Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:56:18 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Popular but False Urban Myths « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Popular but False Urban Myths  (Read 2742 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: June 14, 2011, 01:08:29 PM »

This is kind of a "grind my gears" sort of topic, but I thought it was interesting enough to dedicate a thread to.

People who perpetuate common urban myths matter-of-factly, as if they are proven fact, kind of get on my nerves. Some of them are so enduring that almost nobody bothers to question their validity. I'm no WyreWizard here, Wink , but I do get annoyed by urban myth portrayed as fact. Here are some examples:

The sugar high: People say, don't give kids sugar or they'll get hyper. This is a myth. There are no peer-reviewed, conclusive studies establishing that consuming sugar gives one a sugar high. Complete baloney. Now, giving a kid chocolate, which also contains caffeine, CAN have an effect, although probably not as much as may be expected.

People only use 10% of their brains: This one annoys the crap out of me, and the myth is so enduring, and people just assume that this is some kind of proven fact, as a means to explain things like Einstein's intellect. "Well, he used more of his brain than other people." Thank you, armchair professor. Most of the human brain is active most of the day. About the only time the brain may be functioning at 10% is when we're at rest. And even then it's probably more.

Coca-Cola can dissolve a penny overnight: You'd think that, as easy as it would be to simply put a penny in a cup of Coke and leave it there overnight, this one wouldn't be so prevalent. But, like most common urban myths, nobody bothers to actually test it out, or even think it out. Really? So you think that a penny, which is far thicker than the thin aluminum cans they ship the stuff in is going to dissolve overnight? Acidic? Yes. Bad for you? Yes. But it's not battery acid for crying out loud.

It's a ranting day for me. I haven't had one in a while. Can you think of some other silly myths?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
claws
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:21:27 PM »

I think we did this not too long ago http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,133040.0.html   Wink
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 01:41:51 PM »

I think we did this not too long ago http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,133040.0.html   Wink

Now I feel sad  Bluesad

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:57:02 PM »

What the heck, let it ride!!! BounceGiggle

That snakes are slimy.  I've caught and handled snakes my whole life, and unless you grab one right out of a mud puddle (not recommended), they are dry and leathery, NOT slimy.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 12:40:10 AM »

Famous Urban Legends are always spread around my high school (Most NSFW). Luckily I read Snopes when I was in Middle School so I knew when people were BS'ing.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:24 AM »

The whole "don't go in the water for 45 minutes after eating" thing is a line of crap as I understand.

The whole "Someone invented a carburetor that will make a car get 200 MPG but the oil companies bought the patent" crap is a load. Firstly, that would just allow them to charge more for a gallon of gas, and secondly, almost all the energy in gasoline is accounted for, and the carburetor has little to do with the efficiency, the problem lies in the fact that turning chemical energy into heat, then turning that heat into rotational force is very inefficient. Think about this: You have a car, and it really isn't insulated very well on the inside: If you shut off the engine, the inside of the car gets cold pretty fast. You have this HUGE radiator that is cooling the engine, even in  the bitterest of cold. You also have this very small, cheaply built radiator in your heater that is used to heat the inside of the car, and it works very well for that in most cases, even at 30 below, the heater in my car is on a fairly low setting to warm incoming air enough to keep the inside warm. Well the radiator is expelling much more heat that is just a byproduct of the engine itself, all heat that used to be gasoline. There are cars that get very good gas mileage, but the all do so by using things like an engine that is tailor made for getting good mileage at the cost of other things like performance and cost, use lighter and lighter vehicles, using some form of additional power such as regenerative braking. It seems to me that it is very easy to turn just about any form of energy into heat, but not so easy to turn heat into other forms of energy. Even then, they don't approach 200 MPG and still be what an everyday Joe could use as transportation.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:50:55 AM by ghouck » Logged

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 02:45:33 AM »

Ghouck is right, heat is essentially the epitome of wasted energy. Energy turned to heat is basically garbage, unless you're freezing to death.

I do have a special hatred for the idea that we only use 10% of our brain. The amount of the energy you have to expend every day to keep your brain going is shocking. Our brains are gigantic energy sinks. If we only had 10% energy efficiency we would have all been eaten by baboons years ago.

Here's an urban myth I have to get into fight almost every day:

You are more protected if you do not sign you credit/debit cards.

Their is the idea that if you do not sign you credit/debit card, you are protecting yourself. The reality is that if you do not sign your card, it is not valid. Not my rules, that's what the credit card companies say. It is literally the case that if you do not sign your card, it is not valid.

Since I work for a government agency, I have to enforce this. You would not believe how angry people get.

Okay, here is what the credit card agencies have to say. If the card is not signed, I have to make sure you sign it and I have to make sure that the signature matches the signature matches the signature on the ID you provide me. It may be the case that other agencies let it slide, but this is the rules laid down by Visa and pretty much every credit agency.

Here's the flipside. If the card is signed, I do not have the right to ask for ID. I can request ID, but the card-owner does not have to provide it. I have to accept it. Once again, the rules provided by they credit card agencies.

So here's the reality. Until you sign your credit/debit card, it should be useless. Even if you write "See ID" I can not take it. But once somebody signs it, anybody, I can no longer question its legitimacy. I have to accept the card. Once again, not my rules, but the rules of the credit agency.

So if somebody steals your unsigned card and signs it, your open to every sort of fraud.

I have to argue this every day.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 02:48:01 AM »

That eating carrots will help your eyesight. WW2 pilots made that up so the enemy wouldn't figure out something...can't remember what though.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 02:53:24 AM »

People believe everything they hear. I don't believe anyone until I verify their claim with Google.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 04:07:05 AM »

That "ghost" that appears in Three Men and A Baby is my favourite, but there is another thing in that film that shouldn't be there. When the three guys are singing the baby to sleep, the camera pulls up, out and we see the house from up above. There is a face that appears to the left of the screen, apparently burnt and snarling.  Buggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »

At my elementary school, there was the myth that a ghost roams around in the school's attic at night. Truth be told, it's just bats! BounceGiggle

yeah no.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 12:43:53 PM »

That "ghost" that appears in Three Men and A Baby is my favourite, but there is another thing in that film that shouldn't be there. When the three guys are singing the baby to sleep, the camera pulls up, out and we see the house from up above. There is a face that appears to the left of the screen, apparently burnt and snarling.  Buggedout Buggedout

That movie doesn't need any ghosts, it's scary enough as is.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 01:36:09 PM »

Okay, here is what the credit card agencies have to say. If the card is not signed, I have to make sure you sign it and I have to make sure that the signature matches the signature matches the signature on the ID you provide me.

I love this one.  My signature changes just about every time I write it.  Often, it's a big scribble.  Sometimes I write my full first and last name.  Sometimes just my first initial and last name.  And my signature in the very tiny space on the back of the card is certainly different from my signature on a large space on a credit card receipt.  No matter how I sign the receipt, the cashier looks at the receipt, then looks at my signature on the card, then nods his/her head as if to say, "Yup.  Perfect match."  And there is usually little or no resemblance.  When I worked in retail, I did the exact same thing!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »

That eating carrots will help your eyesight. WW2 pilots made that up so the enemy wouldn't figure out something...can't remember what though.

Radar maybe?

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 01:54:43 PM »

Don't eat poprocks and coke...together or you'll explode

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Popular but False Urban Myths « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.