Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:03:31 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Massively Overhyped Bad Movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Massively Overhyped Bad Movies  (Read 12586 times)
spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 02:11:38 AM »

Phantasm 2- I love the Phantasm movies, I just don't see why this was banned/chastised/forbidden to come out on DVD for as long as it was; what's so bad about it?

MGM released the first and last movie, Universal helped make and distributed  2 & 3l. They held onto the rights, it wasn't anything about the movie being bad.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I kept hearing rumors that is was really gory and had a sex scene that bordered on NC-17. Not remembering it from when I first watched it as a little tike, I thought I'd bought a cut version.
melvinthemopboy3
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 10:22:15 AM »

Can't believe someone would say Sleepaway Camp is overrated! It's one of the all time great slasher flicks. Better than Friday the 13th, in my opinion. The ending is classic!

I will, however, second the hate on Phantasm 2. Seriously, that movie was just bland. The first one is such a surreal, different movie. They just jettisoned all of that feeling with the second part.
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 03:09:50 PM »

I wouldn't call it "overhyped" because it's kinda obscure, but I was really let down with Jess Franco's Bloody Moon. It's a pitiful example of the slasher craze that went on the the early 80s only with a bit of that Italian flare. I should've been knocked on my ass by this one (slasher+Italy= well, it sure SOUNDS awesome), but it was just unbelievably painful to sit through. I shoud've just listened to Justin at Hysteria Lives and avoided it alltogether.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »

Troma in general
66Crush
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 08:46:58 PM »

I thought "The Grudge" didn't live up to the hype. It did have a great creepy atmosphere. But it was promoted as a truly terrifing movie, instead of an intense thriller. SMG is a great actress and it was well written and very intense. But it was advertised as gore fest. Now I'm not saying a movie has to be gory to be sacry, that's not the case at all. I think being a remake of an asian film and having the same director, caused the film to not adapt as well to an american audience. Asian filmaker's are better at that creepy kind of film making and us americans have gotten used to all the fast paced gore. I think the same thing happend with "Pulse," which is a cinematicly beautiful film, with another great actress (Kristen Bell). But it was very weak considering the way it was marketed. Although "The Grudge" was a hit and "Pulse" wasn't, I think they both fell short.
claws
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2011, 01:30:35 AM »

I thought "The Grudge" didn't live up to the hype. It did have a great creepy atmosphere. But it was promoted as a truly terrifing movie, instead of an intense thriller. SMG is a great actress and it was well written and very intense. But it was advertised as gore fest. Now I'm not saying a movie has to be gory to be sacry, that's not the case at all. I think being a remake of an asian film and having the same director, caused the film to not adapt as well to an american audience.

I'm not saying The Grudge is a great movie but it was a crowd pleaser. At least in our theater. The audience was screaming like in the good old days.
And yeah, The Grudge really benefits from the unrated version, adding more nasty bits.
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2011, 07:00:41 AM »

Can't believe someone would say Sleepaway Camp is overrated! It's one of the all time great slasher flicks. Better than Friday the 13th, in my opinion. The ending is classic!

Well said although I'm not sure its better that Friday 13th, but still one of my favorites.

Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2011, 10:37:50 PM »

I will, however, second the hate on Phantasm 2.

Hatred
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2011, 05:49:06 AM »

I will third the hate on Phantasm II, it was a total let down after the genuine weirdness, creepiness of the first film. It's watchable but it just gets "too" corny for me even though it's trying hard to be a good late 80s horror and the fact that they had more of a budget. I'd say I like it more than III and IV though, easily.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 06:30:39 AM »

Shawn of the Dead.  Was that supposed to be "funny"?  It was just some slackers being slackers.  Not so much as a hint of cleverness in the entire thing. 

Scream.  I made it about 20 minutes in, until I wanted to kill the main characters myself.  How can people sit through stuff like that? 

I thought The Grudge was pretty good, but every single person I talked to said "Oh, you've gotta see Ju-on, it's way way better than the the American remake."  You can add Ju-on to my list of massively overhyped movies.  I made it about a half hour in, until something scary appeared on screen and our main character just tipped over and fainted.  Fade to next scene.  Up until then it was like a Japanese soap opera with some of the worst acting I've ever seen.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2011, 06:35:45 AM »

Shawn of the Dead.  Was that supposed to be "funny"?  It was just some slackers being slackers.  Not so much as a hint of cleverness in the entire thing. 

Scream.  I made it about 20 minutes in, until I wanted to kill the main characters myself.  How can people sit through stuff like that? 

Oh yeah, I don't like either. I thought Scream was dumb and obnoxious. Shaun Of The Dead didn't make me laugh once and I blame it for starting up this ridiculous out of control zombie craze in the media.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2011, 08:27:48 AM »

I'm a big fan of Simon Pegg/Nick Frost's sitcom Spaced and I thought Shaun Of The Dead was a continuation of that type of humour, as was Hot Fuzz...

@Circus and Jack what did you make of Hot Fuzz, just out of interest

agreed about Scream I thought that was really average, and not just overhyped but also over-analyzed. it's nowhere near as clever or 'groundbreaking' as critics said it was

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2011, 08:32:38 AM »

I'm a big fan of Simon Pegg/Nick Frost's sitcom Spaced and I thought Shaun Of The Dead was a continuation of that type of humour, as was Hot Fuzz...

@Circus and Jack what did you make of Hot Fuzz, just out of interest

I did like Spaced. I thought that was the best thing they did, but I disliked Hot Fuzz even more than Shaun Of The Dead.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2011, 09:16:01 AM »

interesting, I've never heard anyone say they liked Spaced but doesn't like those 2 films! oh well...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »

Until now, I thought that I was the only one who really didn't care for this movie.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Massively Overhyped Bad Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.