Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:59:07 AM
713403 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  IMDb Movie Ratings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IMDb Movie Ratings  (Read 3906 times)
claws
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:28:11 PM »

Any of you guys "trust" IMDb movie ratings? I think they are pretty reliable when it comes to movies that interest me but haven't seen yet.
I'm aware that every person has a different opinion about a movie, and while I don't always agree with certain ratings (Madhouse (2004) 5.5/10. Really? It was a P.O.S.) I think in most cases they are sort of spot on. Except for Troll 2 of course  Bluesad

I think movies with a 5/10 and higher IMDb rating are worthy (except Madhouse). Anything below 5/10 should be consumed with caution.

Thought? Opinions?
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 06:42:01 AM »

They seem to rate everything on a good movie scale over there, so most of the stuff I watch is down in the 2's and 3's.  That's makes it pretty useless to me.  Half the reviews seem to feature the lines "Worst movie I've ever seen in my life" and "I want my two hours back", and then they usually complain about the lack of originality in the movie    BounceGiggle

I find the ratings on the Netflix site seem to coincide with my tastes pretty well.  People rate bad movies on a bad movie scale according to how entertaining they are.  So I know if some piece of direct-to-video trash gets a 3/5, it's probably worth checking out.  While if it's down in the 2/5 range, I'm probably in for some pain.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:22:57 AM »

they're kinda inconsistant to me, which inspired me to write 2 books on the top 250 and the bottom 100

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »

They are a fairly good indicator of how the average viewer sees a movie, once they get enough votes.

New release movies are usually inflated and the ratings tend to fall to normal once its been out on DVD.

Also worth remembering: the mean vote on IMDB isn't 5.0, it's more like 6.5.  So if you see something rated in the 6s, that's about average.  Ratings of 7 or more indicate movies people really like. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:00:08 AM »

I agree with Jack. Netflix ratings work well for me, but all ratings require us of some common sense. Movies that are good bad movies, because they have some appeal, will usually have about 2.5 to 3 stars. Some, however, that have really low ratings, like less than 2 stars, are hit or miss. It could be an entertaining bad movie or it could be completely unwatchable. The nice thing about streaming movies is that it's a pretty cheap roll of the dice. However, with discs only available for delivery, I'm much more reluctant to put one in the queue.

Overall, I don't think any ratings are all that reliable. However, I do like Rotten Tomatoes because you can look up a movie and, in a pretty quick time, see what kind of movie it is, especially if it's a so-bad-it's-good movie.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 12:17:10 PM »

I use the imdb and rotten tomataoes as good indicators.

I used to use Amazom but realised how totaly biased it was.
If people are going to buy a DVD these a good chance they already like the film and will give it a good review. Although I do enjoy reading the bad reviews on the Amazon sites.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
voltron

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 02:56:36 PM »

I tend to seek out the really low rated movies myself. The "average" movie watcher generally don't seem to appreciate  good "bad" films. However, sometimes they can be right about certain movies ie: Scream (1981) which has very VERY little to redeem itself from it's awfulness.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Pilgermann

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »

I've noticed that there seems to be a general bias towards any kind of silly looking "black" movie.  For example, Who's Your Caddy? and Madea's Big Happy Family are both in the bottom 100.  I have no personal interest in them, and I'm pretty sure they're not good, but I feel confident that neither one is as bad as say, Click, which currently has a 6.7  A horrible and appalling film like Click has a pretty good score!  A lot of stuff featured on MST3K have low ratings, too, like The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!? (2.1) or The Brain That Wouldn't Die (3.6).  I don't think they're taken on their own merits and a lot of voters on IMDB are fake film buffs if you know what I mean.

Like others have said, IMDB ratings are generally a good indicator, but it's a good idea to skim through user reviews to get a better grip on what to expect.  Personally, I'll pretty much watch anything.

wuatenigenu
New Visitor

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »

I think the IMBD users (especially reviewers) are waay to generous with their ratings.. The first page of the user review section is always full of 10/10 ratings and analytic thoughts on the movie like : "One of the best movies I've ever seen" or "If you're used to .. then you won't like it but if you give it a try you will see it's special in it's own way"
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 04:51:14 PM »

The top 250 is very biased due to so many fanboys that vote 10 on movies like Inception.

SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:04 AM »

I lost faith in IMDb when The Dark Knight made it in the top 5 of the Top 250 after like a week of being released.  I'm not saying it was bad, but not Top 250 worthy.  I rate things how I feel about them.

Also, I once read on the help board there that ratings of 10 and 1 don't always count.  Depending on the number of votes of each they might not count them.
claws
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 01:53:47 AM »

I know for a fact that a group of people in Germany started a internet campaign to vote Daniel - Der Zauberer (2004) down without ever watching it, so it would make the Bottom 100. The reason was because of the star of the movie, Daniel Küblböck. He was discovered during a "American Idol" type of show in Germany. His fame didn't last very long so he made the movie to boost his fading career.
Daniel - Der Zauberer was directed by Ulli Lommel (!) and turned out to be one hot mess of a movie.
So in that regard the 1/10 votes on purpose did make sense after all. Here's the Trailer:

Small | Large
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 08:25:40 AM »

I disagree with a lot of the ratings on IMDB. Then again, the only movie ratings that I truly give a rat's ass about are my own.

In the past, sometimes there was a movie at a flea market or a video store that had something I was interested in but wasn't entirely sure of buying. IMDB would give me general ideas as to what the general movie public thought of the movie, therefore I could make a proper judgement.

But eventually, I stopped caring about the opinions on IMDB. Most of the reviews were just so childish at times (i.e. "OMG! This film sux so bad because teh filmmakers killed of my favourite characterzz!", "Worst movie eva!", "If this movie used CGI, I would liuke it better", etc.). In all honesty, screw IMDB. The only opinions about a movie that you should be concerned with are your own.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  IMDb Movie Ratings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.