Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:54:34 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Sobering Observations « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Sobering Observations  (Read 13303 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 12:28:05 AM »

I know EXACTLY how you feel, Burgo!  I'm 47,  yet some days I feel like I am right out of high school.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 04:35:20 AM »

Everything was fine in the Horror Movies Universe before the internet. People respected and loved the classics, at least in my large circle of friends and people I knew.
I was welcomed to "reality" once I went online. I wasn't aware that

Halloween (1978) ... sucks.
The Shining (1980) ... is a joke.
The Exorcist (1973) ... is boring.
Dawn of the Dead (1978) ... is cheesy.
Jaws (1975) ... isn't a horror movie.

Talk about sobering observations ...
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 07:56:04 AM »

Over the past few years, I have really noticed how quickly the years have passed (and are passing) by.  I have vivid memories of mundane things (like nights out with my friends) that seem like they occured 5 or 6 years ago.  But when I really think about them I realize they occurred 20 or more years ago.  I have a group of friends that I consider to be my "new" friends . . . yet I met them around 1990 when I was in my late 20s.  Even my teenage years don't feel like they were very long ago . . . but 3 decades has passed since then.  I'll be 50 years old in 2014, but I don't feel anywhere near 50.  I still enjoy playing games, reading comic books, and generally acting like a kid.  The years have really been whipping past me . . . a decade goes by like the snap of a finger.  Very sobering stuff.

Well, if you would like a silver lining, at least they are vivid memories, because the converse would be that you don't remember them.

What I find interested, not sobering, is that there is an entirely different kind of senior citizen coming in the next 10-20 years. I myself am 43, not too far behind you Burgo, and when I think of people in our general age range, I just don't see the typical senior citizen in the making. I wouldn't call it immaturity per se, but look at our interests compared to what the interests of our current seniors must have been at our age. I'm not really into comic books, but I am into bad movies and most my friends are younger than me. Odd, because when I was young I hung out with older people. It seems I've never really related to people my own age, but that's another matter. It's going to be a challenge for marketing people when people like us start entering retirement. That is, if retirement is even an option, and there's a sobering thought for you.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »

Let's just hope the world doesn't go the way of Logan's Run when we get older although there are elements now that suggests it's heading that way...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 07:49:22 AM »

Let's just hope the world doesn't go the way of Logan's Run when we get older although there are elements now that suggests it's heading that way...

I'd prefer that to "The Dark Crystal" with the Baby Boomers playing the part of Skeksis and us younger types being the Gelflings.  I need my preciously bodily fluids.

My sobering thought is that I will be 52 years old when Garrett turns 18.  That is not going to be good for my blood pressure.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 08:20:29 AM »

I'd prefer that to "The Dark Crystal" with the Baby Boomers playing the part of Skeksis and us younger types being the Gelflings.  I need my preciously bodily fluids.

My sobering thought is that I will be 52 years old when Garrett turns 18.  That is not going to be good for my blood pressure.

Oh I hear that. Not to one-up you, but I will be 58 when my oldest son turns 18. Yes, I started quite late. I think about that because he is quite strong already and might be able to overpower me in just a few years. Shudder. Then I think about those people who have kids even later than that, like Elvis Costello, whose wife gave birth to twin boys with him in his 50's. Yikes. I think I heard somewhere that Sylvester Stallone's dad had a kid in his 60's or 70's. That's just crazy.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
akiratubo

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 09:52:42 AM »

Halloween (1978) ... sucks.
Eh, it doesn't "suck" but it's not all that great.

The Shining (1980) ... is a joke.
I'll agree with that.  And it's not even a very good joke.

The Exorcist (1973) ... is boring.
No, it's funny!

Dawn of the Dead (1978) ... is cheesy.
The gray grease paint used for most of the zombies is pretty cheesey, but the movie overall is excellent.

Jaws (1975) ... isn't a horror movie.
It damn well is.  On one hand, you've got the visceral horror of a huge shark eating people.  On the other hand, you've got the more mundane horror of an entire town facing financial ruin and poverty.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 12:05:53 PM »

Hmm maybe things go the way of Zardoz and red diapers will become all the fashion.... Buggedout BounceGiggle

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 06:19:44 PM »

Oh I hear that. Not to one-up you, but I will be 58 when my oldest son turns 18. Yes, I started quite late. I think about that because he is quite strong already and might be able to overpower me in just a few years. Shudder. Then I think about those people who have kids even later than that, like Elvis Costello, whose wife gave birth to twin boys with him in his 50's. Yikes. I think I heard somewhere that Sylvester Stallone's dad had a kid in his 60's or 70's. That's just crazy.

Fred Olen Ray mentioned during our interview that his youngest son is just one year older than his granddaughter.  He was 52 or 53 when we did the interview, so I'm guessing he will be dealing with a teenager in his 60s.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 09:58:56 PM »

I recently realized that I am now 9 years out of high school.  I remember a conversation I had with an uncle of mine.  It happened in June of '02, when I graduated high school.  He basically said "Enjoy your summer now, and enjoy the next three years or so.  Once you're 21 and you're done with college and/or have a real job, time flies by at an incredible rate.  Next thing you know, you're pushing 40, have a wife, kids, a home, overweight, losing your hair, and you wish you could come back to this moment now."  He was right.  Granted, I'm gonna be 28 soon, not 40.  But the past ten years have flown by so much.  It seemed like I was just graduating.  I woke up today, realized that half my friends have kids, they've graduated college, have great jobs, wives, houses, are in the armed forces, and I'm a perpetual 18 year old, living at home, playing PlayStation and watching old MST34 episodes. Buggedout

Another thing: I have a horrible relationship with my father.  To the point that I don't even acknowledge him and went from about 5 to 18 without talking to him, then went from 18 to 25 without talking to him.  I talked to him once two years ago and not since.  In fact, I barely talked to him after he had a heart attack.  Mostly cause he is an alcoholic and I never know if I'm getting "him" or if I'm getting the drunk him.  Yet, seeing how he's turned out and growing up vowing to not be like that, I've slowly turned to alcohol and drugs.  Apparently, I can put em down just as well as him.  And that p**ses me off. Hatred

As another sobering observation, I work with the public in customer service as my job as a library employee. I was talking with an elderly lady who was telling me that she just gets so frustrated at not being able to do things anymore. I went with my go-to punchline, "Say what will you about growing old, it's better than the alternative." The alternative, of course, is death. She immediately countered with, "I'm not so sure about that."

What scares me/something I kind of observed, is that people of my generation seem more afraid of living than we are afraid of dying.  I was born in '84, which, depending on whom you ask, is the very very end of that Gen-X thing, or the very beginning of Gen-Y. 

All I know is, I've done a lot of stuff that should've killed me, and none of that scared me.  But, looking ahead, and seeing where we've been going as a country and knowing that I have another good 50-70 years ahead of me, I'm scared out of my mind. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 10:46:27 PM »

I think some of us try and cling on to our youth for as long as we can. I'm not so sure that's entirely a bad thing as long as one does it mostly in private. In public, I wonder whether such behaviour might not limit job opportunities and the like (not that it should) just because well after all most places are going to be looking for no-nonsense grown-ups who know what they're doing and been around and will get to work and not be distracted by whatever...anyways here I am ramblin' on. I too frequently play Playstation. I've been watching wrestling and monster and superhero movies/TV shows/Cartoons since I was a kid. Read comic books up until my adult years and probably still would if they weren't so expensive and I actually had any room left given my DVD addiction. Ramblin' on some more here. Sorry about that.

Anyways what surprises me most I think is how far away things have moved from what we thought was cool as kids and even sadder and more surprising is how far away from ethics and respect things have moved. Morals and ethics and having respect for those older and wiser was instilled in me from a young age but now so many seem to let their kids run wild, do and say whatever they want/please.  Yeah I'm ramblin' some more. And then we have this system that wants workers but mostly doesn't want to take a chance on training newcomers so most kids have to move away and get work experience and then come back home. And it seems the more dreamer you are, the more youth oriented you are in your mindset, the less success you have. And there's this startling lack of creativity in so much we see nowadays, such a blaissez (not sure I spelled that right) blandness. So many talented writers and creative people I've met in real life and online struggle daily just to get by while others have things handed to them because of whatever - inheritance, knowhow, kissing up, whatever. More ramblin' now.

With regards to alcoholism, there are theories out there that it may be hereditary. Not sure that's true but just throwing that out there. I think I read somewhere that's why C.M. Punk choose the straight edge lifestyle so as to not end up like his father.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:48:47 PM by JaseSF » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 11:03:11 PM »

I certainly respect anyone who does and says what they want. I say a lot of stuff with no regard to whom it upsets. Yet, I am mindful of elders and show a bit of respect. I worked in a nursing home, and had a lot of fun with them.

I did read that alcoholism is hereditary. Don't know how true it is. But, seeing that both my grandfathers, my father, a couple aunts, and some uncles went through it, seems to be an inherited trait. Or just a learned trait. Hmmm...

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 11:11:39 PM »

I've noticed several times in my life when persons caved and became hypocrites.  

I realize still that I'm naive.  

I'm a baby. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:58:32 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 08:55:51 AM »

I realize still that I'm naive.  

I'm a baby. 

Which is good to be aware of about one's self but never, ever, to count as a negative quality.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »

I have little faith in humanity. People, human beings, are horrible. Many of the 'greats' were horrible people, many of them leading or even coercing less horrible people to become more and more horrible, and for horrible reasons. People try and justify the actions of horrible people by pointing out the good that they've done, but isn't that what we all should be doing anyways? Many of those horrible people only do good in order to try and offset some of the horrible things they've done, sometimes the good they've done is not very big or very good, just vigorously PR'd. Why are so few actually doing anything good, and even fewer of them doing it simply because it's the right thing to do?

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Sobering Observations « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.