Is anyone seeing this remake? Worth seeing in 3D?
Not at all - 6 (37.5%)
Can't wait - 0 (0%)
Only on dvd/On Demand - 4 (25%)
Why would anyone remake it? - 6 (37.5%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Fright Night 2011  (Read 11209 times)
venomx
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 09:50:09 AM »

80's Peter Vincent: (rolls eyes) The whole idea of this is making my head hurt. Magicians? Really?
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 06:41:03 AM »

!

Oh and yes. Peter Vincent is in the REMAKE. (above David Tennant) I'm not sure what to think.

Doctor fu*king Who is playing Peter Vincent?

Yes he is. And he's pretty much the only reason I'm planning to see this movie when it comes out. He was FANTASTIC  Wink as The Doctor (anyone who says otherwise is gonna get a wallop in the kisser, ya hear?) and I desperately want to see his career take off now that he's trying to make the transition stateside, so for that reason alone I pray that Fright Night will end up being better than I fear it actually will. There's also the matter that I love the original Fright Night (not only does it have an AWESOME score and delightfully gooey FX work, not only is Roddy McDowell unforgettable as Peter Vincent, and not only is Stephen Geoffrey's the most manic, spastic performance this side of Dwight Frye, but this marks the one and only time that I have been sexually attracted to Amanda Bearse ever... go back and watch the movie, the scenes where her hair down, she's shiny with sweat, and going braless in that ridiculously sheer white gown in what is obviously a very cold room... tell me that's not a vision worthy of awe and wonder). So, yeah, I'll be here opening day... but I'm wary.

Regarding Peter Vincent who, yes, IS in the movie... yes, he has been changed to a Criss Angel-type magician character. Evidently, the thinking was that most of the teen movie-going audience nowadays wouldn't be able to relate to the horror host concept, since so few even know what it is these days (sad but true). I can't actually argue with that logic, and, in terms of what routes they could've went int, I don't think the magician angle is all that bad. Kind of creative, actually. Personally, if I HAD to change the character, I would've gone more in the direction of him being a washed-up has-been actor making the rounds at the horror convention circuit, signing autographed 8x10's for an ever-shrinking line of nerds. I think that would be truer to the original Peter Vincent character, and would also be more dramatically interested. Oh well. Supposedly, he's going to be a gothy, full-of-himself egotistical illustionist whose act has an occult bent and who bills himself as an authority on "real" magic, the supernatural, vampires, etc. Of course, just like with the Peter Vincent of the original Fright Night, the character is a sham. In reality, he's a wimp who knows nothing about "real" vampires. Yada yada yada, you get the deal.

In any case, if nothing else, I think the remake does bring up a good point: what the hell kind of a name for a vampire is "Jerry" anyway?!?

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »

!

Oh and yes. Peter Vincent is in the REMAKE. (above David Tennant) I'm not sure what to think.

Doctor fu*king Who is playing Peter Vincent?

Yes he is. And he's pretty much the only reason I'm planning to see this movie when it comes out. He was FANTASTIC  Wink as The Doctor (anyone who says otherwise is gonna get a wallop in the kisser, ya hear?) and I desperately want to see his career take off now that he's trying to make the transition stateside, so for that reason alone I pray that Fright Night will end up being better than I fear it actually will. There's also the matter that I love the original Fright Night (not only does it have an AWESOME score and delightfully gooey FX work, not only is Roddy McDowell unforgettable as Peter Vincent, and not only is Stephen Geoffrey's the most manic, spastic performance this side of Dwight Frye, but this marks the one and only time that I have been sexually attracted to Amanda Bearse ever... go back and watch the movie, the scenes where her hair down, she's shiny with sweat, and going braless in that ridiculously sheer white gown in what is obviously a very cold room... tell me that's not a vision worthy of awe and wonder). So, yeah, I'll be here opening day... but I'm wary.

Regarding Peter Vincent who, yes, IS in the movie... yes, he has been changed to a Criss Angel-type magician character. Evidently, the thinking was that most of the teen movie-going audience nowadays wouldn't be able to relate to the horror host concept, since so few even know what it is these days (sad but true). I can't actually argue with that logic, and, in terms of what routes they could've went int, I don't think the magician angle is all that bad. Kind of creative, actually. Personally, if I HAD to change the character, I would've gone more in the direction of him being a washed-up has-been actor making the rounds at the horror convention circuit, signing autographed 8x10's for an ever-shrinking line of nerds. I think that would be truer to the original Peter Vincent character, and would also be more dramatically interested. Oh well. Supposedly, he's going to be a gothy, full-of-himself egotistical illustionist whose act has an occult bent and who bills himself as an authority on "real" magic, the supernatural, vampires, etc. Of course, just like with the Peter Vincent of the original Fright Night, the character is a sham. In reality, he's a wimp who knows nothing about "real" vampires. Yada yada yada, you get the deal.

In any case, if nothing else, I think the remake does bring up a good point: what the hell kind of a name for a vampire is "Jerry" anyway?!?

I do love the original movie.  I probably didn't make that clear in an earlier post.  I have a passing interest in this, but more in a "shocked/by-jove what have they done" kind of interest.  Originally I didn't see him in the trailer, but after it was mentioned, I re-watched the trailer and saw him.  I don't have a problem so much with changing that aspect of the character since "Creature Feature" shows have since gone bye-bye.  But overall, if I see this at all, it'll be if I order it On Demand. 

As for David Tennant.  He did portray a great Doctor.  I've been digging Matt Smith as well. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 07:47:48 PM »

"Why would anyone remake it?"

But I still plan on seeing it anyway, and that's after seeing the clips from it that are floating around on the world wide web.

I think one of the problems is that the original had a very much '80's vibe to it, which you can not recreate 30 years later.

I am also interested in seeing what they do with "Evil Ed" in the remake, as he is one the few screen characters I really have some empathy for.
66Crush
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »

This isn't the first remake of "Fright Night." I have a movie from a few years ago called "Never Cry Werewolf" that is a major rip-off of "Fright Night." Except the dude is a werewolf instead of a vampire. The Charlie character is a girl (Nina Dobrev, who's hot, that's the only reason I bought it). The Peter Vincent Character has been changed to a "Crocadile Hunter" type character played by Kevin Sorbo. It's crappy but I enjoyed it. The die-hard "Fright Night" fans will hate it. As far as the newest one goes, David Tennant is a very versitile actor, he's not just Doctor Who.
claws
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 01:40:13 AM »

This isn't the first remake of "Fright Night." I have a movie from a few years ago called "Never Cry Werewolf" that is a major rip-off of "Fright Night." Except the dude is a werewolf instead of a vampire. The Charlie character is a girl (Nina Dobrev, who's hot, that's the only reason I bought it). The Peter Vincent Character has been changed to a "Crocadile Hunter" type character played by Kevin Sorbo. It's crappy but I enjoyed it. The die-hard "Fright Night" fans will hate it.

You should check out Night Visitor (1989) which is another blatant Fright Night rip off. Except the dude is a Satanist instead of a vampire. You'll also get a Charley, Evil Ed and Amy character. The Peter Vincent character has been changed to a burned out ex-cop type of character played by Elliott Gould.
They even recreated the twig-scratching-window fake scare from Fright Night  BounceGiggle

Worth a looksy.
benjamindlevin
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 02:43:12 AM »

Ok, so now that the movie is out... what does everyone say? 

I just watched it and have to say that, sadly, it is lacking in some areas.  It lacks the creepy impending doom of the original.  Charlie is much more pathetic in the original.  Also, Ed is horrible in this one.  I didn't mind that they changed Peter Vincent to something more modern, but this character had no depth in the remake.  We didn't know anything about him except he possibly might be an expert on this sort of thing, but they did not make you believe that he would be.  I mean, he has a website with a pentagram on it and he has a Las Vegas magic act...ok?

I am a bit too disappointed to compose my thoughts as to why I really did not like it.  I may have to see it again to get a better idea of why exactly this didn't work. 

I think it may have been the new screenplay, but I wouldn't know that without reading it first.  This could be the director or even editors fault.  Things seem left out or suddenly added in and the whole thing seems hurried to get to the conclusion.  If you love the original you will dislike this one as some of the elements that made the first one work are left out or handled poorly.  Inviting a vampire in to your house...

for me, this gets a downward thumb  Thumbdown  make it two  Thumbdown Thumbdown
claws
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 02:53:11 AM »

Not seen yet but I noticed that critics seem to like it. Most gave it good/very good reviews and it got a pretty high rating score at IMDb - which is funny because so far I have only read negative comments at forums.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 06:35:38 AM »

Not seen yet but I noticed that critics seem to like it. Most gave it good/very good reviews and it got a pretty high rating score at IMDb - which is funny because so far I have only read negative comments at forums.

They've probably been paid to give it a decent review so that more people will consider going to watch it. Either that, or they were born too young/late to appreciate everyone's love of the 1985 version.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 07:18:59 AM »

I'll watch it on DVD.

I have heard some good thing about it. I'm not expecting the fun of the original but hopefully it won't be a complete waste of time.

I'm not desperate to see it, but I'll happily give it a viewing later.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »

Apparently Roger Ebert gave it 3 stars. I do notice that most flicks that get praise from critics are far removed from what I particularly like.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
peter johnson

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 04:28:48 PM »

Circus Circus - why all the hate for Colin Farrell?  He does great charity work for children with Angelman Syndrome, like his own son, and is one of the single best screen actors working - "Intermission", "In Bruges" - I'm planning on seeing this simply because he's in it -

peter johnson

I have no idea what this means.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 05:52:42 AM »

Circus Circus - why all the hate for Colin Farrell?  He does great charity work for children with Angelman Syndrome, like his own son, and is one of the single best screen actors working - "Intermission", "In Bruges" - I'm planning on seeing this simply because he's in it -

peter johnson

See the film, it doesn't bother me. He may do charity work (lots of actors do) and may have done some great roles here and there but he's also done some terrible ones like S.W.A.T., Miami Vice and Daredevil. Oh and then there's the arrogant interviews, the drugs and all the sexual harassment. I just don't like him, but I'm not out to change anyone else's opinion on the guy. He's only one of the many reasons why I don't wish to see this remake.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 05:12:28 PM »

Apparently Roger Ebert gave it 3 stars. I do notice that most flicks that get praise from critics are far removed from what I particularly like.

I did want to see what rating Ebert gave the original, and he gave it the same rating as the remake 3 stars.

Some place on this board, having seen both the original and remake, I did go into greater detail as to what I thought was wrong with the remake. Nothing really, but I don't think it comes up to the original, except in its use of the music in the film, where I think the remake does a better job. Thus, while I think the remake is an okay film, I also think it is another needless remake of an original film, which for my money was better.

I do wonder, how many of those who do like the remake, have seen the original, and maybe not seeing the original affects their opinion of the remake.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 05:26:02 PM »

Does anyone remember the Amiga game for the original film?

Small | Large

It used to scare the crap outta me!  Buggedout

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Fright Night 2011 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.