Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:55:25 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Phenomena (1985) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Phenomena (1985)  (Read 1738 times)
Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 12, 2011, 02:00:16 PM »

Mmm, Jennifer Connelly...

Small | Large

*Ahem* Anyhow, I've known of this film for awhile, but have only recently been curious enough to add it to my Netflix queue.
Anyone recommend it? I'm more into quirky, more off-beat horror movies in general, so this seemed right up my alley. And even if I don't end up liking it, I still have Ms Connelly to look at.... *grins*
Yes, I know I just posted about it beforehand, but I figured this film didn't have a thread yet anyway, I might as well...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:02:59 PM by Kaseykockroach » Logged

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
claws
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:24:53 PM »

Personally I wouldn't categorize Phenomena as a bad movie, and Jennifer Connelly was only 14 years old when she shot the movie  Bluesad Wink
Is this your first Argento movie? If you like 80's Euro-Horror then you will most likely enjoy Phenomena.
voltron
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »

I agree with claws, this doesn't deserve to be in the "bad movies" section because it is a very good Argento film. You will not be dissapointed once you see it.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Kaseykockroach
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:22:20 PM »

Oh, I only put it here because this is where I prefer to put lesser-known monster/horror movies in general. It just feels more 'fitting', for lack of a better way to put it. Nothing against it. =p
This film has bugs, a monkey, an epic decapitation, a kid with a cool mask the film crew got from Wal-mart I-I MEAN a kid with a hideously deformed face, Jennifer Connelly... What's not to love?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:24:36 PM by Kaseykockroach » Logged

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 06:25:47 PM »

Dario Argento's only really good movie.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:16:10 AM »

Dario Argento's only really good movie.

I dunno about that....I enjoyed DEEP RED and the BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMMAGE quite a bit....
That being said-PHENOMWNA is an excellent film-It has Donald Pleasance and a chimp with a straight razor!
How can you go wrong?  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 12:32:33 PM »

PHENOMENA is okay.  I saw the cut U.S. version during its theatrical release (it was called CREEPERS) and it was terrible.  Then I bought the full-length version (PHENOMENA) on DVD and it made a lot more sense.  Still not one of my favorite Argento films, but it's worth watching.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Kaseykockroach
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »

Just watched it. I do not regret paying full price at Movie Trading Company.
"I love you...I love all of you..."
 I loved this movie. I love the fact that there is one line of narration in the entire film, spoken about twenty minutes in. I love that in that one line of narration, they mispronounce the name 'Richard Wagner.' I love that there is a chimp with a straight razor (in homage to Poe's "The Murders in the Rue Morgue"). Between this and SUSPIRIA, it is clear that Dario Argento loves maggots, retching, girls' boarding schools, brutal murders, and the volatile combination of all four. I love that he loves that. I love that there's not only ladybug POV, sleepwalking POV, murderer POV, and Great Sarcophagus POV, but there's also MAGGOT POV.  I love the inappropriate use of heavy metal, the baroque visuals, the viscerality, the Bee Gees & Richard Gere references, the charming and sympathetic Donald Pleasence (in spite of Argento dialogue), the evocative soundtrack, the storybook atmosphere...
In fact, there's nothin' NOT to love here.
Wonderfully insane film indeed.

Torgo

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 06:13:59 PM »

The full director's cut of Phenomena (and not the horribly truncated American cut called Creepers) is actually my personal favorite Dario Argento film of all time.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 01:16:14 AM »

I really liked this as a kid but haven't seen it since then.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Cthulhu

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 09:55:54 AM »

Awesome! There's a f**kin chimp with a razor blade in it! That's all you need to know!
ChaosTheory

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »

I LOVE Phenomena!!  I like Argento but the issue I tend to have with his movies is that they take themselves too seriously, even though they're not all that serious storywise.  Phenomena just brings the crazy.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Phenomena (1985) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.