Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:31:32 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Super 8 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Super 8  (Read 2731 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 12, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »

I usually trust everything J.J. Abrams does. Spielberg as well. But Super 8 isn't worth watching; it's generic, contrived, over done, and overall disappointing. It's really not worth watching. The characters are bland and 2 dimensional, the main protagonists are whiny and annoying, and they overcome the antagonizing force by talking it down, That's almost as stupid as "The power of love".

I'd give it a 5/10.

Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 04:55:28 PM »

An entertaining but uninteresting, forgettable hurricane of cliches and rehashes.
Yes, we get it. The main character's mother is dead. Please stop milking that every ten minutes. And enough of the 'jump scares'. It's annoying, not scary. And the portrayal of the military's just painful and pathetic. The only thing missing was giving them curly mustaches and top hats.
It captures of the feel of those 80's movies as intended, but nothing else, no substance. There's no vision or point of view behind it, no personality to the setting, characters or story. It practically feels more like a rip-off than an homage. Just put The Goonies, Explorers, E.T and Cloverfield in a blender, and you get this thing. You're better off just watching the first two movies.
I will say this, though: That 'film' during the credits was EPIC. Totally worth it just for that.

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:26:59 PM »

But Super 8 isn't worth watching; it's generic, contrived, over done, and overall disappointing.

Sounds like everything else with Abrams' name on it.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 08:26:41 AM »

But Super 8 isn't worth watching; it's generic, contrived, over done, and overall disappointing.

That's cool if you think so.

Personally I enjoyed Lost quite a bit (the first three seasons in particular and the rest to a lesser extent), and Cloverfield.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »

That's cool if you think so.

Personally I enjoyed Lost quite a bit (the first three seasons in particular and the rest to a lesser extent), and Cloverfield.

I like Fringe and Star Trek.

Torgo

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 06:10:58 PM »

I thought that Super 8 was a fantastic film and gave it ***1/2 out of ****.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
dean

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:55:40 AM »

I enjoyed it, but I still get annoyed by all the lens flare.

Sooooooo much lens flare...

In any case, the film was a fun throwback to the old films I used to watch growing up [eg Goonies, E.T, Flight of the Navigator.] a good, though not necessarily great cast of kids, an interesting, though somewhat conflicting monster, and it had a few jump scares in it that I wasn't expecting.  It was also a touch more violent than I expected, which was a pleasant surprise.

**Spoilers***

I can't help but feel like the fathers did nothing, and added nothing to the film.  They could have deleted every single scene with either father and it wouldn't have made a difference.  If they had saved their kids, or did something other than just show up at the end then the characters would have progressed and that thing called 'character development' would have worked, but they built it up for naught.

The other thing that annoyed me, though not as bad, was that we treated the alien so bad that he hates us, he kills a bunch of people, yet we're supposed to feel sorry for him?  I get it, but Abrams didn't really give him a whole heap of redeeming characteristics other than a slightly human expression near the end.  I couldn't help but get the vibe that he'd return to Earth with his mates later and that would be 'War of the Worlds'...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »

I saw the trailer, which did not make me inclined to see the film. I will say that it got a fairly positive review from the film critic in our city's alternate weekly, which I always read every week, if only to keep up with what is playing in the local cinema. He saying he thought it was a better film than Abrams' "Star Trek."

The film critic did bring up one point about the alien, which I thought was interesting. Because of who the alien killed, the film critic said, he thought the filmmakers were pointing to the fact that the alien was suppose to be an angel. Any response to that opinion.
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 08:10:11 PM »

I really liked it.  I saw it without the 3D treatment.  Yes, the ending was cheesy and the plot cliched.  But it made me all nostalgic for Goonies and It.  I thought it was really enjoyable! TeddyR
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Super 8 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.