Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:24:49 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  ? for you author-types ... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ? for you author-types ...  (Read 3419 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 09, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »

Ever write something dark that makes you wonder if there's maybe something wrong with you?

I'm currently writing a script in which an incestuous, drug-addicted brother and sister take in a teenage prostitute who is hiding from her abusive husband.  Horrible things happen, then the brother and sister decide they need to kill the prostitute since she's the only witness to what they've done.  They kill her via poisoning.  Thing is, by this time she has grown to like and trust them, and dies blathering deliriously and happily about how they are the only people she's ever known who cared about her.

I had to take a step back and wonder how I can think up awful stuff like that.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:55:57 PM »

Not that I'm an enormous Stephen King fan, but he talks about that very thing. Some of this books he writes about some very dark things. There is one part in the novel It that really disturbed me, and he has often cited Pet Sematary as a book that made him question if there was something wrong with him.

That's a fine line, my friend. My wife and I have entertained writing a couple of screenplays based on ideas that get a little dark. If what you are writing is cathartic, and carries with it some kind of meaning, then I think you are okay. Catharsis is almost like a releasing of demons, and can be sometimes painful and disturbing, and cause one to question themselves. This is not usually a bad thing. If it begins to manifest itself in negative ways, however, then there could be a problem.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »

I wrote a short story I thought was brilliant, told pseudo-first person from the perspective of a pathetic, delusional, morbidly obese man with a hobby of stalking strippers.  Everyone looked at me strangely after workshopping it; some of the female writers who I had been friendly with previously started to avoid me.  I couldn't sell the darn thing anywhere, even though I still think it's better than my published story.  The story was written during a tough breakup.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 01:16:20 PM »

I wrote a short story I thought was brilliant, told pseudo-first person from the perspective of a pathetic, delusional, morbidly obese man with a hobby of stalking strippers.  Everyone looked at me strangely after workshopping it; some of the female writers who I had been friendly with previously started to avoid me.  I couldn't sell the darn thing anywhere, even though I still think it's better than my published story.  The story was written during a tough breakup.

When I was about 21 I wrote a one-act play that was really just a series of short vignettes. One of them was a scene with a young teenage girl living with her older-than-average widower father who was alcoholic and abusive, and her life of total co-dependency. It was a very disturbing scene. The father suffers a fatal heart attack at the end of the scene and the daughter is sort of blessed, albeit in a f**ked up way, to be free of him. The play was called Smoke (this was before the movie of the same name), and the only thing that tied any of the scenes together was the fact that at least one character in every scene smoked a cigarette.

That scene was very bizarre to write and had me wondering what was wrong with me.

The only scene I was really proud of in that play, however, was a scene in which a man wakes up in a basement somewhere, tied to a chair. A man he has never seen starts talking to him and slowly reveals that he is the husband of the woman he is having an affair with, and presumably this is revenge and intends to kill her lover. As it turns out, the man tied to the chair is indeed having an affair with a married woman, but the abductor is not the husband. He is just a really crazy guy who adbucted the man at random, toyed with him until he revealed the affair, and pretended to be the avenging husband. That wasn't nearly as disturbing as the scene above, but every scene was dark in some way.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 02:02:48 PM »

a few years ago some guy got in serious trouble because he posted a violent/offensive/gory story he wrote on the net - he got in trouble because the main characters in his story were The Spice Girls, and they all died horrific deaths in hs story - and I mean serious trouble as in lost his job, fined etc...

so I suppose the moral is be careful if you think about including a real life person in any of your stories...I'm trying to find this guy's name and more about the story but can't seem to turn up much. it was on the news/in the papers a few years back though

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »

Ever write something dark that makes you wonder if there's maybe something wrong with you?

I'm currently writing a script in which an incestuous, drug-addicted brother and sister take in a teenage prostitute who is hiding from her abusive husband.  Horrible things happen, then the brother and sister decide they need to kill the prostitute since she's the only witness to what they've done.  They kill her via poisoning.  Thing is, by this time she has grown to like and trust them, and dies blathering deliriously and happily about how they are the only people she's ever known who cared about her.

I had to take a step back and wonder how I can think up awful stuff like that.
Sounds kind of brilliant, insightful... sad.  Hurtful delusion is powerful drama if you handle the material right.  Your gut knows the universe of possibilities that people are capable of; if you can marry motivation to such possibility, you could have some heady drama or hot sh!t.  You might even make that idea the whole point of your story. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:29:46 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 12:19:46 AM »

Ill sometimes write song lyrics that are extremely violent and offensive. I sometimes share them with closer friends but they are not something I'd show to people I sorta know. I don't think their is a problem with it. After all in the inside well all are pretty violent.

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 11:45:51 PM »

When I was drunk I wrote some really really messed up poetry when I was in college. At the end the main character shot his head clean off his body and was happy to do so. Infact he felt relief.

Drink  Drink Drink Drink Drink + writing = WTF

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 08:53:27 AM »

A few years ago I was working on a screenplay about a guy in the 1930s who nailed his triplet daughters shut in a wooden crate in his barn and left them there to die slow deaths.  Fast forward to modern times when the crate (complete with sratches inside where the girls tried to claw their way out) is on display in a carnival sideshow.  A writer sees it and decides to do a magazine article about the murders, so he goes to the town where the girls were killed and . . . I never finished writing it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »

Wow you guys are messed up. My stories are about nice things, like unicorns molesting rainbows. Smile

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »

Wow you guys are messed up. My stories are about nice things, like unicorns molesting rainbows. Smile

Well, including unicorns or rainbows in anything immediately ups the wholesomeness quotient, and you, my friend, write about both.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  ? for you author-types ... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.